Thread Tools
Jan 03, 2013, 10:15 PM
Registered User
2_Crash_Thumbs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryka
...I just ran through a pack until the bird drifted to the ground and didn't really have any lift. I decided to measure the voltage...
Single cell LiPo's charge up to 4.2 Volts and then when in use rapidly dump to 3.8 volts in 15 to 20 seconds and then deliver consistently declining power and then around 3.6 Volts they decline rapidly. This is why they are 3.7 V cells.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2013, 10:20 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
@larryka, seems like Amazon came thru for you, you are getting another heli and keeping the 'defective' one, right? (Effectively you are getting a free or highly discounted second heli.)

The less than perfect hover is not something to worry about, as long as it flies ok. Your voltage measurements seemed in the ballpark of what I remember others have reported.
Jan 03, 2013, 10:21 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
gordonzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeintexas
You were absolutely correct. Turns out the tail rotor hub split out one side all the way through. Had to flex it to see the crack.



Not a very good picture, but hopefully you can see it. The rotor was able to spin on the shaft. It's a wonder it worked at all. When I put the new one on it was much tighter on the shaft. Flies great now. Thanks all of you for your help.

George
Good job on the trouble-shooting! Simple repairs are always a good thing.

Your BNF can now become one of your fleet and hopefully you'll always have one in the air.

regards . . . g
Jan 03, 2013, 10:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Crash_Thumbs
This is why they are 3.7 V cells.
Makes sense, thanks.
Jan 03, 2013, 10:31 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter
@larryka, seems like Amazon came thru for you, you are getting another heli and keeping the 'defective' one, right? (Effectively you are getting a free or highly discounted second heli.)
I do have to send the defective unit (which might be ok now per my earlier post) back, but Amazon is covering the return shipping as well. So I shouldn't be losing anything on the first unit, but I'm paying the $3 more for the second unit which may or may not behave the same way as the first one. Oh well... at least I can keep the first unit for a couple of days to compare to the second one before returning it.
Jan 03, 2013, 10:32 PM
V911 Heli Owner
dweeber's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryka
How susceptible are these units to ambient Wi-Fi and other signals in the 2.4GHz range?
I have 5 access points at the house in my home office for testing and I've seen no issues with my V911 and communications.
Jan 03, 2013, 10:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeber
I have 5 access points at the house in my home office for testing and I've seen no issues with my V911 and communications.
Good to know, thanks.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems like the twitchy servo(s) went away after mechanically trimming. I did find it interesting that when it was happening, it totally stopped when I shutoff the TX and it returned when I powered the TX back on. Does anyone know if there's a failsafe feature that cuts power to the servos if the TX/RX link is totally lost? It's either that, or the TX was sending some slight and intermittent commands due to a bad/sensitive stick? We'll see if the replacement unit has similar issues tomorrow.
Jan 03, 2013, 10:44 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
gordonzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_Crash_Thumbs
I have pondered about purposefully loosening the tail rotor so that it slips a little in order to prevent damage to the blades and/or the motor.
The loss of tail control will cause more crashes with less damage . . . or will it . . .

Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy?

regards . . . g
Jan 03, 2013, 11:08 PM
Trees are bad
Stevez1kart's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryka
Good to know, thanks.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems like the twitchy servo(s) went away after mechanically trimming. I did find it interesting that when it was happening, it totally stopped when I shutoff the TX and it returned when I powered the TX back on. Does anyone know if there's a failsafe feature that cuts power to the servos if the TX/RX link is totally lost? It's either that, or the TX was sending some slight and intermittent commands due to a bad/sensitive stick? We'll see if the replacement unit has similar issues tomorrow.
From what I have read I believe a servo twitches because there is a potentiometer (pot) in the servo that tells it what it's current position is. If there is damaged or a dirty spot on the pot where the servo is being commanded to locate the servo will go back and forth trying to locate the correct position. If the TX is off or it is on with a different stick value it will stop twitching. If this theory is incorrect please feel free to enlighten me.
Last edited by Stevez1kart; Jan 03, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Jan 04, 2013, 12:03 AM
Bvc
Bvc
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryka
Thank you for the replies regarding my new Lightning Bird and its servo twitch.

However, after going through the mechanical trimming process outlined by Daryoon on his blog, it seems like the twitch is gone. I'm not sure if manually moving the servos a little while trying to pop off the arm did something,
It can. Sometimes that's all it takes. Sometimes a twist of the rods can fix it (mechanical trimming). Other times I've removed the screw to the servo arm and moved the arm to another position just to get a different set of teeth meshing. I had a few that were sticking really bad and both changed teeth and worked the servo by moving the arm back and forth a lot (even had to use pliers when sticking really bad). I'm still using one of those months later. I've also taken them a part, cleaned and lubed them, but that's not fun, IMO. All that to say, had I known this, I would not have needed to buy an RX and BNF.
Jan 04, 2013, 12:08 AM
Scotsman in Germany
tiggertoo1962's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweeber
I have 5 access points at the house in my home office for testing and I've seen no issues with my V911 and communications.
Hmmmm. As soon as I turn my stock TX on it takes about 1/2 an hour for a web page to load (if it does at all). Any idea if there's a fix for this?
Jan 04, 2013, 12:08 AM
Registered User
2_Crash_Thumbs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez1kart
... there is a potentiometer (pot) in the servo that tells it what it's current position is...
YES!, That's how they work. If there is a flakey spot in the servo then perhaps it can be cleaned by a judicious application of anti-oxident electronic cleaner to the feedback pot(iemter).
Jan 04, 2013, 12:45 AM
Registered User
Rain4LA's Avatar
I'm just wondering about the "old" plugs vs. the "new" plugs. I'm confused... I bought one or two of these last summer and the batteries had the little white tips on them (kind of like the EFlight batteries) Then they changed it to having those two silver metal strips on the one side at the end. Those were called the "new" ones at the time. Now I went to order one for my nephew and it's showing that the "new" version has the white tips again. Am I going crazy or what? Is anyone else confused - or is it just me?
Thanks!
Jan 04, 2013, 01:01 AM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain4LA
I'm just wondering about the "old" plugs vs. the "new" plugs. I'm confused... I bought one or two of these last summer and the batteries had the little white tips on them (kind of like the EFlight batteries) Then they changed it to having those two silver metal strips on the one side at the end. Those were called the "new" ones at the time. Now I went to order one for my nephew and it's showing that the "new" version has the white tips again. Am I going crazy or what? Is anyone else confused - or is it just me?
Thanks!
The ones with two silver metal strips were the old type, they resemble Nine Eagles batteries. To my knowledge they were never referred to as new type.
Jan 04, 2013, 01:44 AM
Registered User
Rain4LA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter
The ones with two silver metal strips were the old type, they resemble Nine Eagles batteries. To my knowledge they were never referred to as new type.
Okay cool. I guess I wasn't keeping up with those. It's just weird because My old ones had the white plastic tip, and my newer ones had the metal strips - but whatever! Thank you!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Jiuchon 9C002, a Solo Pro clone? SoloProFan Micro Helis 103 Feb 29, 2012 02:24 PM
Discussion Interesting Solo Pro? Clone gordonzo Micro Helis 46 Nov 30, 2011 03:15 AM
Question Which 100 sized heli after Solo Pro? Tuc Micro Helis 16 Jun 13, 2011 01:52 PM
Sold $100 !NEW ARF Storm 250 (Trex Clone) With Align Upgrades, Tons of Extras! $100!! RChelisrule Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 May 31, 2011 12:26 AM