Nov 30, 2011, 11:14 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

How to build a Ron-E-Max (Dynamax conversion)** Bench Run Video added**

Here is the first test run with bench numbers:

(6 min 35 sec)

Did I get your attention?

I thought I'd start a thread for guys on the way I went about converting the Dynamax.
This conversion uses Fred Bladwins of Dyn-E-Max fame, center body. Tam Jets beautiful spinner. Neu motor 1915 1y and all the new stronger parts from Tom Cook ( shroud, bolts and blades )

I'm super happy with the fit and it's nice and light 1lbs 15oz all bolted up. Me and Sean (strictly scale) worked out useing this motor and this is what he is running in his F-104. He is running Freds spinner and colet. But I like Tams simple and light spinner with four set screws to hold it on.

On 12s Sean is getting 5500 watts with 5000mah packs. I'll be running this in my Jet Legend Hawk on 12s 6500 mah packs...so I think I should see very close to 6000 watts.

I have it all fitted up, I need to break it down and add thermal grease and tighting everything up... but I wanted to mock it up to check the weight and check my CG before I make a plug for my ducting extension.

Here is where I got my parts:

Dynamax Blades, Shroud and Bolts from Tom Cook:
http://www.jetmodelproducts.com/

Center Body from Fred Baldwin he has 20 in stock, super fast shipping for me!
Thanks Fred!:
http://www.dyn-e-max.com/

Beautiful spinner from Tam, looks great Tam, Thanks bud!:
http://www.tamjets.com/original/prod...roducts_id=546

Pictures, testing will come soon
Last edited by Ron101; Dec 28, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2011, 11:38 PM
3DHOG
dude that thing looks sick!!!
Nov 30, 2011, 11:48 PM
Me likey!!!!!!
Dec 01, 2011, 01:41 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Thanks fella'a
It does look pretty cool... can't wait to fly this baby!

will be nice to have this hawk all sorted out and working well for me, need some big jet stick time
Dec 01, 2011, 09:12 AM
Nice Ron, i think this is the best conversion out there

I thought Freds centre hub was also machined to act like a heat sink. What is the difference between Tams Centre Hub and Freds?

Could you tell us what the blade sets, Fred Centre Hub and the Motor cost you.
Dec 01, 2011, 09:56 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
tam uses his own shroud/stators...

looks really good BTW ron! cant wait to hear how it stacks up against the shubi
Dec 01, 2011, 09:57 AM
pretty cool ron ,god your a good with stuff ron , sure shouldnt mind living next door to you lol .
Dec 01, 2011, 10:03 AM
Did you balance the rotor or at least weigh the blades and try to put the heavier ones across from each other to balance it? If you don't, the fan will come apart - even with just a 12S setup. Balance is critical.
Dec 01, 2011, 11:27 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Quote:
Nice Ron, i think this is the best conversion out there

I thought Freds centre hub was also machined to act like a heat sink. What is the difference between Tams Centre Hub and Freds?

Could you tell us what the blade sets, Fred Centre Hub and the Motor cost you.
Hey Simon,
I agree I don't think there is a conversion of the Dynamax that can come close to touching this setup on 12s.. we shall see... Weight to watts it's a power house

Tams center body won't work with the Dynamax shroud, it's made for his shroud,and only four or his stator design. Freds use's the stock shroud and all stock stators, except one...so 15 in total, staying true to the original design which I feel is very important.

Freds center body is $110
Tams spinner/hub is $69.95
Tom Cooks (jet model porducts) Blades, shroud, bolts and mounting tabs $190
Neu motor 1915 1y with 8mm shaft $300

Total= $669.95
Add a ICE 160 HV2 = $272
Last edited by Ron101; Dec 01, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Dec 01, 2011, 11:31 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Quote:
tam uses his own shroud/stators...

looks really good BTW ron! cant wait to hear how it stacks up against the shubi
Thanks Brent! I'm pretty excited to to how it can compare also.... the key will be your dads ducting extension. But I will also test it with the bellmouth for the hell of it

Quote:
pretty cool ron ,god your a good with stuff ron , sure shouldnt mind living next door to you lol .
Thanks tinker,
I really did nothing more than locate the parts and go for it... but thank you for the kind words. I've seen some guys widdle there own fan out of wood and it works great that stuff blows me away
Dec 01, 2011, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Hey Simon,
I agree I don't think there is a conversion of the Dynamax that can come close to touching this setup on 12s.. we shall see... Weight to watts it's a power house

Tams center body won't work with the Dynamax shroud, it's made for his shroud,and only four or his stator design. Freds use's the stock shroud and all stock stators, except one...so 15 in total, staying true to the original design which I feel is very important.

Freds center body is $110
Tams spinner/hub is $69.95
Tom Cooks (jet model porducts) Blades, shroud, bolts and mounting tabs $190
Neu motor 1915 1y is $275

Total= $644.95
You forget to add ESC ICE 120 $239 or ICE 160 $320.

Total $885 with ICE 120 plus the fun put together. LOL.

BTW,
The motor you got to add $20 more for 8mm shaft.
Dec 01, 2011, 11:37 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Quote:
Did you balance the rotor or at least weigh the blades and try to put the heavier ones across from each other to balance it? If you don't, the fan will come apart - even with just a 12S setup. Balance is critical.
Oh Mr. Drew, scare tactics won't sell you more fans
I confirmed with Tom Cook, Tam and Fred that the blades are so consistent and so close together that balanceing is not nessesary and never has been with the dynamax. None of these guys balances there dynamax rotors and they have many more running in the field than you.. so I will take there word on it.

I had a feeling you would jump in
got to protect sales, it's christmas seasons
Dec 01, 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101
Oh Mr. Drew, scare tactics won't sell you more fans
I confirmed with Tom Cook, Tam and Fred that the blades are so consistent and so close together that balanceing is not nessesary and never has been with the dynamax. None of these guys balances there dynamax rotors and they have many more running in the field than you.. so I will take there word on it.

I had a feeling you would jump in
got to protect sales, it's christmas seasons
The bladed very consistance and 11 blades is pretty much well balance.
Plus with true precission rotor hub.
You had super smooth running rotor.
Other night I was at machine shop begging him to work on my hub order.
The machinish cry with me about how hard to get he hub made in true precission (-.0001"). He had to charge me extra for new batch order.
So head up for price increase.
Dec 01, 2011, 11:45 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Quote:
You forget to add ESC ICE 120 $239 or ICE 160 $320.

Total $885 with ICE 120 plus the fun put together. LOL

Yep you will need a speed control,
I have a Ice 160 HV 2 that will run this one

Tam I have to add that I don't know how guys like you, Fred and Jim can make any money selling these things as cheap as you do. They take a couple hours to put together and the parts cost about as much as you sell them for... Jims is hella cheap... so you guys don't build these things to get rich

Simon I wanted to add that Tam spinner/hub is very light!
The back of the spinner is hollow and has holes to allow for airflow...that alone is going to do a great job cooling the motor. I also hope that his lighter design will find me some free extra power over the heavier colet designs.

It's really going to be fun to run this thing up!!
Dec 01, 2011, 11:50 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Thread OP
Quote:
The bladed very consistance and 11 blades is pretty much well balance.
Plus with true precission rotor hub.
You had super smooth running rotor.
Other night I was at machine shop begging him to work on my hub order.
The machinish cry with me about how hard to get he hub made in true precission (-.0001"). He had to charge me extra for new batch order.
So head up for price increase.
It's a great looking unit Tam.. very light!
That alone has to add some free power, less mass to turn. Gives me an idea now why your setup is working so well.
I can see a price increase from something like this being fair...it's can't be easy to make it so precise

I'll take two on the next run put those babies aside for me

Quick Reply