spackle???? - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
Foam Av8r
Ah Yes, Fast&Final, A foamie scratch builders Bondo
called patch-N-Paint at lowes
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
3d NOOBular
Hi guys... I hope some of you are still subscribed to this old thread. How big of a gap/hole can I fill with this spackle without something behind it. It is going on a 30cc gasser and some of the gaps I'd like to fill in the sheeting are up to 1/2" wide. I am wondering if this will work or if I need to patch in the pieces with balsa sheeting before applying.
Mar 27, 2013, 05:05 AM
i use it alot but a 1/2 inch gap is huge for this stuff. maybe posting a pic could help us answer you
Mar 27, 2013, 08:37 AM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSoulsDream
i use it alot but a 1/2 inch gap is huge for this stuff. maybe posting a pic could help us answer you
Thanks for the reply. Here is a pic. The big gaps are at the bottom of the fuse.
Mar 27, 2013, 11:29 AM
those are just a little too big. this stuff is more for smoothing thing out not really filling holes
Mar 27, 2013, 11:38 AM
3d NOOBular
Ok, I'll figure out another way for the big gaps. The story behind this repair is a deadstick that left my plane with the nose pointed up and about 20-30 ft to fall. There just wasn't enough altitude to get the energy needed for recovery.

Here is what it looked like when it "landed"
70" slick carnage (0 min 12 sec)

Here is a vid of the last flight prior to this. The motor was running great... I think there was some sort of electrical issue that caused the motor to cut out. I am taking a bec out of the mix that is suspect to me and the plane will be flown high for at least two or three flights before I start to huck it again... I gotta be sure the problem is solved. Anyway, here is the flight vid for anyone interested.

70 Slick on the new DLE 35ra (9 min 44 sec)

Thanks for your help on the repair!

-Nate
Mar 27, 2013, 12:59 PM
just Some Useless Geek
If there is nothing at all behind the spackle patch then I fear it will flex and crack out. If you have some sort of structure behind the thing then it's more likely to hang on. Think about something as simple as a card stock patch glued to the back side of the wood, then spackle over that. Simple, but effective. Use yellow carpenter's glue and saturate the card stock before applying the patch.
Mar 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek
If there is nothing at all behind the spackle patch then I fear it will flex and crack out. If you have some sort of structure behind the thing then it's more likely to hang on. Think about something as simple as a card stock patch glued to the back side of the wood, then spackle over that. Simple, but effective. Use yellow carpenter's glue and saturate the card stock before applying the patch.
Cool idea. Thanks!
Mar 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
At risk of being impolitic.. Spackle, Liteweight or not is the signature of sloppy assembly.
Want a perfect surface? :
a) build far more carefully
b) build of Balsa
c) Glass skin the thing
Mar 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
3d NOOBular
... decided not to say what comes to mind...
Mar 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Zen in the art of foam
I "Barely" differ from you, brathanke...
Mar 27, 2013, 10:53 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Yeah, uhh...are we not talking about repairs here, at least in this context? What has that to do with building carefully, or with balsa (?!?), or using fiberglass to skin the plane?

----

"Bare has not made any friends yet." Gee, I wonder why...
Mar 27, 2013, 11:53 PM
3d NOOBular
Rdy for covering... and no spackle... I had some wood filler on hand. I could make the surface smoother but my give a damn is busted and I don't want to add anymore weight. I ended up using 1/16 balsa behind the gaps and filled with dap plastic wood. Gee that stuff cures hard. It was like sanding oak.
Feb 13, 2018, 03:24 PM
Like many foamy pilots, I've been using light weight drywall spackle for years now to repair planes as-needed. My biggest issue is that I buy the smallest size at my hardware store and it should last me for years, but I find that after about 6 months, the spackle starts to dry out and lose the ease of application it had when fresh. Next time I buy a new can, I'm going to keep it sealed in a ziplock bag to try and prevent moisture loss - but I'd like to know what you all do to rejuvenate your spackle. Do you just use water? When I tried this, it mostly just made the top spackle runny and didn't evenly soften the spackle throughout the container.

I'm probably making this a bigger deal than it needs to be, but getting other pilot's tips and tricks might help me keep my spackle in a ready-to-use state and will help make my planes look better in the end.
Feb 13, 2018, 05:53 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Level out the spackle, then apply a piece of plastic wrap, laying it on top of the spackle and eliminating any air, with a large enough piece to go up the side wall of the container a bit. Some will pull away when you remove the plastic to use again, but start filling with that first.

Quick Reply