Dec 07, 2011, 03:23 PM
Onward through the fog.
Build Log

The Gull, a Taube winged Vee-Tail RET for fun.

I fell in love with the Etrich Taube a long time ago and attempted a few foamys that were based on it but I never liked the split rudder and tail assembly of the original. The tail on the C4 version didn't look right to me either. I have messed about with Vee-Tailed "Bird Planes" a bit and decided to just combine Gene Bond's wing with a suitable Vee-Tail and very simple fuselage so the Gull just happened to morph from all this messing about.

I named the original, and so far the only version, the "Pangangan Island Gull" because it looks a bit like a seagull and I live on Pangangan Island in Bohol, Philippines hence the acronym "PIG". But this plane is not a pig in flight and is gentle, well behaved, easy to fly but with enough throw it can get frisky. I like it and it's fun to fly. Keep it light for best results and it will handle light winds but flies best in calm conditions.
I will show a bit of the original which has been flying about a year now and is getting beat up and then I'll document a build on a new Gull with some changes to the fuselage construction over the original.

My construction technique is different than most of you will use because of the types of material available here so I expect, if anyone builds a Gull they will use their own techniques, foams, favorite glues and finishing methods. Again, for best results keep it as light as possible.

INTRODUCTION

I originally called the plane the "T-Gul". Taube wing and Seagull like shape. Here is the maiden video almost a year ago.

T-Gull Maiden b.wmv (2 min 9 sec)

Flying inverted is not recommended...

TG Crash Test b.avi (2 min 32 sec)

These videos are from a while back when the plane was new. Here's a more recent flight.

11 28 11 PIg b.wmv (4 min 55 sec)

And one more with a bit more action:

PIG 11 29 11 b.wmv (4 min 4 sec)

Now I will add some files, dimensions and specs for the original Gull.
See pictures below for information and views. The PDF file is from Gene Berg and the wing layout is transferred to construction paper for a 1/2 wing template. The top piece of the KFm2 wing is eyeballed from the center of the root to the tip and the bottom section is laid over a piece of foam at that point and the leading edge is marked with a felt tip pen so the top section for the 50% KFm2 wing can be cut with a razor knife.

I will go over all this in more detail in the build section.

I would like to thank Gene for the work he did on the original Taube wing. Without this as a starting point the Gull would have never happened.

I think Gene's Taub-Wing looks beautiful in flight and it has lovely flying characteristics which are enhanced by the notched airfoil that Dickeroo has provided.
Information on the KF airfoils can be found here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1117276

Additional information will be in the 8 or so reserved "Posts" at the beginning of this thread.

Thank you for your interest.
Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 08, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2011, 03:24 PM
Onward through the fog.

Building the Gull's wing.

THE WING.

Use Gene's plan. the squares are 1" on a side and transfer enough point to a large paper or plastic sheet. Carefully connect the points to get the outliine of the wing half. I made it about an inch longer than the plan shows. There is a tiled version for his Taube and I'll try to find it and put it here so you can use that to make a template.

The Pictures at the bottom of this page will walk you through the steps in putting the wing together using my methods and materials. You can use them as a guide if you want to build it differently.

The dihedral angle is produced by raising both wing tips 3" for a total of 6" on a 44" wing. I cut my panels a bit longer than Gene's plan show. I add about 1.5" to make them 22" per side. With the dihedral in place this makes the span just a bit over 43". This isn't critical.

With my materials I can do the wing in about 2 hours with more than half the time spent waiting for paint to dry.

Next Post will cover the tail and fuselage assembly and measurements.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 09, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:27 PM
Onward through the fog.

Building the Gull's tail.

The Vee Tail

Follow the pictures in sequence to build the tail.
I don't round the leading edges or taper the trailing edges because at the slow speed this bird flies I don't think it matters enough to go to the trouble.

As you can see I use a building jig, which I refer to as the "Bird House", for sanding and assembly of the tail. This makes things easier and faster for me and I like Vee-Tails and use them a lot so it pays to have this fixture. If you don't want to make something similar just be careful to get as close to 110 degrees as you can and for the construction part, you are on your own.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 09, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:28 PM
Onward through the fog.
The Gull's Fuselage

Follow the instructions with the pictures to get the fuselage completed. When you are finished the three components for your Gul will be done.

Do not paint and tape the top of the fuselage at this point. Only put reinforcement and Drywall tape and latex on the bottom and sides.

I will cover the final assembly for the airframe in the next post.

Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 10, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
Onward through the fog.

The Assembly

AIRFRAME ASSEMBLY

Follow the pictures for the assembly layout. This will go very fast and when you glue the wing and the tail make sure of the alignment for a good flying bird.

You will put tape and latex over the top nose back to the tail to finish off the airframe and then you can paint as per the original, as I did or you can paint whatever colors you like to finish off.

In the next post I will cover installing the motor mount, BW motor and electronics. I show you how I do the control horns and push-rods etc to finish and test the plane and then we'll do a maiden when the balance is right.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 11, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:31 PM
Onward through the fog.

Gear Installation

GEAR INSTALLATION

Before I install the motor and gear in the plane I want to know everything is working OK. My first job is to test the motor, receiver, ESC and battery on the test stand. I also want to make sure the receiver is bound to the Elevon Transmitter. I use an HK AT-6 on 2.4Mhz.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 12, 2011 at 06:19 AM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:38 PM
Onward through the fog.
GEAR INSTALLATION
Part 2

We will now get into the ESC, Receiver and Battery placement. Basically just finish up everything so she's ready to fly.

I will maiden this thing at the earliest moment and have Edna video the event so I can post it on Youtube and display it here.

As an after thought, most anyone who flies RC has their own little pet ways of doing things. This is especially true for scratch builders. Most of you will look at my methods and say: "HMMMMMMMMMMM... Interesting." and then take the baisc measurements and do your own thing. Same for gear installation. Think of this thread as a way for me to introduce a plane that I find fun and interesting. If you build a Gull based on this design, just keep it light. Build it to fly not to be bullet proof, whatever methods you use and I think that though it's limited in what is will do it's a good solid flier and should give a long life with plenty of enjoyment.

Most of all,
Have fun!
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 13, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:39 PM
Onward through the fog.
VIDEO, PICTURES
&
MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION

Maiden flight of the Gull that was built in this thread.
Gull 2 Maiden c.wmv (3 min 36 sec)

The first picture shows the leading edge of the original bird. That's the one with the bottom layer flat and the top layer at a 45 degree angle. The second picture is from the Gull built in this thread. It's the same as the original but rounded to more to a Philips Entry shape. My comments are on the pictures caption.

12/16/11 3;07PM
One of yesterday morning's flights. I have 7 or 8 flights on this bird so far and no complaints yet!

12 15 11 am b.wmv (5 min 15 sec)
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 16, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Dec 07, 2011, 03:40 PM
Onward through the fog.
Reserved 8.
Dec 07, 2011, 06:02 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
NICE Bird !!!! Beautiful in flight !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Dec 07, 2011, 06:51 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Thanks.
It's not one for the hot-rodders that's for sure but if might make a decent trainer and it's relaxing to fly if the wind isn't too strong. You can throw it around a little bit though.
Dec 07, 2011, 07:42 PM
Watt Waster

P/T Gull RC Flyer

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
I second the motion. It looks like a great flyer and I really like the Gull impression. Interesting V-tail/elevon arrangement. I am looking forward to the build. Thanks.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Dec 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hello Cybernaught.
When you refer to latex. Are you talking about latex house paint?
I sure am enjoying your build log!

Skip.
Dec 11, 2011, 08:14 PM
nice job!
Dec 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
Onward through the fog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Fish
Hello Cybernaught.
When you refer to latex. Are you talking about latex house paint?
I sure am enjoying your build log!

Skip.
Hi SF,

Yes I'm using Gloss White exterior/interior acrylic latex house paint. I've been using this method since all my local hardware stores ran out of packaging tape. It sometimes takes them a year to re-stock supplies. Hee Hee. I like this method and won't go back now. The results are rigid and light weight.

Glad you are enjoying the build thread. I'm happy that anyone is paying attention. I doubt anyone with access to better materials would build a plane my way.

Thanks to those of you who have responded so far. Your comments are most welcome.
Steve.
Last edited by Cybernaught; Dec 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply