Dec 08, 2011, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dx6i Broken Antenna

The antenna on my Dx6i has broken. I'm pretty sure this happens often but didn't see any threads back through several pages.

Mine has broken where the antenna will bend. Specifically, it looks like there was supposed to be a pin that goes in through the side of the top piece at the point where it bends that is missing.

I can stick the top piece back on and for now friction kind of holds it, but I'm hoping someone can tell me a better way to fix this on a more permanent basis.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2011, 10:31 PM
Thats EXACTLY what happened to me last night!!!!!!!!!!!! I think buying a new one is inevitable if you want it to bend correctly. I mean, its fully funtional if the wire isn't broken, just doesn't look very nice. If you get a new one, you'll break it right after it comes out of the box Just tape it, you'll get attention at the field Or you CAN get a new one for 12.99....
Dec 09, 2011, 12:37 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
I just put a new one on mine.
I think it's was for a DX5 CX helicopter but fits and work perfectly.
Dec 09, 2011, 10:31 AM
S.A.D. member
HH sells a replacement antenna for the DX6i. It comes with instruction sheet on how to replace it yourself. I did it on a DX8 and it is a straightforward process when you follow the instruction. You have to be careful when doing it and especially with the tiny coax connector to the RF board.
Apr 08, 2018, 05:00 PM
I found a good fix for replacement for one or both plastic antenna pins using small screws with washers:
(2) M2 x 0.4 x 4 screw(s) (2mm dia x .4 pitch x 4mm long)
(2) washers, .035" thk.

Steps taken:
1)remove the stock plastic pins at the articulated joint(elbow).
2)open up the two antenna holes that line up with the central post hole with a 2mm (.0785 #47)drill. DO NOT drill into the thru hole in the post that the plastic pins insert into.
3)on one side, place a washer on a screw
4)slide the screw thru an antenna 2mm hole and then "force thread it" into the post. After mild tightening, the end of the screw should be just short of exiting hole in the post in which it was threaded.
5)repeat for the other side if both plactic pins were removed.

The purpose of the washers is merely that of a spacer, used to keep the screws from entering into the antenna wire. If washers are not used, the screws can simply be anchored with some mastic when screwed to correct location.
Last edited by markbower; Jun 24, 2019 at 02:32 PM.
Apr 27, 2019, 03:03 PM
Just throwing this out here for anyone that has this problem in the future... Get a twist tie that has the silicone rubber feeling plastic around it, like the kind that commonly come with electronics, not the thinly covered bread twist tie... Get one that's black.
Insert the twist tie, it'll take a little twisting in pressure to get it in there but stick it all the way across all the way through.
Cut with flush cut pliers.
And now looks entirely stock, like you haven't modified it at all. It will have no effect on the antenna, and it will never come out.
This works on almost all radios like this... Although thankfully these last few years even the cheap radio seem to come with shorter stubby antennas.

Quick Reply