Dec 05, 2011, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Funbuild 5: Mountain Models/Molt Models P-38 Lightning (kit build)

My official entry for the funbuild this year is the P-38 lightning. Not crazy off the shelf odd, but I've been saving the build for this occasion. Stay tuned, I will get rolling soon. My plan is to include retracts and some other fun scale stuff.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2011, 04:34 PM
MPP
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Go Dan Go! Gotta love a Lightening. On board
Dec 05, 2011, 04:48 PM
whiirrrrrr
I'll be watching and building right with ya!
Dec 05, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
welcome welcome!

I plan on using twin blue wonder (24 gram motors) along with counter rotating 3 bladed props. I also hope to get some retracts and other scale goodies added to this one as well. It should be a fun process and I hope to end up with a nice fork tailed devil when it's all over with.

Baby #3 popped into my life recently, so my build might be on the slow boat for a bit. Once John says go, i'm all in, or as much as I can be!
Dec 05, 2011, 05:17 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Dan, you might want to take a look at this old (wow, almost 7 years ago) thread about building the MM/Molt P-38. Martin Hunter was an amazing modeler and craftsman, as well as an accomplished pilot. He was also very active here, and a moderator for awhile. Anyway, he designed and built his own retracts for the P-38. Reading through his thread might provide some inspiration for your build.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312317

Mark
Dec 05, 2011, 05:26 PM
Or current resident
What ever happened to Martin anyway? It was like he got po'ed about something and just left.
Dec 05, 2011, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mark,
I've looked over that thread and it's on my favorites. I just don't care for warbirds with permanently attached wheels hanging down. At this size, I'm sure I can find room for them. having space for batteries is another issue. I have a couple ideas on that one, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Glenn, I think Martin took issue with the groups and moved on. It's too bad.
Dec 08, 2011, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Edit: This one may percolate a while. check back in a bit.
Last edited by danrc; Dec 09, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Dec 09, 2011, 08:44 AM
Registerd Beaver
Holy smoke has FB5 started?
I can't find a thread on it apart from these ones you guys have posted.

You jumping the gun here lads or have I been on another planet

Oh - btw - great choice danrc, I'm lookin forward to this

Phil
Dec 09, 2011, 09:35 AM
whiirrrrrr
Congrats on the new baby!!
Dec 09, 2011, 12:21 PM
ParkScaleModels
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis
What ever happened to Martin anyway? It was like he got po'ed about something and just left.
it was a lot of little things...as I recall, the straw that broke the camels back was he was coming back home after a fly-in, had to hit the brakes and a number of his planes went 'crunch'. That was after a day of not being able to fly due to problems with electronics.

He's still getting his aviation fix though...he got his pilot license and is now a commercial pilot. I see him on instant messenger every so often.
Dec 09, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
ouch, that'd make me slump the shoulders and sulk for a bit too!
Dec 09, 2011, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Daniel. 3 kids, lots of diaper changes and less time to build. I need to develop a second identity that takes over after I go to sleep..
Dec 09, 2011, 05:42 PM
whiirrrrrr
Lmao! 3 kids is more than a full plate! All the best to ya.
Dec 09, 2011, 06:04 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Subscribed.

Martin did some beautiful work.

John said to go ahead and get started he would have the official thread up by the middle of the month. I would guess it is the same - put "Funbuild 5 - (whatever)" in your thread title, get a picture in the bones, one finished and one in flight.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 09, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply