Oct 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
Another question: Will the skids from the old version fit the new one? In other words, could you buy a BNF with the new battery connector and replace the skids to get the old battery connector?

PS. Skids are sold with or without the contacts and wires.

Owen
And with screw hole, or glued in.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
Micro Menace
Quote:
Hi

Any ideas for a set of rotor blades that would look more scale on the V911 for my Hughes 300 and 500 birds? I know true scale blades would be way too narrow and fragile and probably wouldn't fly, but something more like the blades used on larger helis would be nice. I appreciate that this might involve replacing the head too.

I'd prefer something that is as robust as the original blades and head if possible.

Owen
I just use Solo Pro blades. I bought a SP 260 CF shaft with head ($2) for one V911 and a SP CNC head for the other. (Didn't like the alu shaft so I used CF.) I like the SP blades better for scale simply because they're all black and don't have any writing on them.
Oct 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
Sir Crashalot
The yellow and white clones are still my BNF of choice. Here's a practice session with my yellow.

wl toys v911 backward practice (3 min 47 sec)
Oct 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Another question: Will the skids from the old version fit the new one? In other words, could you buy a BNF with the new battery connector and replace the skids to get the old battery connector?

PS. Skids are sold with or without the contacts and wires.

Owen
I contacted TMart a few days ago about the availability of BNF V911s that have the new battery connection.

As of right now, the only BNFs available are ones with the old style battery connection.

This is why I had to buy a whole new kit if I wanted the new battery connection (which I do), because BNFs are not available in the new style yet. It kinda sucks, but i'm sure in time BNFs will slowly be available with the new style connection.

You can buy the skids for new style connection, but they do not come with the lead or wires. Its only the frame, so unfortunately converting old style to new style may not be an option. However, retrofitting a new one with the old style skids (what you're talking about) is possible with some soldering as they come with wires.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Oct 10, 2012, 01:35 PM
Team Drone Art
Sounds like someone needs to mod to enable new skids with the smaller micro connectors used on the mSR, mCX, ParkZone micro planes, etc. Wonder if the reason they didn't use the smaller connector is due it disconnecting during crashes?
Oct 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
What stands out to me isn't that it still flies, but that it only rained 3 times in 2 months.
I am in California,and it has been dry couple of months.
Oct 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Blue Skies

Ultra micro (e-flite compatible) connector on a V911

Quote:
All this battery talk has made my head spin!

It seems WL Toys have moved from one proprietary battery to another and nobody understands why.

So, what if we dump WL Toys' batteries alltogether , make our own battery trays from a length of heatshrink CA glued to the bottom of the skids and solder a nice long wire with a connector on it to the mainboard? That would also make it easier for those of us installing scale fuselages to adjust the CG or move the battery inside the fuselage. I actually think a stock V911 might do well with having the CG moved just a little forwards. It seems all three of mine fly faster in reverse than any other direction...
Owen
Is this what you mean Owen?
Don
Oct 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Is this what you mean Owen?
Don
Yup, something like that, but since I don't have any leftover hardware from other stuff, I would also need a source for the batteries and charger.

Would it be possible to use the V911 charger if a cable with the correct connector was made (hacking into the charger to connect the wiring).

What do you reckon is the best choice for a non WL battery to suit the V911?

Owen
Last edited by nagromnewo; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Oct 10, 2012, 04:09 PM
Quote:
In my opinion, tere isn't any. The WL Toys (Old style) batteries are the best choice as they have the best punch.
Batteries with smaller micro connectors used on the mSR etc. like the Nanotechs (160mah) are usable (with the battery mod) but haven't the same power as a stock (120mah/130mah) or the new 145mah/150mah WL ones.

I tried other brands but got back to the stock ones.
Oct 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
GOT WINGS
I bought a yellow V911 bnf, no batteries, immediately cut the wires and added a longer wire with a msr, gw 9958 type connector. I already had 4 stock 9958 batteries and 4 turnigy 160mah batteries for my 9958s, and a T9x stock tx. The 9958 batteries and the T 160s fit into the battery holder snugly. And it flys fine, 5 to 6 minutes per battery. the T 160mah batteries are less than $3 a piece from HobbyKing.
Latest blog entry: UMX Air Tractor BNF
Oct 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
What's currently the best way to fix flybar strikes? My canopy is turning to mush and I'm afraid to do high performance backwards maneuvers for fear of it breaking my tail boom.

Has anyone tried shortening the flybar simply by cutting out a section then gluing it back with maybe polyurethane glue?
Oct 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJaque View Post
Anyways, as of about two weeks back I have noticed I don't get as much air time per battery as I used to. It's been gradually decreasing. So when I received a set of new 145mA batteries early this week I thought I'd be set for a while. I was wrong. Sure, there is an extra gram or so in the larger batteries but I don't think that is where the problem lies.. Could it be the main motor? And if so, how do I tell? Anyone else got a take on this? Otherwise I keep it running smoothly, well lubed and perfect trim.
When mine did that it was because the main motor was bad. Could have been because of getting lube inside the motor and fouling the brushes.
Oct 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Sounds like someone needs to mod to enable new skids with the smaller micro connectors used on the mSR, mCX, ParkZone micro planes, etc. Wonder if the reason they didn't use the smaller connector is due it disconnecting during crashes?
Hopefully erdnuckel2 will be able to verify a few things.
What I do know is the connector is the style used on the mcpx which uses a 300mah battery or larger (highly doubt it will fit and if it did would probably be to heavy anyways).
The connector can be removed from the skids by removing two small screws.
One could use a different connector but may require some type of mod to secure it to the skids.
The wiring on the new style connector is heavier then the old one.
The V911 battery has one rail compared to two on the eflight batteries (mentioned earlier in this thread).
This really erks me though as I thought it would be great to use other batteries or more popular versions then the propriety V911s.
Don't understand why - the V929 uses a battery that is quite popular.
A great idea to replace skids without having to solder but bad in overall design.
Oct 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Team Drone Art
Quote:
Yup, something like that, but since I don't have any leftover hardware from other stuff, I would also need a source for the batteries and charger.

Would it be possible to use the V911 charger if a cable with the correct connector was made (hacking into the charger to connect the wiring).

Owen
Yes. Search for that v911 charger mod on hacksmods.com
Oct 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
What's currently the best way to fix flybar strikes?
You could make a paddle flybar, or fly it gently. In my case, as long as I don't make sudden directional changes, there would not be flybar strikes.

Quick Reply