T-Rex 450 SE v2 Turnigy Batteries and OrangeRx receivers? - RC Groups
Nov 26, 2011, 10:45 PM
The 450 Noob
Question

T-Rex 450 SE v2 Turnigy Batteries and OrangeRx receivers?

Hi. First post here! I just picked up a nice deal on a brand new T-Rex 450 SE v2 with all the electronics except a receiver and battery for $275. I have a few questions though as I have a VERY small budget and am looking into some aftermarket/clone receivers and batteries. Ok now the questions...

Are the OrangeRx R610 receivers good enough to put in my precious bird?

What is the range on these things when mounted on my 450?

Will I need a Satellite extender for the receiver?

Are the Turnigy Batteries found on hobbyking reliable also?

Sorry for all the questions guys I'm a newcomer to the CP and ARF side of the hobby as I have bought RTF FP heli's/airplanes until now. I have a DX6i so I'm set in the radio category.

Thanks in advance, Elliot
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
Hi mate, not a heli flyer (yet!) but I fly many different fixed wing planes with the Turnigy batteries and OrangeRx receivers.

I have yet to have a failure of the OrangeRx 6ch receivers, and I use them in everything up to my 5ft nitro-powered Big Stick. I recommend them to anyone who flies Spektrum or JR. You will not need a satellite receiver, but it may be a good idea if your bird is all carbon fibre, as carbon fibre blocks your radio signal. Tight housing behind motors/batteries etc may also require a nicely positioned satellite. If you position the receiver well, you should not need a satellite.

Turnigy/Rhino/Zippy batteries on the HK website are good value performers. I have used them from day 1 with no problems whatsoever and would recommend the Zippy Flightmax 2200mAh 20C packs found here for best bang for your buck. You can buy the cheaper 'B Grade' packs HK sells but they are factory seconds and not expected to last past 60 charge cycles, they also don't have a warranty.

Hope that helps mate, all the best - boingk
Nov 27, 2011, 12:23 AM
The 450 Noob
Thanks for the help man I needed a good opinion on these batteries and Rx's since they are DIRT cheap . About 1/3 the price of a used Spektrum branded rx or Align battery used :P . Now to order the goods from HobbyKing and let the waiting games begin.... (And I gotta look up the inevitable replacement parts)
Nov 27, 2011, 03:41 PM
Professional heli wrecker
While you are at it I would most certainly buy and run the xtra sat with the orange Rx. Having a sat out on the tail is priceless. When I was using them in my 6s stretched 450s I ran the wires up along the tail boom struts and mounted the sat at the junction. With HK's cheap pricing the sats are a bargain. Having the sat is a no brainer for half a dozen reasons.
Nov 27, 2011, 05:51 PM
Acepilot13
Thanks for the reply Luvmyhelis, I have ordered a Sat extender also . Turns out the turnigy batteries have xt60 connectors and My esc has deans !! now I have to get an adapter thats backordered on HK or for $10 off ebay. I found the password to my old rcgroups account too....
Last edited by Acepilot13; Nov 27, 2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Needed to clarify my username....
Nov 27, 2011, 08:05 PM
All you need to do is order some XT60 plugs and solder one to the ESC, or make your own adaptor.

I've standardised to JST and XT60 because thats what the packs I buy are fitted with.

Cheers - boingk