Dec 10, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Serenity 1 Meter by Proboat sail winch servo help

Looking for help on how get the sail servo winch set right. It does not ease and trim the sails correctly. The servo is operating properly..can't get the sheets to run freely. All help appreciated...thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2011, 01:27 PM
Boomer1
These are the only pictures I have of that boat - as you can see there is no real detail to give an idea of what might be wrong with yours. Your boat has a winch style sail servo set up- which is typical in these Chinese boats and these winches come without any tensioning devises to keep the lines taught -If the lines are not wound on the drum correctly, it is a bit of challange to rewind them properly.

Your set up appears to be a similar set up as the Hobbyking boats such as the Phantom and Monsoon.

I am familar with your new boat, but haven't seen one in person. It would be very helpful to see some good pictures of the servo set up, the booms and of the mast, so we can try to determine what is going on with it.

A picture of the radio will help us understand what features it has that might lend a hand in getting in gettting you set up properly.

Did they provide any instructions for you? Look forward to seeing some good photos that show the details of how they have your boat rigged. I attached a Word file that will show you how the sails should be set - this is a starting point for you.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 10, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Dec 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfinator81
Looking for help on how get the sail servo winch set right. It does not ease and trim the sails correctly. The servo is operating properly..can't get the sheets to run freely. All help appreciated...thanks!
Don't have a Serenity, but with my Nirvana I solved a lot of sheet problems at once by replacing all the running rigging with Spectra 50 lb. fishing line.

Skinny, slippery, runs smooth, very tough, doesn't absorb water etc.
You can get it thicker at some kite specialty stores if you want.
Dec 10, 2011, 01:50 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen
Don't have a Serenity, but with my Nirvana I solved a lot of sheet problems at once by replacing all the running rigging with Spectra 50 lb. fishing line.

lilleyen
This boat has a different set up than our Nivana's do. The Nirvana has a stardard sail servo and servo arm - much easier to deal with than his
set up.

Once we can see some pictures, we can most likely sort his issue out.

Boomer
Dec 10, 2011, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, will get some pics posted tomorrow. The problem I'm having is routing the sheets around the winch drum and then placing the drum inside the retaining ring without binding the sheets. I am going to try the spectra line, sounds like it might be easier.
Jan 04, 2012, 07:14 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfinator81
Thanks, will get some pics posted tomorrow. The problem I'm having is routing the sheets around the winch drum and then placing the drum inside the retaining ring without binding the sheets. I am going to try the spectra line, sounds like it might be easier.
murfinator,
Haven't seen any pictures yet? Doesn't matter - I just ordered one for myself. For some time now, I have been looking for a Fairwind lll to buy but couldn't find one. This boat appears to be very similar.
I have been chatting with another forum member (Keith) that has been having a similar issues with his Serenity. He actually sent one back to Proboat as the darned thing just wouldn't operate the sails correctly - They replaced it for him (they have very good customer service!)

He will let me know how the replacement boat works out. When I get mine next week, once I get it put together, I will see how the servo winch works.
If it doesn't work - it will be replaced with a servo arm with more torque.
I have an extra S3801 Futaba - so that might be one choice. Time will tell.

Here are a few pictures of Keith's Serenity and some pictures of a Fairwind lll - not sure why the Fairwind pictures appear fuzzy but once you select them they open in focus. ???

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 05, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Jan 05, 2012, 05:44 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen

That slippery is an advantage till it comes to tying knots. If you light the loose end of the knot with a match and blow it out, a lump will form to hinder the knot pulling apart. A drop of CA wicked into the knot also helps.
Jan 05, 2012, 05:54 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
murfinator,
Haven't seen any pictures yet? Doesn't matter - I just ordered one for myself. For some time now, I have been looking for a Fairwind lll to buy but couldn't find one. This boat appears to be very similar.
I have been chatting with another forum member (Kevin) that has been having a similar issues with his Serenity. He actually sent one back to Proboat as the darned thing just wouldn't operate the sails correctly - They replaced it for him (they have very good customer service!)

He will let me know how the replacement boat works out. When I get mine next week, once I get it put together, I will see how the servo winch works.
If it doesn't work - it will be replaced with a servo arm with more torque.
I have an extra S3801 Futaba - so that might be one choice. Time will tell.

Here are a few pictures of Kevin's Serenity and some pictures of a Fairwind lll - not sure why the Fairwind pictures appear fuzzy but once you select them they open in focus. ???

Boomer
One of the changes from the FW 2 to the FW 3 was, if I remember correctly, a change from ABS to fibre glass for the hull. It could be that Kyosho are outsourcing the hull from Proboat.
Jan 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
One of the changes from the FW 2 to the FW 3 was, if I remember correctly, a change from ABS to fibre glass for the hull. It could be that Kyosho are outsourcing the hull from Proboat.
Martin
I am under the impression that Horizon/ProBoat doesn't make their boats, but buy from "Off Shore" manufacturers that private label and/or specifically make these kinds of items for them. I've come to this conclusion based on conversations I've with them regarding several of the boat's I have. Same as Hobby King and others do.

There is a Kyosho distribution center in Lake Forest, CA which is not far from my home. I have been over there several times to gather information, and to pick up some parts. Nice folks - they are a out of Japan, not China - their production is Head Quartered in Atsugi, Kanagawa. My point being, all of the boats I have from Proboat which include: their Classic Runabout, Motor Life Boat, Miss Geigo and now the Serenity were made in China.

Out curiosity about the Serenity, I asked Keith to send me some pictures of his boat so I could see better photos than the ProBoat web site has of this boat. From those pictures and from the conversations I have had with Keith (not Kevin, sorry about that Keith) the boat is nicely made, a handsome craft with some scale to it. I am draw to scale looking boats - a weakness I guess - some don't sail as well as others, but hey it's my money and I like to look and sail boats that are realistic.

After watching the ProBoat promotional video on their web site, it appears I may have a little work ahead of me to get it to sail to it's potential. In the video it appears to be light in the keel and the sails appear poorly tuned if at all, and Keith reported his first boat might not have been balanced properly?

Those things should be with in my ability to address. (I hope!) I like to buy from ProBoat for a number of reasons - besides the eye appeal their boats have, like Tower Hobbies they take very good care of their customers.

Once I receive the boat and put it together, I will post some photos so you guys get a better look at one. I like new boats and enjoy the discovery process. I have done a few kit boats a V 32, and some Micro Magic's, Seawinds, Yamaha's and most recently a V 12 Footy and just started working on a Blackstar 36. At some point I want to build an IOM - be better equipped to do a real build once I move into my new home - it will have a dedicated hobby shop in it! The wife is not to keen on my working on my RC models in the house.

These kinds of boats are fun to have and don't take a lot of time to set up, and I enjoy sailing more than the time in the shop. That's me - many like the time in the shop more - to each his own.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 08, 2012 at 02:53 PM.
Jan 05, 2012, 01:25 PM
Useful Idiot
Proboat could be an (exclusive?) sales outlet for a Chinese manufacturer. That manufacturer may have liked the look of the FW and made a good facsimile of the hull. My guess would be that the "geometry" of the Chinese boat may not have been as carefully studied as the FW, resulting in inherant weather/lee helm, which would need correction. The rest of the fittings/rigging may well have been built to a price. It is presumably an entry level boat and most customers will not be aware of any shortcomings.
Jan 05, 2012, 04:33 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
Proboat could be an (exclusive?) sales outlet for a Chinese manufacturer. That manufacturer may have liked the look of the FW and made a good facsimile of the hull. My guess would be that the "geometry" of the Chinese boat may not have been as carefully studied as the FW, resulting in inherant weather/lee helm, which would need correction. The rest of the fittings/rigging may well have been built to a price. It is presumably an entry level boat and most customers will not be aware of any shortcomings.
Time will tell. Once I get a close look at the boat, I can determine the quality of their mold work. If I can find some one around me that has a FW lll it would be fun to compare the two boats side by side. Once when I visited the Kysoho office near my home some years back they showed me a FW lll. It was a bit pricey for me so I opted not buy one. DER!

Maybe the Serenity can fill the void?

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 08, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Jan 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
I too am new to the sailing side of the rc world. I really like the looks of this boat along with the Nirvana. I really would like some good input on both if possable.

Andy
Jan 05, 2012, 10:27 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireforthall
I too am new to the sailing side of the rc world. I really like the looks of this boat along with the Nirvana. I really would like some good input on both if possable.

Andy

Andy
Just about everything there is to know about Nirvana's can be found on the Nirvana thread on this forum. Link to that thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...94969&page=277

Besides this thread there is another one with some interesting dialog on the Serenity. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1428180

My position is for a person just coming into RC sailing there is no better choice than a Nirvana. The Nirvana thread can help you understand why I and many other RC sailors feel this is true Nirvana.

Please take some time to go to the beginning of the Nirvana thread and read forward the latest posts. It is the most active thread on the forum -

Regarding the Serenity, I just ordered one, but have two Nirvana's in my collection. Just an FYI.

Do you have any specific question about either or both boats.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 06, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Jan 05, 2012, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Andy
Just about everything there is to know about Nirvana's can be found on the Nirvana thread on this forum. Link to that thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...94969&page=277

Besides this thread there is another one with some interesting dialog on the Serenity. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1428180

I position is for a person just coming into RC sailing there is no better choice than a Nirvana. The Nirvana thread can help you understand why I and many other RC sailors feel this is true Nirvana.

Please take some time to go to the beginning of the Nirvana thread and read forward the latest posts. It is the most active thread on the forum -

Regarding the Serenity, I just ordered one, but have two Nirvana's in my collection. Just an FYI.

Do you have any specific question about either or both boats.

Boomer
No questions as of yet, just interested in your thoughts. I have read all the pages on the Nirvana. Like you I am very visual, so i like things to look "real". I have read all of Steve's page also.
Jan 06, 2012, 10:55 AM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireforthall
No questions as of yet, just interested in your thoughts. I have read all the pages on the Nirvana. Like you I am very visual, so i like things to look "real". I have read all of Steve's page also.
Andy.
Choosing a first RC boat can be confusing - Having read the Nirvana post you have been exposed to lots of good dialog on the Nirvana and other RC boats as well. Regardless of which way you go, RC sailing is a great hobby.
I always suggest the first boat should provide an experience that results in capturing the interest of the new sailor and hopefully such a positive experience that moves them further into the hobby. I know the Nirvana does this. I have said the Nirvana has been designed and built in such a way that is easy enough to be sailed and enjoyed by a novice, but complex enough to keep the attention of experienced sailors alike -

Having said that - there are a number of choices out there and worth considering. A very popular choice is the 1M Seawind. The best pricing on a Seawind that I am aware of is at Active Power Sports here's the link: http://www.activepowersports.com/kyo...boat-kyo40460/

Thunder Tiger produces several boats you might take a look at: Victoria, Voyager, China Team, ETNZ. Tower Hobbies has some nice discount deals going - Check out their super saver membership deal - can reduce the price of your purchase up to $50 depending on the it's price. Here's a link to Tower's sailboat pages:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7p?CATEGORY=BC

If you are into kits Victor Products makes some well priced boats in a wide range of sizes. They can be ordered ready to sail as well. Here's a link: http://www.victor-model.com/

I could go on, but if you are interested take a look at these and tell us what you think. Regarding the Serenity, I will know more next week. I will share my impressions once have eyes and hands on it.

Boomer

Quick Reply