Jul 31, 2018, 01:53 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Here's a close up of this paper ? ( keep clicking on the image ) Sorta looks like the same material those recycled grocery bags are made of ... Ken , we’ll have to do a glue test eh …
I have some material similar to that. Got some disposable hospital gowns from a recent visit, stuff is tough and light.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2018, 02:24 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Tough way to get some covering.....
Jul 31, 2018, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Tough way to get some covering.....
You've obviously never wore one of those.....
Jul 31, 2018, 06:11 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Open back is drafty on the tail surfaces … hahahaha
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 31, 2018, 06:44 PM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
Especially when bending over....LOL
Jul 31, 2018, 06:59 PM
Searching for Bluecor
It's been a while since I read through this thread, but I thought the appeal to use the coffee filters material was its tendency to be more controllable in expanding and shrinkage during application and drying.
Jul 31, 2018, 07:51 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
I agree with that. Just got back from the shop, finished covering ailerons and half of the rudder. Coffee filters are very forgiving, you have quite a bit of time to do fine positioning and they don't tear unless you want to. I find that instead of a credit card I can use my finger to smooth out wrinkles and remove air bubbles. Instead of a spray bottle I'm using a sponge to wet the filters.
Aug 01, 2018, 06:59 AM
gpw
gpw
How about some of those Japanese papers , which are very light but extremely tough … ???
Aug 01, 2018, 10:14 PM
You mean like Esaki ? Which tears as easily as kleenex ??
Hell Coffee filters are only marginally tougher. Ease of application is one thing.. but resistance to Butterfly impacts must be worth something too ??
Aug 02, 2018, 05:22 AM
gpw
gpw
We had some imported papers with fine threads running through it , very difficult to tear … can’t remember the name … I'll check my stock ...
Aug 02, 2018, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
You mean like Esaki ? Which tears as easily as kleenex ??
Hell Coffee filters are only marginally tougher. Ease of application is one thing.. but resistance to Butterfly impacts must be worth something too ??
GPW may be referring to the type they use in their folding laterns, fairly light but durable.
Aug 02, 2018, 08:33 AM
Scratch builder
Paper with fine threads??

I'd be very interested if it as light as newspaper but tougher to tear.
Aug 02, 2018, 09:01 AM
Out the Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
We had some imported papers with fine threads running through it , very difficult to tear … can’t remember the name … I'll check my stock ...
Art Supplies:
Oriental rice paper with silk strands.

I played around with some product that is used to keep roots out of a septic drain field. It is available in large rolls and is made to bury underground. It is like a very thin coffee filter. I covered a bead foam wing that I cut with a hot wire. I used the water based poly and it made a very strong wing.
Last edited by High Flyin'; Aug 02, 2018 at 09:08 AM.
Aug 02, 2018, 09:22 AM
Out the Window
I also have some very thin but strong material that is used to keep roots out of a septic drain field. It is like a very thin coffee filter. It is in large rolls. I used it to cover a bead foam wing that I cut with a hot wire for a test. I used water based poly to soak the paper. It made the wing very strong.

If anyone would like to experiment with it, I can send you a letter sized sheet in an envelope.
Aug 02, 2018, 11:22 AM
Space Coast USA
Thread OP
It would be valuable to compare the coffee filters and other materials bend strength against newspaper.
See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=90 for the test conditions used for the newspaper bend tests.
Last edited by hoppy; Aug 02, 2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply