Nov 22, 2011, 06:33 AM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Thread OP
Question

using hot glue to glue servos - does this glue stay in cold weather?

I'm building my 1st sailplane, it's a Flyfly ask21. I've been using hot glue to glue my servos on the fuselage and wings. I was thinking once the plane is finished to maybe maiden it on my Dad's farm. It's getting cold here, about 23f.
Does hot glue react well in cold weather?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2011, 08:58 AM
Greetings Charles,

I'm a cold weather flier as well, but I've used a silicone sealer/adhesive for about seven years. I'll offer a few thoughts...

I think you may find several types of hot glue; some more flexible than others. Might want to search the web a bit and pick one that has a little "give" to it. My thinking is that it might do better in colder climes.

I've only had one servo loosen up on me and I think that was a poor prep on my part. I normally clean the servo case with de-natured alcohol, scuff the surface to be glued with sandpaper and clean the case one last time before applying adhesive.

Also, you might consider "blocking in" your servo with scrap balsa to prevent any twisting of the servo should it come loose and it provides a little reinforcement as well.

Good luck,
Dave
Last edited by Highride; Nov 22, 2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: mispell
Nov 22, 2011, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't use a hot glue gun for servos.
I use Shoe Goo, clear urethane adhesive. But only to glue in servos, after I have "boxed" them in with a balsa frame. Frame is built up with CA adhesive.
With urethane adhesive, you can carefully pry out a servo without damaging a wing, or even monokote covering.
Nov 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
I have been using Zap-a-dapa-goo for aileron and flap servos for at least ten years, in many airplanes, and never had one come loose. This includes flying in sub-zero weather.

Mike
Nov 22, 2011, 07:56 PM
Jack
I live in Maine and fly in the winter when I can. I am mostly a scratchbuilt foamie flyer and use PU glues and hot glues.

When I found things popping loose occasionally I tried some better quality hot glues and it made a big difference.

A technique I use a lot is to make conventional tail feathers in two parts, a hstab/elevator and vstab/rudder, with packing tape covered FFF (for color and strength) and then hot glue the vstab to the hstab with a hot glue fillet weld. A typical tail like that is seen in the photo and the glue can be faintly seen where the vstab contacts the hstab.

The best cold weather hot glue I've found that is widely available (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) is the Arrow Brand #BSS6-4 "SuperPower Slow Set Glue Sticks for Woodworking" glue stick. The glue needs to be applied with the high temp on a dual temp gun.

I can occasionally pull a glued joint apart but in most cases the parts will be deformed and destroyed before I can pull them apart.

Jack
Nov 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
I've used hot glue for years without a single problem.
Nov 23, 2011, 09:06 PM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Thread OP
thanks for all of the replies. I' going to try and test it this weekend on the ground.
Nov 23, 2011, 09:12 PM
Wood Chucker
I've used hot glue with reasonable results particularly on park flyers with short life spans. The problem I have is here in Texas the summer heat will soften hot glue to the point where it begins to plasticize. Even a slight impact will tend to cause trim to change. I've decided to go back to hardwood rails for servo mounts in the fuse and build up a tray for any servos in wings.
Mar 12, 2013, 03:06 PM
Or, for me, I use 5-minute epoxy with the servos. at least for foamies. When you need to get it out, you just pop it out. some foam comes with (not much at all). I also use some dbl sided foam tape to get a good foundation. No issues. Takes a few minutes to mix, but is good in cold and hot weather. On a few very hard landings, I've had a servo pop loose, but hec, most things would pop on hard landing. :-)

Quick Reply