Nov 29, 2011, 08:06 PM
Like a Boss
Thread OP
Discussion

My attempt at a sub gram plane

Been taking it easy all summer, decided to build something again... dont feel like screwing with the molds again just yet... so decided id try a sub gram plane... built the motor mid september and had something else in mind for it.. then i built the airframe.. then i figured might as well try it and see what happens...

The airframe is split 1mm carbon rod, i wasted alot of rods trying to get a usable piece, the wing ribs are 12k carbon tow impregnated with ca over a wax form, the covering came from a plastic bag they delivered my chinese take out in... by far the lightest bag i could find(the idea was to use common stuff i had laying around).

The rx was a pain... but not too bad, programming the chip was easy... my first plan was to make a dead bug rx... but by the time it came time to install in the plane, it just kept breaking from me handling it too much... so i decided to etch a board... found a piece of board with large copper traces in an old cd rom, sliced it paper thin, sanded off the green layer and most of the copper.. you could almost see through it, then drew on the board pattern using a black sharpie(this took a few attempts) then since i didnt have the chemicals to etch copper, i went the simplest route, a cut 1 liter bottle with heavily salted water a penny and an old 5v 500mah cordless phone charger.. 7 hours later the pattern was etched, went through it with a multimeter to make sure there were no shorts.

The act was abit of a challenge.. i used 50awg i found in a wrist watch... 14ft of it.. took 5 tries.. and on the fifth i broke the wire half way through winding.. but luckily was able to solder it back on...

The prop is sliced and sanded garolyte, wrapped over a steel tube and baked for 20 minutes...

My miligram scale is broken from being stepped on so i dont know the exact weight.. but its somewehre between 900mgs and 1 gram acording to my old trusty scale.. i will update it with the correct weight soon

Gear specs:

Motor: 43 awg, 13.6 ohms, 2.5x2.5 magnet, i added a termination pad to the motor as i was sick and tired of the wires breaking at the chip.

Rx: classic ir 261 with Koichis code.

Act: 14ft of 50 AWG, 163 ohms.

Batt: 8.5mah from Nick's shop.

Tx module: Koichis irtxv2 with a 9 led array i salvaged from old ir helis...will make a 21 led array soon..

The plane flys fantastic... a joy to fly, short range due to the small led array, but that will change,its extremely over powered with the current motor it will climb agressively under quarter throttle.. this motor was meant for a larger and heavier plane... its also very power hungry. I will try to get a video and get it up on here soon.

I plan to do another one half size.. but not anytime soon... i got another toy that requires my attention
Last edited by Heliman420; Nov 29, 2011 at 08:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
That right there is art.
Nov 29, 2011, 08:17 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
thats great heliman! i have some old watch coils, and man those are some seriously small wires, i dont think i could solder to them, i have enough trouble with 44 awg wire!
Nov 29, 2011, 08:35 PM
Like a Boss
Thread OP
Thanks guys much appreciated.. i had some great pics of the rx and the board.. but they seem to have disapeared from my memory card

I should mention.. my inspiration came from the pioneers like Martin, Robert, Uwe, Brian, Lad, and Alex... been wanting to build one for a few years now.. but those damn molds always got in the way
Nov 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Incredable. I have no doubt that I cannot make anything that small that would actually function. Great work and thanks for sharing it.
Nov 29, 2011, 11:12 PM
Wow.

I've got some indoor Mylar buried around here someplace. Apple green to bluish, planning to try some on a micro sailboat one of these days. Color refers to thickness as in an oil slick for those who aren't familiar with old times microfilm.

I wonder how it compares to your covering.

Pete, on the other side of the continent.
Nov 29, 2011, 11:44 PM
Like a Boss
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
Wow.

I've got some indoor Mylar buried around here someplace. Apple green to bluish, planning to try some on a micro sailboat one of these days. Color refers to thickness as in an oil slick for those who aren't familiar with old times microfilm.

I wonder how it compares to your covering.

Pete, on the other side of the continent.

The right mylar would probably be much lighter... dont remember the thickness..... although this stuff was quite light... the airframe with motor and act was somewhere around 500mgs... the next one would use the proper stuff... i wasnt going for the world record here... all i wanted was for it to come under 1 gram 999mgs would have made me happy... its also very tough
Nov 30, 2011, 12:13 AM
Ego varius quis.
"i went the simplest route, a cut 1 liter bottle with heavily salted water a penny and an old 5v 500mah cordless phone charger..."

I always thought the simplest route was "I went to the store and bought some etchant."

Nov 30, 2011, 12:36 PM
Like a Boss
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
"i went the simplest route, a cut 1 liter bottle with heavily salted water a penny and an old 5v 500mah cordless phone charger..."

I always thought the simplest route was "I went to the store and bought some etchant."

Too lazy... it was on the weekend... i didnt feel like driving for one hour... so i used what i had... therefore it was the simplest for me

Found the rx pics.. they were on a different card....

not very pretty but it works...
Last edited by Heliman420; Nov 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Nov 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
Very Interesting! I wish we had access to all types of PIC micro controllers here. Sadly we don't even have any SMD parts... I have the schematics of every IRX Mr.Tanaka has designed.

SS
Dec 01, 2011, 05:00 AM
Great to see, there is still something going on in the world of 'real micros' and you definitely had a great start into sub g.
These planes are really fun to fly, if you keep the wingloading down, I still enjoy to fly my 2 sub g s. So, if you plan for half the size, you might have a hard time to get the weight to 1/4 ...
Where did you get the magnet for the motor ?
Most people (including me) have the IR sensor pointing down, yours seems to be pointing forward. Did you experiment with this ? May be, your range gets better, if you change this.
Uwe
Dec 01, 2011, 08:13 AM
Expat
Wow! Thats impressive. Are there any reasonably priced kits for sale like this?
Dec 01, 2011, 10:26 AM
Ego varius quis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002
Very Interesting! I wish we had access to all types of PIC micro controllers here. Sadly we don't even have any SMD parts... I have the schematics of every IRX Mr.Tanaka has designed.

SS
I'm pretty sure that you can order parts from Farnell or Digikey. Shipping isn't too bad on 0.5g of ICs, either.
Dec 01, 2011, 12:08 PM
The problem is that they probably don't ship to Iran due to sanctions...

SS
Dec 01, 2011, 12:48 PM
Like a Boss
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Steller
Great to see, there is still something going on in the world of 'real micros' and you definitely had a great start into sub g.
These planes are really fun to fly, if you keep the wingloading down, I still enjoy to fly my 2 sub g s. So, if you plan for half the size, you might have a hard time to get the weight to 1/4 ...
Where did you get the magnet for the motor ?
Most people (including me) have the IR sensor pointing down, yours seems to be pointing forward. Did you experiment with this ? May be, your range gets better, if you change this.
Uwe

Thanks Uwe, the magnet came from super magnet man shop, Dan Baird sent me some last year for my bl motor experiments... as for the sensor i was going to mount it facing down, but mounted it this way instead, might reposition it, have to make a larger led array first, range is about 35ft right now... was enough to give it a few test flights.

Quick Reply