Jan 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeezy
Did you try what i just did? Fixed my problem real quick!
I appreciate your help but I wonder... It's not like it's drifting. It's aggressively flipping. It will not even get airborne... at all...

Would assume a calibration should sort most of that out, but no...
Last edited by Naamis; Jan 03, 2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: courtesy
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2013, 03:55 PM
If you trim it all the way the other direction does it help?

Sounds kinda like the escs might not be calibrated for throttle ranges correctly too. Im having a similar issue with a multiwii board. Did you calibrate rc in high and move sticks all arpund and flip all the switches?
Jan 03, 2013, 04:00 PM
I've tried calibrating everything pretty much. Used the software for the ESCs, done the RC Calibration as well. It's also a bit suspicious that pulling the stick all back does not prevent the quad from flipping forward.
Jan 03, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hey Guys, I bought a cheap used quad with Baseflight installed to have something to fly while stuck in teh sand in Afghanistan. It hovers ok but beeps continuously while flying and doesn't fly very long before the lipo cutoff forces me to land. I was told that it may be because an incompatible Baseflight FW is installed. The board is a white Freeflight board with version "1.31" on it. I didn't get the USB Boot Loader with it. I tried following the Freeflight board manual to calibrate it with my TX. I can't get anything to work as described when using the AUX channel. Also, auto level is definitely not working.

So, couple questions please.

Is there a comparability issues with my board and Baseflight?
Is there an aux channel that is used with this board and Baseflight?
How is auto level turned off and on with this board and Baseflight?
Where can I purchase a USB Boot Loader?

Thanks
Jan 03, 2013, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naamis
I've tried calibrating everything pretty much. Used the software for the ESCs, done the RC Calibration as well. It's also a bit suspicious that pulling the stick all back does not prevent the quad from flipping forward.
Hi Naamis,
Sounds like you may have something connected incorrectly, check to make sure motor connections and rotations are correct. Also make sure the prop rotation is correct, I've made this mistake myself.

If you've done all the calibrations and IMU settings/readings are correct within the software, it must be something else.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Jan 03, 2013, 07:18 PM
Techspy there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.
Yes you can add extra aux channels for various functions. These need to be defined in the multiwii gui or Nicodh's Naze32AIO.
Auto level is controlled via whichever channel you chose above.

Start here and read down the page for info on alternative usb adapters.

I don't think the flight controller has anything to do with your power reduction. It just has an alarm which can be changed. You need your USB adapter first. Maybe your esc's need to be reprogrammed or your batteries are a bit old???

I found my Freeflight board flew much nicer with the Baseflight firmware.
Jan 04, 2013, 05:57 AM
i just finish building a quad using FF controller v1.31 (white board) i haven't done anything with PC/software yet, but the board will only power on when using the JST connector that comes attached to the board. i was under the impression that the board can be powered on just using the PWM header with ESC bec?
Jan 04, 2013, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1
Hi Naamis,
Sounds like you may have something connected incorrectly, check to make sure motor connections and rotations are correct. Also make sure the prop rotation is correct, I've made this mistake myself.

If you've done all the calibrations and IMU settings/readings are correct within the software, it must be something else.

Cheers,
Smithy.
I checked the rotation direction with the GUI using the sliders. Rotation direction ok, props the right way around. So I assume I can think that to be correct. I've calibrated RC and IMU and the readings, whilst the quad is static on level ground is a flat line on the middle. Shaking or moving the quad does incur a change on the graph.

I'm running out of ideas.
Jan 04, 2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub
i just finish building a quad using FF controller v1.31 (white board) i haven't done anything with PC/software yet, but the board will only power on when using the JST connector that comes attached to the board. i was under the impression that the board can be powered on just using the PWM header with ESC bec?
ok i finally got the board to power on (aside from using the JST connector on the board) is to bridge these two pins (blue line) which then i get LEDs and buzzer working.. can someone explain why i have to do this? is something wrong with this board?

Jan 04, 2013, 07:42 PM
the board is meant to be powered thru the jst ,thats how mine always was .why not just use it that way?you hook other side of jst to your power distro board and your done .
you can see my jst in this picture .goes right to distro board .you can still plug all your esc`s with bec in no problem .

i have moved on from this board but still familiar with it .

ps- doing what you done you also have no regulation now
Jan 04, 2013, 08:01 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub
can someone explain why i have to do this? is something wrong with this board?
I think your board is fine, the board is just designed to be powered via the JST direct from the main battery. It has a nice switching regulator on the board which means it's independent of the ESC 5V power outputs. My setup has no ESC BEC's connected at all. My reason there is that they will heat up less if unloaded on the BEC's, and also the on-board switching regulator is more efficient anyway. I'm not driving any other servos or loads from the 5V rail so it's output is plenty for the task.

Bottom line is you can power it the way you are anyway if you want to.
Jan 04, 2013, 08:05 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Quote:
I checked the rotation direction with the GUI using the sliders. Rotation direction ok, props the right way around. So I assume I can think that to be correct. I've calibrated RC and IMU and the readings, whilst the quad is static on level ground is a flat line on the middle. Shaking or moving the quad does incur a change on the graph.

I'm running out of ideas.
If the rotations are correct I'd put money on it then that the position of two motors is swapped (obviously the ones rotating the same way). There was I think an error in the documentation diagram at one stage, as I too fell for that problem for an hour or so when I built my first one. The error caused the quad to try to flip at lift off every time.
Jan 05, 2013, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS
I think your board is fine, the board is just designed to be powered via the JST direct from the main battery. It has a nice switching regulator on the board which means it's independent of the ESC 5V power outputs. ....
okay, just thought i could do away with using the JST on board (except for setup purposes) and just use the PWM from ESC to power the board. i ended up just pigging the JST from the board to the battery/ESC feed.

so it flys pretty decent.. this is my first quad (i have experience with CP helis) and i can hover it hands off indoors for about 5 seconds before it starts drifting in one direction.

i updated the firmware to 124 and used PID v1.24 and set heli to 230mm (its a X240 cf frame).

so a couple questions.. low voltage is going off a bit early think. 3.86v alarms rings, what mv setting do i set ZN software so it triggers around 3.72-75/cell? i'm using a 450mah 3s.

also, if i change PID, do i have to calibrate/level with ZN again?

p.s. if anyone has some PID values i could use to make this mini even more stable i would appreciate it. i am getting a little bit of "gittering" seems random, but hovering pretty well. doesn't appear to have any vibrations which is good. FF is mounted on 1/8 inch sticky foam. i suspect some of the drifting and gitters might be due to one of the motors not sitting perfectly straight and slightly tilted.
Last edited by scub; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Jan 05, 2013, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS
If the rotations are correct I'd put money on it then that the position of two motors is swapped (obviously the ones rotating the same way). There was I think an error in the documentation diagram at one stage, as I too fell for that problem for an hour or so when I built my first one. The error caused the quad to try to flip at lift off every time.
ok, this could be. How would this show? I tried using the sliders in the GUI to rotate the motors and they fired in order. Isn't the order starting from front left being nr1 clockwise ?
Jan 05, 2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
ok, this could be. How would this show? I tried using the sliders in the GUI to rotate the motors and they fired in order. Isn't the order starting from front left being nr1 clockwise ?
Motor #1 starts at top left but the rest do not proceed in a sequential order clockwise around the quad. If you did it that way then the motors/props are incorrect.

Please refer to the manuals I created which are linked on the first post of this thread. For ease, I have attached it as well.

The first manual covers the earlier FF boards, while the second the later FF C10 boards. The orientation of the board itself is different from one version to another but the orientation of the motors and props is the same.

Quick Reply