Is it SEFF yet? - Page 9 - RC Groups
Jan 12, 2012, 09:44 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicVaughn
Hi,

Because of the new lake, the sportplane area will be different. We are working on several ideas. Flightstation will not be a problem. As for pylon, if we get enough interest and planes, we can make it happen. Lake is not done as of last week. I don't know when it will be full. Average depth will be five feet. Look for a lot of changes this year due to the lake and new sod. We will be protecting Mac's new sod at all cost. Yes, floatplane flying is in the plan.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll take all to the meeting.

Ric
Can you give an idea where the sport plane section will be? Most of us have been there multiple years, gotta' start thinking about a new place to setup perhaps?

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2012, 11:18 PM
Jack,

I think we will have the "plan" settled this weekend. When we have it all sorted out, we will post it. Right now there are a few options. I'll make sure to post it as early as possible, for everyone to make adjustments.

Also, there will be a "no walk zone" to protect Mac's new sod. A lot of dirt has been moved and sod will be put on this. We do not want to be the ones who ruin the grass. Don't worry, I think our new plan will work out very well for everyone.

Ric
Jan 13, 2012, 06:02 AM
Ditto from me on the previous comment for showers. Any improvement of and increasing the number of showers would be much appreciated.
Jan 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Ric, can you give us an idea of where Mac has laid the new sod? Is is just in one area, or is it a long strip parallel to the runway, or is it out by the new lake?

As for the depth of the lake, we only need a few inches of water to fly floatplanes. We may need a little more depth to float the rescue boat though .

Here's some videos from SEFF 2010 --- Flying floatplanes off "Lake Hodges" after a rain storm.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=32

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jan 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
The new sod will be where the dip in the runway was. It covers the runway and area next to it. I have a drawing, but don't know how to post it. Also, as of last week, Mac may put in some more sod near the sportplane flightstations. After the meeting I'll see if I can get it posted, but remember, it's going to be a moving target as new sod is laid down. We'll be going down early to mark out the field. This year everyone is going to have to pay attention as to where to pit and fly.

Ric
Jan 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Left, NO your other left!
Here is a video from the Hodges Hobbies site. It shows the lake placement. It is pretty hard to judge with out all the campers and EZ ups. But it will give you the basic idea.
-Andrew
DJI WKM X-650 Aerial View of Hodges Hobbies by Bill Davenport (5 min 14 sec)
Jan 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Ric, Once the field is laid out and set nothing will change???? The sod and no walk zones will not be changing durring SEFF is what I'm asking.
-Andrew

Quote:
The new sod will be where the dip in the runway was. It covers the runway and area next to it. I have a drawing, but don't know how to post it. Also, as of last week, Mac may put in some more sod near the sportplane flightstations. After the meeting I'll see if I can get it posted, but remember, it's going to be a moving target as new sod is laid down. We'll be going down early to mark out the field. This year everyone is going to have to pay attention as to where to pit and fly.

Ric
Jan 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
I'm more confused than ever! I don't see how we can have float flying without the sport planes flying over the float pilots heads OR in the flight path of the float planes? I knew this was coming and I've been curious if sport flying would move completely or if sport and float would have to take turns, after seeing the layout, I just don't know how float flying is going to coexist with all the other flight lines AND I'm now concerned any dead stick has a 25% chance or higher of ending up in the water. I'm just talking out loud guys, I love SEFF like a hot chick, I'm not about to leave her! ...but I still am wondering how it will all work ;-)

Jack
Jan 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Andrew, yes, when we get to SEFF nothing will change. I'm talking about what Mac said about leveling out some more area. No, it's all about protecting the new sod.

Jack, I don't want to post until everyone is has their input, but you "will" like it, just wait a few days.

Ric
Last edited by RicVaughn; Jan 14, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Jan 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Ok, Thats what I thought. Just checking. (or stirring the pot)
Thanks, Andrew

Quote:
Andrew, yes, we get to SEFF nothing will change. I'm talking about what Mac said about leveling out some more area. No, it's all about protecting the new sod.

Jack, I don't want to post until everyone is has their input, but you "will" like it, just wait a few days.

Ric
Jan 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
If the sport area was moved over to where the helis were last year that could eliminate any issues with the new lake area.The helis could go back where they were the previous years, or the sport area could go down where the helis used to be. Regardless of where they end up I will definately be there.
Jan 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Either way, it ought to be a blast!
Can't wait!!! This year I get to stay in a Pop UP camper instead of a pup tent! That is if I can find it after the strawberries.
Jan 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
I wonder if the pond will be clear enought to have lights on a sub?
Jan 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

First off, FM broadcasting is in the works. We are looking if we can afford it. That's info you can listen on your FM radio at the field.

We have settled on the field layout. I will see if I can get a image posted soon. Yes, there are several flight line movements.

Let me know about the pylon flying. Just what would you all expect. I need to know some more info on the course, speed of planes, etc.

Registration will open very soon. Randy is just finishing up the new page.

You all will like the new price of T shirts and hats.

Sportplane should have a 700 foot or longer runway.

Trying to get SEFF in the Special Events section now. Look for a lot of new info.

Ric
Jan 15, 2012, 09:17 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Rick,
In reference to the pylon racing these guys want to do. It's kind of s SIG (special interest group)

Sort of like combat...

seems like they could jump in say the sportplane flight line for a 30-45 minute window...... run 2 heats.... then later..... another 30-45? minutes for a heat and a main. Or spread over a couple of days if the number of pilots made it necessary.

Sort of like combat...

It's just an Idea.