Oct 30, 2019, 04:51 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Hi,
I can't get Titebond II in Australia but I can buy Gorilla wood glue.
I notice that Gorilla has the same water resistance rating as TBII, ie: ANSI/HPVA Type II water resistance
Are they similar glues and do you think GG will give similar results?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2019, 10:05 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
They are both PVA based glues.....IMO, you will get similar results as with Titebond II.
Oct 30, 2019, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go and will report back later.
Nov 04, 2019, 06:09 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c
Thanks, I'll give it a go and will report back later.
Brett,
I have just bought some Sika glue labelled simply as "PVA Adhesive".

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-1l-...esive_p1661865

It is described as exterior quality with high water resistance, and is "cross linking".
I am about to use some to do my first covering job today or tonight. I'll report back after.

Jim.
Nov 05, 2019, 03:08 AM
Thanks Jim
I looked at the Sika product and concluded that it was much the same and about the same price.
There is also a Selleys product https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-...esive_p1710228 but it is a lot dearer.
I'm a few days yet from skinning my wings and will report back once they are done.
Nov 05, 2019, 03:58 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
There is also a Selleys product https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-...esive_p1710228 but it is a lot dearer.
I have reason to believe it is also very good.
However, I avoid their products for other historical reasons.
Like I have, so far, avoided to buy anything labelled "Gorilla Glue"; one quick look at the website was enough to put me off. Full of glossy posed pictures and marketing hype with zero technical information.
But it too, might well be a very good product.
This reflects my personal prejudices more that any concrete adverse evidence.

Jim.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Nov 05, 2019 at 01:27 PM.
Nov 05, 2019, 07:10 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
I will agree that there's too much hype for gorilla glue. But I always use a half off coupon for the store I purchase it from, so for the price it's a good deal for me. And it does work ok for my foam planes. I do use the gorilla hot glue sticks and do like them due to the longer cooling time...gives me more time to align everything before it hardens, and it seems to be as strong as any other glue sticks I've used.
Nov 05, 2019, 10:36 PM
Entropy is happening!

First proper covering attempt.

Well, apart from some foam wing tips for my 1/4 scale Spacewalker, this is my first proper covering job using newspaper and Sika brand PVA glue.
It went rather well actually, and I learned somethings along the way.
One is this; stay with the job after a section is covered and go back several times with cellulose kitchen sponge or screeding spatula (or both), to work out any bubbles that seem to be from entrapped air. Then finally, smooth out and remove any surplus glue/water mix using the sponge. Check again for bubbles etc. etc.
Nice process!
The result is looking quite good. I did only use one layer of newspaper as Hoppy suggests earlier. I'll try and remember to take some pictures before I paint it. Newspaper appears to me to be most suitable for this system.

My plan is to decorate using acrylic lacquer systems.

I think a whole new range of building projects have just been made possible for me using this system on self hot wire sliced XPS blue foam.
By the way, Hobbyking has some 3 mm foam board on special:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...0mm-white.html

There are varying reports on it, it is worth reading the feedback.
I won't be buying any, as I still have lots of free 25 mm blue XPS at the moment.

Jim.
Nov 06, 2019, 12:33 AM
Thanx Jim

I've been using the sponge method as well and have been getting good results (see El Gringo thread in this section)
I use brown paper from office works, it tightens up real well and is super strong.

Where are you getting the blue foam from? I can only get the orange foam from bunnings. I did have some blue stuff and IMO it hotwire cuts much nicer.
Nov 06, 2019, 05:01 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Where are you getting the blue foam from? ..........................
I was given the stuff I am now using. Not extra good quality; it has some impurities which occasionally interferes with the hot wire cut. But.......it was free.
This a picture of my current model that I finished covering the wing of today.

Jim.
Nov 06, 2019, 09:45 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Nice job Jim.

Couple of suggestions.
Try using an old credit card to squeegie the excess glue off the paper. The extra glue does nothing but add weight. Intuitively, I'm thinking it wil remove more glue than a sponge.
Using unprinted newspaper stock makes the painting job much easier as it takes much less paint to cover the print on the paper.

How about just using clear coat over the paper? It would make a great discussion starter. Paint the name of the paper on the wings and get the Newspaper to sponser you.
Nov 06, 2019, 02:26 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Nice job Jim.

Couple of suggestions.
Try using an old credit card to squeegie the excess glue off the paper. The extra glue does nothing but add weight. Intuitively, I'm thinking it wil remove more glue than a sponge.................
Actually, I was first using a tile grout squeegie (for applying tile grout), then the sponge. Alternating a couple of times. The firm squeegie seems to bring the glue to the surface, then the sponge soaks it up etc.

Quote:
Using unprinted newspaper stock makes the painting job much easier as it takes much less paint to cover the print on the paper.........
Sure would! I will try and find some before doing another similar covering job. I am convinced that this type of paper is really good for the task, as it has just the right degree of flexibility (not the most suitable adjective).

Quote:
How about just using clear coat over the paper? It would make a great discussion starter. Paint the name of the paper on the wings and get the Newspaper to sponser you.
A pal was in my workshop looking at it yesterday, he suggested the same thing.
While it would be novel and a talking piece, I don't think I could live with it!.................

Jim.
Nov 06, 2019, 04:59 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
LOL It would be one of a kind!

Maybe something more colorful like the comic pages would be nice.
Nov 06, 2019, 05:07 PM
Entropy is happening!

Sanding and painting.

The forecast is for good painting conditions for the next few days here.
I will sand and prime the model today.
Maybe some colour tomorrow or the next day.

It will be interesting to see the AUW when finished.
Nov 06, 2019, 08:58 PM
Looks good. Has a huge wing area so weight will not be an issue. I have 1200g planes with way less wing area and they fly fine.
3536 900-1000kv, 2200-3000 4s, 50A ESC 11x5.5 prop should perform well. Of course more is often better.

I will be interested to see the painting results. I am still a couple of weeks away from that and haven't quite made up my mind as to what to use.

Quick Reply