This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 03, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

those were the days: my first powered plane (free flight)

chapter 5- my first powered plane
at the beginning there were big engines (all ignition), around .60 cu in. then began to shrink: .49, .29, .19, .09. so the classes were made: a, b, c, and d. but they still kept shrinking: anderson developed a .045 baby spitfire (then the 1/2a class was created). and by then , glow plug was invented, so it came with glow plug-and the price was more affordable, so i saved money and got 1. learning to start it meant that i broke it in by chance, and the engine was easier to start for that. but there were no airplanes for that size yet! eventually i found 1 that was intended for the co2 motors: a berkeley korda powerhouse, that i eagerly adapted for my engine. by then i had learned about thermals, and the risk of loosing a plane into 1 of them, and also that for small airplanes we could use a fuse instead of a timer to activate the dethermalizer, so i made my plane with it. problem was, people lighted the fuse with a cigarette, and as didn't smoke (never in my life!), just did not use the fuse. all went well, until 1 day my plane catched a strong thermal, and away she went, to never be seen again! later i found a solution to the fuse thing and lighted a long fuse and kept it in a can, with just a short lenght out, so i could light the fuse in my plane every flight. it took me 6 months to save enough money to buy another motor, and by then i had learned enough to design and build my own plane-no more kits-and saved money too. so that was my launching into the fascinating world of designing planes-which i enjoy to this day
Last edited by phil alvirez; Dec 03, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply