Dec 14, 2011, 08:51 AM

Nice build

SkipperFrank, this is a great build to watch !
The planking went well, she is shaping up well.
Looks like you got a GREAT price too !
Watching with interest......
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2011, 12:57 AM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
SkipperFrank, this is a great build to watch !
The planking went well, she is shaping up well.
Looks like you got a GREAT price too !
Watching with interest......
Ahoy Tim
thank you for your wonderfull reply this is my first build thread posted here, I been searching the enternet for reference data on the Washburn tug not much out there from where i can find. This tug prabaly retired from service in the middle 1930,s my only guess. On richs thread he has some good reference that i can follow and he has some good pictures as well gives me some ideas. A good kit so far. Thanks Tim.

Boats
Dec 15, 2011, 01:10 AM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Cabin construction sub assembly

Ahoy
The hull is all sanded down ready for the fiber glass, as of now I am doing some sub assembly work not only to speed up the build but to make certain everything fits before the final finish is applied. Another issue I dont like is the PVC material that dumas gives you I am use to useing plywood but i guess its the new state of art that comes with these new dumas kits, there is another issue the main cabin comes in two sections as shown on the update photos cheesy in my book, dumas could have made this cabin in one piece as a whole the two sections useinf pvc cement and epoxie for the assembly issue No.3 the main cabin has no camber to the profile of the cabin i will work this in as the build progress. here are the update for the day.

boats
Dec 15, 2011, 11:35 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Pilot house sub assembly

Here is the update for today i constructed the pilot house sub assembly. no fit issues as to the construction tomorrow i will get the skylight sub assembly then proceed with the hull,

boats
Dec 16, 2011, 02:02 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Question

Ahoy
I am starting to resin my hull tonite, I have no fiberglass cloth couldn,t find any i tried the hardware stores and automotive supply stores as well. They have cloth but it5s to heavy of a cloth. here isw the punch line main question if i apply resin inside and out will this work instead of useing fiberglass cloth?.

Boats
Dec 16, 2011, 02:53 PM
The resin is quite strong. At least from my experience working with it. After glassing my first boat I thought the resin would be enough for a solid boat. At any rate, a local hobby shop to me has the lighter glassing material. Check your local hobby shop.
Dec 16, 2011, 08:18 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisP40
The resin is quite strong. At least from my experience working with it. After glassing my first boat I thought the resin would be enough for a solid boat. At any rate, a local hobby shop to me has the lighter glassing material. Check your local hobby shop.
Thanks for the reply if I go ahead and resin inside and out will be strong enough to keep the water out. I went to my hobby dealer today they have no light cloth. I have some heavy duty silkspan I wonder if it would work with the resin.

Boats
Dec 16, 2011, 10:54 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Sktylight sub assembly

constructing the skylight sub assermbly nothing more the 4 sides veneered with 1mm pvc. dry fitting everything I placed the two stacks on top of the cabin deck to check the overal view of the tug, I havent seen any of these tugs modeled before I amagine they not very popular with the modeling world most fellas likke the new tugs. things will be slowing down now i am prepareing the sub assemblies for painting and detail work then i will go to the hull, not certain if i shoulod go a head and resin inside and out without useing cloth the hobby shops in my area dont stock fiberglass cloth the stuff you get at the hardware stores and automotive supplies have heavier cloth then what this kit is designed for. I think it will be alright if i reswin boith sides of the hull cant see any water comeing in when the job is done.
Dec 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Skipper GREAT BUILD! And WoW are you fast!

It seems that glass cloth is optional. Some of the best out there never use it! And then some of the best out there always use it. FrankG who owns MACK products never uses glass on his boats. I had the same issue as you and could not find good glass and went ahead and did my resin without the cloth. It looks great, BUT I have not finished and have no idea how she will hold up after some years... That being said I realy have no worries...

Question... What kind of wood planks came with the kit???
Dec 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-A
Skipper GREAT BUILD! And WoW are you fast!

It seems that glass cloth is optional. Some of the best out there never use it! And then some of the best out there always use it. FrankG who owns MACK products never uses glass on his boats. I had the same issue as you and could not find good glass and went ahead and did my resin without the cloth. It looks great, BUT I have not finished and have no idea how she will hold up after some years... That being said I realy have no worries...

Question... What kind of wood planks came with the kit???
Ahoy Mike
god bless you and Merry christmas. the planks that come with the kit are 1/8" X 1/2" X 36" Hard balsa planks dumas gives yopu more then what you can use in the kit reason being is that in case you snap a plank or make a error, there is extra planks in that case. As quoted the kit smells good like burnt wood it must come from the laser work. Truely a good kit there are some issues I wrote dumas boats and gave them a piece of my mind on some errors in the kit not certain if it will do any good but perhaps in the future some of these errors will be corrected but not complaining. another error judgeing the pictures on the previous thread there is no rake of the twin funnels on the kit so I will build in the rakeing of the twin funnels I just came baqck from the hobby shop i purchased some paint so until i get the resin i will start the building up till finished of the sub assemblies. Yes sir a flaw of my charactor I do build fast when you are 72 years old and retired with nothing to do from going bughouse I settle down in my mancave and turn two on the build. My running gear set came in yesterday along with my 6 volt dumas motor.a good christmas for me i am a happy camper for certain. as for the resin I agree fiberglass cloth is optional with inside and outside of the hull done with resin should do the trick. As for the next post I am starting with main cabin house with the painting and fitting out then i will procede with the pilot house I alreadt fiulled in the seams with bondo letting dry wet sand same and prime. thank you very much for your reply I am honered.

Boats
Dec 17, 2011, 08:56 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

main cabin house assembly

Ahoy
here is the update for the day things starting to slow down now. turning to on the main cabin house, filled all seams with bondo wet sanded same. Installed the coaming around the cabin house deck filled the seams with Bondo and sanded same starting 3/4" from the bottom of the cabin house I drew a line for the trim useing 0.4 square pvc these will be notched out later to except the cabin doors. Tomorrow i will shoot on a couple good coats oif primer and check for any impoerfections then repeat the process. when finished I will apply the finish paint and add the detail.

boats
Dec 18, 2011, 01:00 PM
Great work! I will be following your progress!
Dec 18, 2011, 03:04 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperfrank
Ahoy
I am starting to resin my hull tonite, I have no fiberglass cloth couldn,t find any i tried the hardware stores and automotive supply stores as well. They have cloth but it5s to heavy of a cloth. here isw the punch line main question if i apply resin inside and out will this work instead of useing fiberglass cloth?.

Boats
resign will work but is better with glass cloth as it nal works together to provide a protective shell. Glass alone witl help protect bthe wood , but can alaso crack in time with humidity and use. If using the boat to due tug work, really recomend using the cloth as the wood can be damages with just resing alone.
Dec 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
resign will work but is better with glass cloth as it nal works together to provide a protective shell. Glass alone witl help protect bthe wood , but can alaso crack in time with humidity and use. If using the boat to due tug work, really recomend using the cloth as the wood can be damages with just resing alone.
Ahoy Keith
I have rolls of heavy silkspan from old balsa kits I had over the years will this work as well as fiberglass cloth ?.

boats
Dec 18, 2011, 04:58 PM
SKPERFRANK
Thread OP

Painting and fitting out the main cabin house

Ahoy
Here is the update for now on the main cabin house, pilot house and skylight I wet sanded the units down, when dried I applied a coat of red oxide primer to all the units. After they have dried to touch useing the kits hand rails as a template I drilled out the stantion holes and cleaned them up to rid the dust and excess residue. Then went baqck and gace same a light coat of red oxide primer. As of now letting it dry for a a coiuple good hours then i will do the final painting and fitt out the main cabin, pilot house and skylight sub assembly units. the build will go slow on this.

Boats

Quick Reply