Dec 11, 2011, 03:24 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
Thread OP
Last night, we went ahead and got the cowl cut We tried to cut it for just the valve covers sticking out, but it was barely too close. So we went ahead and opened it up for the whole head. Also the opening for the glow plug and a bottom opening for the exhaust. We went ahead and put on of the exhaust tubes on it to get it out of the cowl.

I have a couple sevos to use for the ailerons, so I went ahead and opened up the covering for the servos. Note, the servo mounts for the ailerons are multi-purpose. The are cut for smaller servos, like HS-82 or equvelant. There are score marks in there it open it up for standard size servos. So if you are thinking about this plane, you have that option available to you should you decide to use smaller servos
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2011, 02:24 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
These Ag Wagons are back on sale for tomorrow one-day sale!!! Not sure how many are watching this build but now is the time to get one!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...t-version.html

Rockin,
When you go electric you can get away with smaller servos due to no engine vibration which is probably why the smaller pockets. Doubt I would go HS-82 size though. Maybe HS-225s. Are the fuse servo pockets the same way???

Mike
Dec 12, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Rockin, When you go electric you can get away with smaller servos due to no engine vibration which is probably why the smaller pockets. Doubt I would go HS-82 size though. Maybe HS-225s. Are the fuse servo pockets the same way???

Mike
We took the night off on the build. The servo tray for the throttle and rudder are standard size. I haven't opened up the elevator pockets yet. But I hope they are standard size too. They were rather a pain to cut.

This plane would be a great electric candidate. The instructions even have a "Nitro Build" and "Electric build" section. The battery/fuel tank area has a slide out tray with a magnetic lockdown latch.
Dec 13, 2011, 07:21 AM
Cobra Driver
Nice build so far. Can't wait to hear how the maiden went.

I never even knew this plane was out! And I'm a crop duster fanatic. If only I had the money I'd pick one up for myself right now. Maybe later on. In the meantime I've got a couple of duster scratch builds to work on. One of which is a 1/4 scale Ag-Wagon.

Good luck with the maiden flight!
Dec 13, 2011, 09:36 AM
Red.....
Where did you get the plans for the 1/4 scale AgWagon? Got any specs on it, wingspan, engine size, etc..?

I've built the RC Guys giant AgWagon. Was one of the best planes I've ever had. It flew beautifully 'til I sieved through some telephone wires. Guess I was getting a little "too" scale..... I bought another one but Its really too big for my current space until I do some major rearranging.

Mike
Dec 13, 2011, 10:54 AM
Cobra Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Red.....
Where did you get the plans for the 1/4 scale AgWagon? Got any specs on it, wingspan, engine size, etc..?

I've built the RC Guys giant AgWagon. Was one of the best planes I've ever had. It flew beautifully 'til I sieved through some telephone wires. Guess I was getting a little "too" scale..... I bought another one but Its really too big for my current space until I do some major rearranging.

Mike
The plans are from New Zealand Aero Products. It's 1/4 scale so the wing span equals 123 inches. IIRC it takes around a 60 cc engine. I'll look at the plans again soon. I'm going to try and get a copy made to build off of so the originals stay nice and clean.

I had an old Kyosho kit built AgWagon up until last month when I traded it for another plane. It to flew nicely. I have also started on an 84" span Ag-Wagon from scratch. But I've sat that one aside last year and haven't touched it.
Dec 14, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
Okay, getting closer. In the past couple nights we installed the throttle servo, rudder servo and control rods for both. Both had only the option for the standard servos. They were pretty straight forward on the install. I tested travel and all with the radio.
It looks like the elevator could be Standard or Mini servos depending on which pocket you use. See the pic where I had the flashlight on the inside to show the pockets. I chose the standard servos. I installed them, and put each servo on a seperate channel. If you are using a Y, you will need a reverser for one of the servos.

The flap servos, even on a Y will not need to be reversed. The made provisions on the design to install the flap backwards on one side. HOWEVER, the stand-offs were made for mini servos. We broke them off and re-epoxied them in to accomodate the standard servo.

I bought the MPI Maxx Charge/Switch. It was too big to go into any of the solid areas that I could reach, so we fabricated a solid area in which to mount the switch. We cut a piece to fit into the triangular opening and the put pracing around it to make sure it distort while operation the stich, or inserting the charge jack.

The pilot comes out of the box very shiny and unrealistic. I spent about 3 minutes and added just a bit of detail to him. I roughed up his face just a little bit with some sandpaper. And then rubbed a little dirt on him and sprayed with some dull coat. And then rubbed a little more dirt on his face, forehead, nose and shirt to simulate grease, oil, or grime....or maybe a little Ag_Chemicals on him.

Note, some of the screw hardware is kinda suspect at best...Like the wing bolts. So just have your supply of nuts and bolts on hand to make sure it is built to your expectations. And as mentioned before, you may want a little beefier axle for her as well.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Landing Gear may eventually need to be a little stronger. I wish that it was a one piece gear instead of two halves. But we'll see.
Dec 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
I got one from the Brown Truck guy. Got it on the no shipping sales. Anyway, the whole fuselage was built with balsa plywood. I think even the motor box is made with balsa plywood. I also think the laser cutter went a little too far on the cutting. They should have left more wood in the plane. I will add some stringer to stiffen the cross-grain balsa wood. The stringers that were used on the bottom of the fuselage were a little too lightweight.

The printed covering was nice but will be a pain to repair/replace. Mine will be electric, the slide-in battery tray was a nice touch, but these were all built with balsa ply and no clearance space for extra strapping to secure the battery onto the tray. The paint on my cowling was cracked as received. My experience with that is the paint pop loose easily. Any shock load will make the paint pop off, bad primer?

I will start putting it together in a few day and I will add more comment as I go.

Brian, an EAJ
Dec 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your thoughts and insight Brian. If you choose to do so, 6 of the 8 servos can be mini servos...incase you dont have them yet. I already bought mine so I put standard sized in mine. Even though I have been working on mine for a week, I didn't notice that it was balsa ply. It feels pretty stiff to me, but then again, I havent built very many myself.

You are absolutely right on that battery tray. I tried to zip tie foam and my fuel tank to it and slide it in...the zip ties, even pulled tight, wouldnt let me slide it in very far. Also, after you put servos in, it is too long to slide out easily...you may have to trim as much as you can of the aft lip off of the tray, while still keeping enough on it to lock it down with that magnetic latch.

I ended up cutting most of mine off, and gluing a 90 angle on it and pushed it in with foam padding to push against the back of the tank to hold it in place and then latched it closed.
Dec 15, 2011, 12:41 AM
look... no hands!

Balsa ply

what your refering to as balsa ply is commonly known as lite- ply, and from what I've seen in your ag-wagon Rockin is more than adequate for its intended purpose, but as with most things is simply a matter of preference. I think it's a wonderful thing that there are forums now to reach out to other people and get their views and insight, I wish it would have been around when I started in this hobby any help would have been gratefully accepted.
Great looking plane Dude!
Dec 16, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
On the home stretch, my "to do" list is shrinking. We got the elevators hooked up last night. Got the canopy mounted. Secured the throttle sleeve. Set travel on the elevator and rudder. We didnt hook up the wings so I will do that today. But before I do that I wanted to run something by anyone that may have another type of Ag-Wagon...

They are only calling for 12mm travel on the ailerons. Is that going to be enough?

Here is what they call for.
Aileron 12mm up and down
Elevator 40mm up and down
Rudder 80mm left and right (Note, we could only get about 60mm without surgery )
Flap 35mm

One more note..even with the wings on, and fully tightened with the wing bolts, there is a small gap at the leading edge at the fuse. It looks like the fuse was not perfectly straight just forward of the wing tube. The dowels still go in the holes to secure then and there is no obstructions impeding the insertion. Not a huge deal, but more of an annoyance.
Dec 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
Rockin,
One thing I noticed on my RCGuys Ag was that she turned rolled really well despite all the dihedral. It was not exactly axial though. You notice quite a bit of yaw if you try to roll it hard. The opposite was also true when trying to do stall turns. A lot of rudder would also try roll the plane. Nothing happened particularly fast though so it wasn't a problem. Just reminded you that you weren't flying a precise pattern ship. You'll learn to coordinate rudder and ailerons. I had a lot of aileron throw but didn't really need it unless I was getting frisky. The RCGuys Ag was a little tail heavy and was fun to snap and throw around. It did get me into trouble once though. I was doing a low pass down the field and wanted to do a high-g yank and bank climbing turn away from me. All the aileron throw caused the wing to stall and I got severe aileron reversal. Instead of the aircraft heading away from me like I expected, all of a sudden I was staring at the nose cone and about to tangle with 16+ pounds of snarling aircraft. The ensuing ensemble of low level aerobatics must have been entertaining because several guys came up and commented on how aerobatic the plane was, and what a cool little tumble routine I just did. No way was I going to tell them it was a series of "oops and oh $#!ts" and frantic stick throwing to save me, the crowd, and hitting the ground in that order of importance.

Anyway..... Add more throw on a dual rate in case you need it then tailor your needs as you get used to the plane. If you do have to use the increased throw, be gentle with it at lower speeds.

Mike
Dec 17, 2011, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Okay, it is finished. We ended up having to add 22 ounces to the front to acheive the recommended CG. The model came in at 10.5 pounds dry. We did a quick measurement to come up with the loading at that weight and came up with approximately 29.1 oz per square foot. That is with all standard size servos. Again, it came with accomdations to use smaller servos if you need to save weight. But then again, only really the elevator servos being far enough behind CG to make much difference. So even with light gear, you would still need to add weight up front.

Weather permitting, we are going to try to maiden her today (Saturday) Will try to get some pics and/or video.
Dec 17, 2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin G
Okay, it is finished. ......

Weather permitting, we are going to try to maiden her today (Saturday) Will try to get some pics and/or video.
Good luck and fair winds!!!!
Dec 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
Thread OP

Maiden

Ok, maiden is done. Not without incedence. Not near enough roll rate on ailerons, almost stuffed it on take off. Still tail heavy, it was a handfull. The tail is real light on the ground, but heavy in the air. Motor died a few minutes into the flight, of course on the wrong end of the flying field. So I coasted her down wind and turned her into the wind. A few feet from the ground the left wing stalled and I caught it in time to keep from damaging the wing but it ripped out the Landing gear.

When you build yours, FIRST THING YOU SHOULD DO, is rebuild the landing gear mounting area. We are going to rebuild this one to rake the gear forward a little since the tail was so light on the ground.

It took quite a few clicks of right aileron to fly level, and a few clicks of up. I will also add a couple more ounces up front.

The ailerons need a little more throw than what the manual called for. VERY slow response at 12mm. Luckily I made that setting my low rates.

Very pitch sensitive on the elevator, which I assume was caused by what felt like tail heavy. I will tell more once we get it in the air again.

My video guy and the camera guy was the same person, so I have a little of both. But for now, here are the pics.

Quick Reply