Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Jim.Thompson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 21, 2011, 10:32 PM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Wing moulds!


I have now made the moulds and split them. I used a fairly light epoxy/glass layup of around 4 mm thick only and stiffened them up with 30 mm RHS section steel tubing. The tubing is only glued along the LE and the TE, but will keep them nice and straight and prevent twisting.
the moulds split ok with only a bit of TE breakout where I failed to fill the join between the TE spacer and the TE. As a result, some resin mix soaked between the spacer and the parting board. No great problem though and I have already started to repair the slight gaps.
I have now made a more reasonably sized joiner - 40 x 14 and with a foam core and ply shear web. It has only 40 lengths of 50k carbon tow and is 85 grams. But I have yet to trim it. Very strong. Today I started the joiner box(s) and began by wrapping the joiner with drop sheet plastic after I had lightly lubricated it with vaseline. Then I spiral wound strips of 100gsm glass about 30mm wide around the plastic covered assembly in both directions. I then wet it out with resin. When it was still green, I made sure it would move on the joiner.
Next step is to spiral wind it with carbon tow in both directions.

I hope to be laying up wings next week!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Thread OP

Pictures.


I forgot to post the pics. Here they are.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Nov 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Nov 23, 2011, 03:28 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
pope's Avatar

Great work Jim


Looking good Jim, i am still working on the plugs, not a lot of time.

I like the idea of steel frame, I am going to try something different and will post some pics, if the tests work.
Nov 23, 2011, 04:57 AM
Entropy is happening!
Jim.Thompson's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks Dave. There is a couple of slight problems, but they can be set right. I did not seal the junction of the TE trench spacer and the TE of the plug on the bottom moulds. (I did this on the top ones later using a mix of "Q" cells and PVA). Some epoxy seeped under it and when the spacer was pulled from the mould, it tore off small chips of surface coat from the TE. It is filled and sanded back to contour now.
The other problem is that I did not use a external template to position each plug accurately down to the chord line in the parting board. One mould is slightly deeper than the other. This requires some shimming and juggling to get them positioned for finishing the joiner alignment part of the mould. This has to be done to ensure both wings are in the same plane when joined with the joiner through the fuselage. Needless to say!

Of course, in the case of a one part wing, the above does not apply and the whole job is much simpler.

edit: While writing this, I just thought of how to accurately shim up the moulds to get the joiner positioners correct. I just need to put the plugs back in the bottom moulds, sit them root to root, level up and check for respective heights using a spirit level. Problem solved!

Note to self: Next time, use a template to position the plugs in the parting boards!
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Nov 23, 2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: extra information.


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Trying a new way to make prototype moulds emufingers Composites Fabrication 62 Sep 01, 2011 09:34 PM
Build Log building RW 4 moulds moulder High Performance 31 Jul 04, 2011 09:45 AM