Nov 27, 2011, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

No GPS fix on ET :(

Hello, I am ground testing my Eagle Tree setup and cannot get a GPS fix. The GPS unit does not appear to be flashing (to indicate no fix). I have it plugged in for 5/10 minutes without any transmitter plugged in (I have OSD connected directly to TV). I am outside in open area but the Hom is "*" (i.e. not available) Sat is "*" etc.

It does not appear to be getting a fix

Any help would be great. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2011, 05:49 AM
Thread OP
Also guys, here is a screenshot of my software - It says "No GPS Expander Detected" down the bottom

I have the GPS expander in the right port in the right way as shown in the other picture.

I have used this product before and not had any problems, but perhaps I am missing some setting or something?

Thanks again.

Name: ETNoGpsExpanderDetected.png
Views: 67
Size: 153.5 KB
Description:

Name: Connection.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 301.0 KB
Description:
Nov 27, 2011, 06:19 AM
i think you put the gps in the wrong connector
Nov 27, 2011, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabazul
i think you put the gps in the wrong connector
thanks Nabazul i think it is in the right one though, ie the one nearest the USB port?
Nov 27, 2011, 06:38 AM
Thread OP
to clarify, i have the gps plugged into the top connector seen and circled here.Name: etlOGGERcONNECTIONS.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 187.8 KB
Description:
Nov 27, 2011, 06:40 AM
Did you go to “Hardware, Choose Parameters to Log in the Recorder” in the app, and select “GPS Parameters”
Nov 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm
Did you go to “Hardware, Choose Parameters to Log in the Recorder” in the app, and select “GPS Parameters”
Thanks smarm, ya I checked it. I also checked the Spektrum Logging setting

Name: ETsettings.png
Views: 89
Size: 87.3 KB
Description:

Any other ideas? It is a faulty unit?
Nov 27, 2011, 08:02 AM
Thread OP
Also, the GPS unit flashes indefinitely while I have it inside (indicating it seems to be working and is trying to get a fix?) and when I have it outside it stops flashing quickly (indicating it has got a fix?) but the EagleTree loggers doesn't seem to pick it up in either scenario.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.
Nov 27, 2011, 08:55 AM
The usual one, is your ET GPS module anywhere near a video transmitter?

I had this issue when I was first setting up the ET hardware, no gps fix, as soon as I moved it away from the video Tx, by a foot or Two, it started locking on to satellites with no problems.

If you arent using one nearby, double check all your connections. Does the ET software have a diagnostics console, allowing you to see what the gps module is picking up? Cant remember now, sold my ET gear some time ago.

There IS a dedicated ET section on RCGroups, might also be worth asking your Qs there, as ET staff will reply and assist directly.
Nov 28, 2011, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefly
Thanks smarm, ya I checked it. I also checked the Spektrum Logging setting

Attachment 4445374

Any other ideas? It is a faulty unit?
hi,
i haven´t tested it. the spectrum interface and gps-antenna share one port on the logger. spectrum and gps use a different data-protocol.
in my opinion that may cause your issue .... switch off spectrum logging and you shall get a fix.

cheers Thomas
Nov 28, 2011, 06:05 AM
Sounds like your "TX" and "RX" leads from the GPS are the wrong way around. An astrix (*) often means the OSD didnt recieve anything back when It aasked for GPS data. Have you tried a different GPS module?

Regards

Doug
Nov 28, 2011, 07:35 AM
Check the "Note" in the instructions for the spektrum interface cable...

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Support/manuals.htm

ET have already stated that the spektrum and the GPS do not work together. Switch the spektrum off in the software and disconnect the cable. Your GPS should then be fine... hopefully!
Nov 28, 2011, 07:38 AM
Sorry... I think I misread your original post... you are not using the spektrum cable with your GPS!
Dec 14, 2011, 02:58 AM
I seem to be having the same problem.

I can get the blinking light to go off if I leave the device outside for a short time, but then when I look at the data just as described by the aussie I don't see any GPS data recorded. I have it setup basically the same way as him.

I don't have any transmitters on at all and am just carrying the GPS around outside school
Last edited by Darker4308; Dec 14, 2011 at 03:14 AM.
Dec 14, 2011, 04:03 AM
GREAT NEWS

I found out the problem is with the software. I was having the exact same problem as you and now it's fixed.

Advanced --- > Delete all eagle tree settings.

You made a minor error in the software install that I think we both made probably due to bad firmware or some unknown stuff either way it messed up GPS recording. After you redo all your stuff the stuff the GPS will lock on perfectly when you are outside and then show up in the recording as soon as it has locked on.

There is nothing wrong with your GPS.

Quick Reply