This thread is privately moderated by Jim.Thompson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 06, 2011, 03:50 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Discussion

Success!

I pulled both wings from the moulds this morning, and they are successful! There is a slight blemish on one in the form of small bubbles too small to show up in the pictures. It will be quite repairable and is only about 10mm or so diameter. I am suspecting that it is my old blue foam offgassing come back to haunt me again! I had many vac bagged wings form bubbles when heated either in the hot box or in the sun when using this same foam. These moulded wings have foam cores aft of the spar.
And the only thing that I had forgotten to install were the servo cover spacers in the top skins! Not a major problem, but will have to be done on the next ones.
The weights are 425gram and 440 grams untrimmed. The joiner will be around 70 grams trimmed. No lightweight, but I was very generous with the resin. No sign of any resin voids!
I will type up a list of process and build sequence, get it laminated and pin it on the wall of my shed before doing any more. Especially for moulded jobs. I often manage to forget some small (or large!) aspect of the job.

But I am really pleased, quite excited actually!

Yippeeee!

Jim.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2011, 06:28 PM
closed due to popular demand
Congrats Jim! It looks like you have made it home from a long journey.

Your work is really inspiring, and it makes me want to make wing molds too, but I'm on another path..

Quick Reply