Mar 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
What goes up, must come down
so now that we have a (or should have) a programmer, all we need is to develop some Firmware for altitude hold and elevator control

Crazy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456
I belive we should be patient and see what those who get such a kit come up with. We haven't seen their aproach (even though its likely to be this) no code etc. So lets just wait and see.

Markus
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2012, 10:29 PM
So from looking at "AL PAPPY" the movie, its incredible to get flight times like that. Maybe he would like to share his setup with us,..

The big question is does the Nova Cyclop 1.0 hold altitude,.. There is a connection with the elevator servo, or is that just for making a turn.

Mar 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Filed a support request with HiModel to get the firmware programmer. Suggest everyone else who bought from them to do the same. Here is a template:

Hi,

I've bought NOVA OSD from you on DATE (order YOUR ORDER NUMBER). Since then several bugs have been discovered in NOVA OSD firmware and reported on RCGroups (see https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...547637&page=49). The manufacturer has acknowledged the defects and, as reported by BEVRC, is issuing firmware programmers to all affected customers. I, as many others who bought NOVA OSD from HiModel, want to get my NOVA OSD programmer to fix the firmware bugs.

Would you please send the programmer (or instruct the manufacturer to do so) to

YOUR ADDRESS

Thank you.
Last edited by mkuvy; Mar 15, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Mar 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantjezandje
So from looking at "AL PAPPY" the movie, its incredible to get flight times like that. Maybe he would like to share his setup with us,..

The big question is does the Nova Cyclop 1.0 hold altitude,.. There is a connection with the elevator servo, or is that just for making a turn.

Nope, It does not hold altitude (at least mine does not). The altutude gain or loss is determined by the throttle setting which is the current throttle setting on the transmitter (transmitter on and signal received by the receiver) or the failsafe setting if the receiver is not getting a signal.
Mar 15, 2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug
Hey fella's just a few quick yes/no questions;

1: Is it bad to setup the servos in the osd with a different throw amount in your TX to what your gonna fly with?

2: Is there any way at all to change the Voltage, and current readings?

Other than that manual seems pretty good and the unit works well on the ground. Some easy things beginners will stuff up but thats life (and poor design).

Regards

Doug
Hey Doug,

1) I have not seen any effect on the NOVA of calibrating it with different throws. It seems to me the calibration looks only for direction and not magnitude.
2) As of now there is no way. Recently there have been some reports of users being able to update firmware so it may be possible in future.... wait and see

Gavin
Mar 15, 2012, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinW
Nope, It does not hold altitude (at least mine does not). The altutude gain or loss is determined by the throttle setting which is the current throttle setting on the transmitter (transmitter on and signal received by the receiver) or the failsafe setting if the receiver is not getting a signal.
thought it would use the gps alt to control the elevator maybe?
i did notice it kept its altitude nicely on rth with preset throttle.. well on calm wind condition anyway

notice you're in perth mate, wer bout you fly?
i'm in south of the river..
Mar 15, 2012, 02:59 AM
Fatshark Repairs AU/NZ
Looks like Foxtech will be on board to help with this issue guys !!!!

2012/3/14

Hey there Fu ,
Hope all is well mate.

I have a question for you regarding the mah bug that the Nova osd has.
It appears that bevrc is sending out a firmware flashing tool to all people that have bought one from them.
Could you look into this for your purchasers as I bought 2 of these from you recently and have struck the mah battery use problem also.

My orders where Order #5700 and Order #4777

Can you please look into it for us as its very important , I have lost one plane because of this already , and wont use again till its fixed.

Patrick Coolahan

-------Original Message-------

Date: 15/03/2012 6:21:58 PM
To: patrick
Subject: Re: Nova osd bug fix

dear sir
we don't have that flash tools yet,
if we have it ,we will also send it .
cyclops confirmed there is a MAH error in the firmware
thanks
Fu

Thanks for the reply Fu , glad to hear your on board to fix this issue for your customers.
Please let us know when you have them to send out .
Could you also mention to Cyclops about possibly including altitude holding in the firmware update, I know a lot of people on rcgroups have noticed that even thought the elevator is used in turns , it is not used to hold altitude properly.

Thanks for you help Fu.

Cheers
Patrick Coolahan
Australia
Mar 15, 2012, 03:27 AM
FPV in Hawaii
[QUOTE=mkuvy;21038301]Filed a support request with HiModel to get the firmware programmer. Suggest everyone else who bought from them to do the same.

I just opened a support ticket with Himodel too. I named both BEVRC and Foxtech as being onboard, so hopefully the peer pressure will motivate them.
I recently had an issue with an FPV monitor I purchased from them and their communication and support were very helpful. It was Wang that helped me.

Anyone else who bought the Nova OSD from Himodel please open a ticket with them.
Mar 15, 2012, 03:34 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess
Anyone else who bought the Nova OSD from Himodel please open a ticket with them.
I have one on its way, with the issue no doubt, but id better wait til I get it to open a ticket. Should have it next week.

Getting the firmware rewritten to include altitude hold would be awesome!

Sam
Mar 15, 2012, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexpilot
thought it would use the gps alt to control the elevator maybe?
i did notice it kept its altitude nicely on rth with preset throttle.. well on calm wind condition anyway

notice you're in perth mate, wer bout you fly?
i'm in south of the river..
Hey trexpilot.
For sure with the right throttle setting the altitude won't change much but the Nova does not control altitude even though the gps altitude is good enough for coarse control.

I'm south of the river too. Fly any open space I can find :-) and always looking for new spaces.

Gavin
Mar 15, 2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinW
Hey Doug,

1) I have not seen any effect on the NOVA of calibrating it with different throws. It seems to me the calibration looks only for direction and not magnitude.
2) As of now there is no way. Recently there have been some reports of users being able to update firmware so it may be possible in future.... wait and see

Gavin
Cheers Gavin, Will hopefully maiden it tomorrow or saturday. Will post up video for sure.

Regards

Doug
Mar 15, 2012, 04:04 AM
ANOTHER VIDEO OF MY FLIGHT TEST ON THE NOVA OSD (RTH).
YOU CAN SEE THAT THE NOVA OSD 1.0V CAN HANDLE THE ALTITUDE VERY WELL
NOVA OSD RTH TEST !!!!!! (46 min 39 sec)

MY EQUIPMENT IS:
SKYWALKER
910 MHZ AND 0.8 WATT OUTPUT VIDEO TX
DRAGON LINK
2 BATTERY 11.1V 5000 MAH TOTAL 10000 MAH.
1 BATTERY 11.1V 1300 MAH FOR VIDEO
NOVA OSD 1.0V

RTH OPERATION STARTED AT 5012 METERS FROM " HOME" AND THE ALTITUDE WAS 555 METERS ON MINUTE 28:03 OF THE FLIGHT.
AND YOU CAN SEE HOW CAPABLE IS THE NOVA OSD 1.0V TO HOLD THE ALTITUDE OR SO............

THIS IS ONLY AN APPRECIATION
Last edited by EL PAPPY; Mar 15, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Mar 15, 2012, 04:26 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL PAPPY
ANOTHER VIDEO OF MY FLIGHT TEST ON THE NOVA OSD (RTH).
YOU CAN SEE THAT THE NOVA OSD 1.0V CAN HANDLE THE ALTITUDE VERY WELL

MY EQUIPMENT IS:
SKYWALKER
910 MHZ AND 0.8 WATT OUTPUT VIDEO TX
DRAGON LINK
2 BATTERY 11.1V 5000 MAH TOTAL 10000 MAH.
1 BATTERY 11.1V 1300 MAH FOR VIDEO
NOVA OSD 1.0V

RTH OPERATION STARTED AT 5012 METERS FROM " HOME" AND THE ALTITUDE WAS 555 METERS ON MINUTE 28:03 OF THE FLIGHT.
AND YOU CAN SEE HOW CAPABLE IS THE NOVA OSD 1.0V TO HOLD THE ALTITUDE

THIS IS ONLY AN APPRECIATION
Please stop posting in all upper cases. In the internet, this is to be interpreted as shouting. I'm sure you do not want to shout at us do you?

Then, I realize that english is not your native language (it's also not mine as one most likely can see). But please provide some proof why you think that the OSD controlls the altitude other than by just failsafing the throttle to a degree where the plane flies horizontal.

Unfortunately the video you posted is not available - at least not at the time of this writeing - but I wonder how you want to use a video to proof that the altitude is not only kept by the sheer throttle / failsafe thing?

Markus
Mar 15, 2012, 04:59 AM
The NOVA can't keep the altitude. Maybe you was just lucky.

As an old user of FMA Co-Pilot system (that use the same logics) the main difference is the NOVA uses just 2 thermo coupler, the Co-Pilot - it can keep the altitute - 4.
With four sensor pointing also forward and backward or mounted diagonally it can keep the altitude using the elevator.

In the case of NOVA the elevator is connected only for elevon planes, you can easy test it at ground if you move the plane on it's roll axis with PA active the airelon (or rudder) moves, if you move the plane on it's pitch axis nothing happens.

About the error of the current sensor I think maybe there is a fix by changing a resistor into the sensor board.
I get some measure of the output of the IC and the error on mine it's about 0,03v if I can push in some way this 0,03v more to the OSD board I will fix the issue. Probably a resistor need to be changed. I'm waiting the help of a friends that know electronics better than me!

Any suggestion?

Roberto.
Mar 15, 2012, 05:02 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by not103
In the case of NOVA the elevator is connected only for elevon planes, you can easy test it at ground if you move the plane on it's roll axis with PA active the airelon (or rudder) moves, if you move the plane on it's pitch axis nothing happens.
Assuming the nova would correct altitude, that test wouldn't make it show. Altitude would have to rely on gps data, the IR sensor only works in one axis. Maybe run down a hill real fast with it and look at the elevator lol!

Quick Reply