This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 07, 2011, 02:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

those were the days, my friend: mustangs!

chapter 6: mustangs!
i have always been fascinated with the mustang. from my early days, when newspapers and magazines showed all kind of pics (it was ww2 then), and i did drawings of all of them: spitfires, hurricanes, p38-39-40-47-you name it. and then 1 day i saw in a magazine the most magnificent plane, shinning like a star, in polished aluminum. it was called na 73x. i couldn't stop thinking of it. later it was named apache-that changed to mustang-the p51. years later i discovered a kit at a gifts store and purchased it-that was the first model that i built. but never had the chance to see 1 in real life. when i was a youngster, i became aquainted with a pilot from the air force, and 1 day he told me that there were some mustangs at the airport and if would like to see them! he brought me and we were allowed to see them closely (no touch, please). there were a dozen of them, p51d, all in natural aluminum. i still see them in my imagination. nothing in my life stands as bright and clear as those planes. i have seen more through the years; dayton, hall of fame, you name it. many years later i saw 9 of them at oshkosh, and then... columbus ohio 2007: over 100 of them!
perhaps that's why some of my designs have some lines that resemble it.
i have so many books, magazines, about it; and my son, who is into plastic models, has put together some for me to admire, several in 1/72 and 1/48, from the prototype to the 'precious metal', with a griffon engine and contra-rotating props. i just can't have enough of it.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Dec 07, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2011, 02:51 PM
Bellanca Kruesair

mustangs!

me too! There is one sound you will never forget!.....A Mustang starting with it's little pop pop pop out the exhausts,and the mighty roar when it's firewalled and all those horses start galloping!! My last one was this past April at Toughkenamon Pa.I had a city boy with me visiting the airport at 7am.The Mustang had just refueled and was ready to depart.We were maybe 50 yards from the runway when he did his checklist.He lined up,locked the tailwheel and committed aviation.There were at least 5 revolutions of water vapor pulled out of the air,and the echoes between the forest on one side,and the hangars behind us,were about a half-beat off.You'll never erase that sound from my brain. Steve's first Mustang...What an impression!! Thank you North American!
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.

Quick Reply