View Poll Results: Would you seriously be interested in buying a kit?
yes 52 94.55%
No 3 5.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Nov 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
ParkScaleModels
Thread OP
Question

New possible kit - 1/16 scale Grumman Goose

I posted this in the parkflyer forum, but this may be a better forum for it.

I've always got at least half a dozen design ideas in the works, so before I take this one too much further, I really want to gauge if there's enough interest in the idea/design to actually develop and produce a kit.

Here's the run down:
1/16" sport scale Grumman Goose
Span: 36-3/4"
Length: 28-7/8"
Wing Area: 211 sq.in.
Target AUW: 14oz
Controls: R/E/A/T

The idea behind the 'sport scale' classification would be to simplify some of the features. Construction would be similar to my Cessna designs - 1/16" sheet sides, 1/16" sheeting on the bottom, rounded fuselage top would be done with stringers.

Intended power system would be two 2000kV 10g outrunners swinging GWS 5x3 3-bladed props running on a 3S pack (850mAh or so). I've used the setup in my Cessna 337 and it has more than enough power!

Before anyone asks, No, I don't intend to scale it up. The idea is for a small, fun and inexpensive scale flying boat that you can easily put in your car and take to your local pond (or large puddle of water) or grass field. If I can come up with a simple removable landing gear system, I'll do that too.

So...let me know what you think.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
Close enough
Hi Zeke. I'd place an order for one. And it would be my first multi-engined plane.

Marc
Nov 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
Dou have any idea of the price?

Are you talking ARF or Kit?

Glen
Nov 26, 2011, 10:58 PM
ParkScaleModels
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Dou have any idea of the price?

Are you talking ARF or Kit?

Glen
No idea on price yet...guestimate would be under $80. This is a kit.
Nov 27, 2011, 12:49 AM
I really like the float tips mounted out on the wing, I was going to suggest that but felt like I was pestering you!

I gotta say it guys I have put together a lot of balsa kits over the years and I love the design of the kits and ease of assembly. It really makes it enjoyable.

I will end up with two , awesome platform for micro fpv, def putting my 5.8ghz gear in
Last edited by mitsudriver274; Nov 27, 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Nov 27, 2011, 07:42 AM
MaineFlyer

Count me in!

I would be interested!

Joe
Nov 27, 2011, 08:20 AM
I always loved the round-engined Grumman amphibs.

If you still need beta build volunteers, add me to the list.
Nov 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
I think this is a great idea .

I voted no only because I build from scratch in foam , good luck with your project .
Nov 28, 2011, 03:42 AM

I'm interested

I would definitely buy this plane, I remember when I was younger I used to watch them land at Catalina Island, brings back good memories.
Nov 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NubePilot
I would definitely buy this plane, I remember when I was younger I used to watch them land at Catalina Island, brings back good memories.
What a coincidence. I rode the Goose to Catalina and back a couple of times in 1954. I was working for United Airlines at the time but couldn't catch our DC-3 because of schedule. I've been interested in the Goose ever since then.

Glen
Nov 28, 2011, 04:25 PM
David Johnston
Hello Zeke!

You can tell from my screen-name that your Goose is a great idea ~ I have always wanted to add a Goose to my hangar of water planes.

My interest comes from the fact that I worked with an entire fleet of Gooses (and their outstanding pilots) on Catalina Island for 7 years in the 1960's.

I am including a Catalina Air Lines color scheme photo to get the creative juices going...

Happy Landings -

--DJ
Nov 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
Great idea, I just voted with yes.

It would be nice to get one of.

Jürgen
Nov 28, 2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrubaker
I've always got at least half a dozen design ideas in the works, so before I take this one too much further, I really want to gauge if there's enough interest in the idea/design to actually develop and produce a kit.
How many will you have to sell to make it worthwhile?

Glen
Nov 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
road wart
I want one......hurry please
Nov 28, 2011, 07:00 PM
I also want one !!!

Quick Reply