Jul 02, 2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
I advise against the derlin extraim main gear, i always thought from the very beginning that it didnt mesh properly. It wore out the pinion to the point i was getting 1 minute flight times, thought the motor or batteries were gone. Turned out to be badly worn pinion. I actually put the stock gear back on and despite the badly worn pinion i was back in the air. Motor was fine.

It seems that the extreme gear wears out the pinion faster than you will wear our the main motor. So im sticking with the stock gear.
Is the new V911-1 using delrin gear ?

I have never bothered with delrin gear for my V911.
After all the experience, the only 2 sensible things to mod for V911 are the 150mA battery and the fish eye swashplate.

I also had the Helios paddle flybar on one bird. But on and off I have TBE effect, probably due to imperfect fit of the paddle flybar to links (paddle flybar is not direct drop in, need to sand paper off the ball in order to fit into the links). After a while, I took it out, really did not see big difference between stock flybar and paddle flybar.

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stw4lk3r
Nice flying, don't know if i would dare to do that above water

a short one from me yesterday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9euoie5LA4
Nice! I really like green and black.
I was going real easy on the sticks over the water and my co-pilot (wife ) was timing the flights so I didn't lose power over water.
Jul 02, 2013, 11:25 PM
13x
13x
Dang ceiling fans!! Lol with the ac, two ceiling fans and the fan in my hallway indoor flights just got real interesting!
Jul 03, 2013, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karhar
Is the new V911-1 using delrin gear ?

I have never bothered with delrin gear for my V911.
After all the experience, the only 2 sensible things to mod for V911 are the 150mA battery and the fish eye swashplate.

I also had the Helios paddle flybar on one bird. But on and off I have TBE effect, probably due to imperfect fit of the paddle flybar to links (paddle flybar is not direct drop in, need to sand paper off the ball in order to fit into the links). After a while, I took it out, really did not see big difference between stock flybar and paddle flybar.

Cheers
Found a video on youtube looks like its still using the stock white gear which is good. I read somewhere that the v911-1 now comes with the fisheye swash plate. Not sure if the swash guide is still in the same place but i prefer how the v911 flys when moving the swash guide to the centre. It seems to help left hand banked turns.

everything else looks the same, except for using the better tx that comes with the v912 and v913.
Jul 03, 2013, 09:50 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
"I read somewhere that the v911-1 now comes with the fisheye swash plate".

It does appear that the V911-1 comes with an improved swashplate. I checked my old parts V911- I had replaced/upgraded the old swashplate. A quick visual comparison between the old upgrade part and the newer model stock swashplate showed no real differences. I also can say that I have had no swashplate separation issues with my newer V911-1's. It's either that my flying (less crashing) has improved or that the newer V911-1's come with the improved swashplates.

My vote is still out on the paddle flybar modification. I no longer use Delrin replacement main gears due to its wearing on the main motor pinion gears.
Jul 03, 2013, 10:10 AM
What is a controlled landing?
Are the blades on the v911-1 super flexible? I saw an advertisement when it was released and in the pic they were bending the blades so the tips were touching each other.
Jul 03, 2013, 12:41 PM
Certifiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdx225
Nice! I really like green and black.
I was going real easy on the sticks over the water and my co-pilot (wife ) was timing the flights so I didn't lose power over water.
I don't fly my 911 much anymore but it would probably survive a dunking w/o damage as long as it's not into salt water. Fresh water is a surprisingly poor conductor. I lost power with my QR quad over my pool and it sank to the bottom. Fished it out, dried it off, flew away! I even left a 3.7v 260mAh lipo in my pants pocket when they when through the wash and that lipo still works.
Jul 04, 2013, 06:06 AM
Noob
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum, although I have been reading most of the pages on this forum, not all, over the past number of weeks.

Based on what I read here I purchased a V911 which I received last week Monday.

I had an el-cheepo co-axial that we were given as part of a team building exercise at work, and I had flown it a few times until the battery fried and I was unable to find a replacement. That's when I found this heli and forum.

Right from the beginning I was able to get it to hover in one position for a few seconds before I had to start making adjustments by means of the left and right controls, but the nose continuously drifts to the right even though I have tried to adjust the trim with the switches, so I am continuously having to turn the nose straight again.

Also, sometimes the behaviour patterns are very erratic. On Tuesday, some hair got tangled up in the rear rotor so that I had to remove the rotor to remove the hair. After that the heli was flying as if in the TBE, but then I put in a charged battery and it was fine. Then last night it did the same thing for a while, so again I put in a charged battery and it was fine again, but then later it kept on drifting forward and I had to keep pulling it backwards. This was all inside, so I don't think it was wind affecting it.

I read here that others can hover it hands free.

Is there something wrong with mine or is it a lack of experieince.
Jul 04, 2013, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum, although I have been reading most of the pages on this forum, not all, over the past number of weeks.

Based on what I read here I purchased a V911 which I received last week Monday.

I had an el-cheepo co-axial that we were given as part of a team building exercise at work, and I had flown it a few times until the battery fried and I was unable to find a replacement. That's when I found this heli and forum.

Right from the beginning I was able to get it to hover in one position for a few seconds before I had to start making adjustments by means of the left and right controls, but the nose continuously drifts to the right even though I have tried to adjust the trim with the switches, so I am continuously having to turn the nose straight again.

Also, sometimes the behaviour patterns are very erratic. On Tuesday, some hair got tangled up in the rear rotor so that I had to remove the rotor to remove the hair. After that the heli was flying as if in the TBE, but then I put in a charged battery and it was fine. Then last night it did the same thing for a while, so again I put in a charged battery and it was fine again, but then later it kept on drifting forward and I had to keep pulling it backwards. This was all inside, so I don't think it was wind affecting it.

I read here that others can hover it hands free.

Is there something wrong with mine or is it a lack of experieince.

tail hold trim on these cheap helis are usually never perfect and require a little trim and as the battery drains may require a little more trim. On my v911 the tail wont hold well when using full throttle but i just live with it (most noticably when the battery is running out)

as for the drift, if you have been in some crashes its possible that you may have to mechanically trim the heli. by shortening or lenghting the arms on the servos. there are instructions on how to mechanically trim around here somewhere.

the v911 can hover well but it will start to drift, even good cp helis will require input to keep it in a steady hover.

Also make sure the flybar isnt too tight, as any friction somewhere will cause TBE
Jul 04, 2013, 09:59 AM
"the v911 can hover well but it will start to drift" Even inside- sooner or later the rotors will stir up enough turbulence to create some "wind" within the room environment. I usually will fly my 3 V911's in succession in a relatively large bedroom. There are definitely air currents in the room by the third flight.
Jul 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
I had some fun with my V911 last weekend. I was letting my nephew learn to fly the thing. I basically told him to try to hover the thing outside and not worry about using the rudder. I think he would get it with a bit more time. The hard part was getting him to cut power before a crash. He did right before the final crash... Unfortunately we were over concrete at that time and the tail motor was jammed. That was it for the weekend. Fortunately I have spares and fun was had by all.
Jul 04, 2013, 10:39 AM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanscreen
I had some fun with my V911 last weekend. I was letting my nephew learn to fly the thing. I basically told him to try to hover the thing outside and not worry about using the rudder. I think he would get it with a bit more time. The hard part was getting him to cut power before a crash. He did right before the final crash... Unfortunately we were over concrete at that time and the tail motor was jammed. That was it for the weekend. Fortunately I have spares and fun was had by all.
yes. the 911 is a great heli for a supervised kid to fly. don't touch the rudder and you remind them to lower or higher the throttle when needed. just letting it hover, they dont stop smiling.
Jul 04, 2013, 06:00 PM
Tin Tin, welcome aboard - you'll be part of this forum for a very long time, I'm sure....
All the symptoms you state are "normal"... occasionally, we hear of someone who gets a 911 which flies right out of the box and does not require any trimming.. none!... but most do - from simply clicking a trim tab or two right down to having to remove the ball links and adjust the length of the servo pushrods... that one is rare - but it has been seen.
As has been stated, I believe these are really an "indoors" heli - many fly them successfully outdoors - but mine are wall locked... I'm leaping up to the 922 to learn my outdoors heli flying.
There is "invisible" turbulence in just about every room... even proximity to walls/fittings/furnishings will alter the degree.... the main one is the ceiling - the 911, once it gets close enough - will "suck" itself to your ceiling.. the flybar will scrape and you will have a devil of a time trying to re-control it... so, keep at least 12" away from the ceiling!
The floor is probably the other "extreme" of turbulence.... this little micro heli is very vulnerable to its own "downwash"... and you will find it wants to walk off to the right when you try to land.... all normal - and you will learn to accept its tendencies...
You can get them to hover hands free... and I have successfully managed to trim a couple of mine so that they can just sit looking at me at head height about 1 foot away for 20 seconds or so... but then they "need" a little nudging with the sticks to pull them back into position... so, yes - yours sounds to me like it's pretty much in good nick and behaving as it should.
The best thing you can do, if you want to fully extract the most from your 911 - is put away that stock Tx and purchase a 9x transmitter... many/most of us have done this - the rewards are a massive improvement in "flyability"....

frats,
Rosco
Jul 04, 2013, 06:27 PM
Tin Tin-I used to welcome a lot of nubee's to other kinds of websites (tractors); it got out of hand- carpal tunnel from all the key tapping, etc. , but when someone who posts a lot here offer's that hand of membership it starts cascading- Welcome.

"The best thing you can do, if you want to fully extract the most from your 911 - is put away that stock Tx and purchase a 9x transmitter... many/most of us have done this - the rewards are a massive improvement in "flyability"....

frats,
Rosco"

I could not agree more

I am starting to look at "nubee" status as that person at the end of long drop line of paracrazies... the problem is that there is a whole new long line of those individuals all ready hooked up "ready" to go behind 'ya; and they push. Welcome

I am floating down, and down
Jul 04, 2013, 07:06 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
I actually have my 9X radio before I have my V911. In fact, my V911 was not a RTF nor a BNF. Parts were provided by my flying buddy to build one up from scratch. Happy to report that it has been flying well, and trouble free. In other words, I never ever had the original V911 Tx, so I didn't even experience tail-spin-on-steroid 1st hand. So yes, on the one hand the 9X, or better yet, the FS-TH9X is a great investment. No argument there. But on the other hand, it is not a blanket solution for every single person. Considering that it is more than twice of a V911 RTF, or 4x the price of a V911 BNF, it is not for every beginner. It also offers so many features that it still makes my head spin. LOL.

Yes, the TH9X could be a great investment, but you must have the commitment to invest into it, both financially and with time. If those are in the your path, go get one early.

Quick Reply