How to level mCPX swashplate? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 04, 2011, 01:16 PM
Registered User
BladeUp's Avatar
Help!

How to level mCPX swashplate?


What are the steps to level the mCPX swashplate? Is there a video available? Note: DX4e controller

Thanks
Last edited by BladeUp; Dec 04, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2011, 02:26 PM
certified crash instructor
You can eyeball it, or get the swash tool http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.p...emart&Itemid=1 Once the swash is level you need to adjust the pitch by adjusting all 3 links at the same time to keep the swash level, then recheck with the swash tool or just eyeball it, if it looks level and hovers without trim then you are good to go.
Dec 04, 2011, 02:49 PM
Registered User
BladeUp's Avatar
Thanks for the help!

Is there some way to start the procedure with servos in a neutral or a starting position? I ask because my AILE servo position is an 1/8” lower than the PITC servo position. This is making me max out the pushrods trying to get to level.
Dec 04, 2011, 03:08 PM
certified crash instructor
Is the ail servo centered, or 1/8" off? Are you using any ail trim on the DX4?
Dec 04, 2011, 03:25 PM
Registered User
BladeUp's Avatar
All trim slides are centered. The ail servo tab (where the pushrod connects) is not centered and about 1/8 lower than the pitc and elev servo tabs all the time.
Dec 04, 2011, 04:01 PM
certified crash instructor
Check the retainer on top of the servo and make sure there is no up and down play, same with the white plastic gear on the bottom of servo. The servo might need to be cleaned or replaced. On a new heli I always start by turning it on, make sure all trims are centered on Tx, make sure all servos are centered. Then I hit throttle hold (or unplug the motors) and check the swash to make sure it's level, adjust if needed. Then check the pitch, I set mine up to 0* @ 50% throttle and then I eyeball the swash again and make sure it's level. Then I test fly it, if it drifts I trim it on the Tx and go back and adjust the swash until it hovers without drifting and all the trims are centered or very close to centered. Sometimes it's easy and only takes 10 minutes and sometimes it can take an hour or two to get it perfect.
Dec 04, 2011, 07:11 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly
Check the retainer on top of the servo and make sure there is no up and down play, same with the white plastic gear on the bottom of servo. The servo might need to be cleaned or replaced. On a new heli I always start by turning it on, make sure all trims are centered on Tx, make sure all servos are centered. Then I hit throttle hold (or unplug the motors) and check the swash to make sure it's level, adjust if needed. Then check the pitch, I set mine up to 0* @ 50% throttle and then I eyeball the swash again and make sure it's level. Then I test fly it, if it drifts I trim it on the Tx and go back and adjust the swash until it hovers without drifting and all the trims are centered or very close to centered. Sometimes it's easy and only takes 10 minutes and sometimes it can take an hour or two to get it perfect.
And after all this do you go back and level the swash again??
Dec 04, 2011, 08:28 PM
certified crash instructor
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
And after all this do you go back and level the swash again??
No, if it flies well and the pitch is correct then there is no need. I just check the swash to make sure it's level twice, once before you trim it and once after you set the pitch or if it's drifting.
Dec 08, 2011, 04:04 PM
Registered User
BladeUp's Avatar
So I just got a new servo/board and it fixed my 1/8” off servo problem. Bad board I guess.

But wait there’s more… Unlike slo-fly I did not adjust anything straight out of the box. I’ve only had my mCPX for a month now. I followed slo-fly’s instructions to adjust the swashplate and pitch. WOW it flies better than ever! Before it was very very touchy to fly and I crashed a lot. With the adjustments it’s much easier to control and flies great. Thanks sol-fly!

I did purchase a Swash Leveler from Wow Hobbies along with my new servo. It made it very easy to get the swashplate perfect. For only $8.99 I would recommend it.

http://www.wowhobbies.com/mhe-mh-mcp...cpx-1-1-1.aspx
Last edited by BladeUp; Dec 09, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Mar 08, 2012, 09:43 PM
RC Wirehead

Leveler


Hey Blade,

Is the leveler installed permanently or do you just use it when adjusting then remove it?

thanks :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeUp
So I just got a new servo/board and it fixed my 1/8” off servo problem. Bad board I guess.

But wait there’s more… Unlike slo-fly I did not adjust anything straight out of the box. I’ve only had my mCPX for a month now. I followed slo-fly’s instructions to adjust the swashplate and pitch. WOW it flies better than ever! Before it was very very touchy to fly and I crashed a lot. With the adjustments it’s much easier to control and flies great. Thanks sol-fly!

I did purchase a Swash Leveler from Wow Hobbies along with my new servo. It made it very easy to get the swashplate perfect. For only $8.99 I would recommend it.

http://www.wowhobbies.com/mhe-mh-mcp...cpx-1-1-1.aspx
Mar 09, 2012, 12:14 AM
RC Wirehead
Oh never mind, i get it now :-)
Apr 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
RC Wirehead
Quick qestion - when leveling the swash on the MCPx, does the throttle need to be center stick? I have not been doing it this way...
Apr 03, 2012, 04:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendittokeith
Quick qestion - when leveling the swash on the MCPx, does the throttle need to be center stick? I have not been doing it this way...
Sort of? I believe you'd start by leveling it at 50% (you can use a crazy pitch curve to make sure you get it at 50%).

After that, you continue by going to extreme pitch and making sure it stays level. If it doesn't, you pull back the travel endpoints until it stays level from lock to lock.

This guys ebooks on swash plate leveling are awesome, he goes over using these types of levelers (and other methods). I paid for 2 or 3 of his books and have *never* regretted it.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-he...r-e-books.html
Apr 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
RC Wirehead
cool, thanks a lot fryfrog


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale mCPx w/ aluminum swashplate, 4 batteries $170 Shipped PontiusPilate Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Sep 20, 2011 11:18 AM
For Sale mCPx w/ aluminum swashplate, 4 batteries $180 Shipped PontiusPilate Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Sep 17, 2011 07:07 PM
Help! How to level swashplate Big Lama rr9434 Coaxial Helicopters 2 Aug 31, 2010 06:20 AM
Question how to level swashplate, servo and pitch zio tonino Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 7 Nov 04, 2009 09:31 PM
Discussion How do you level a swashplate? frtcke777 Mini Helis 5 Dec 27, 2007 01:10 AM