Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 21, 2011, 06:54 AM
Question

zupair z1

I just got my z1 yesterday and i plan on powering it has anyone done this and if so what motor did you put on?

i am not looking for speed, i'm just trying to get it up to thermal hight and have good control.

Are there any assembly tips you can pass on from experience?

Any bad tendencies i should know about befor the first flight?

thanks, mark in fl
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If it helps, scroll down to the 'Similar Threads' list, there is one 'Discussion' thread there on the Zupair Z1.
Nov 22, 2011, 03:05 AM
Molon Labe
Try this link...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1451939...
Jan 06, 2012, 11:03 AM

Screaming ZupAir

Hi guys,

As modelers we think that having a fast aerobatic model flying around is impressive, cool, fun etc.

To others at a park or slope area...its the sound of a leaf blower amplified because its in a normally quiet environment.

Pusher props on wings, or up on plyons above wings or thru the center of wings make as much noise as a chain saw or leaf blower but its not the volume or frequency that is most abusive...its the mobility.

Our models are above any blockages like tree lines or buildings or fences.

Its the prop air beating against the wing that makes it sound like a fast glow engine on a tuned pipe.

Powered airplane flying fields have pilot stations, safety fences to keep people out from under the models. Sailplane flying sites don't because they don't spend their time flying over a 'field'. They fly from a field, but even if they are over a field, they are virtually invisible due to their lack of sound.

Protect your own flying sites by realizing that a when a motor is installed on a sailplane it becomes a powered model.

Slope sites have been lost because guys started flying electric powered models. The models switched from graceful and majestic to ...noisy.

I fly all kinds of power but mostly competitive sailplanes, a lot. Be careful where you decide to have your fun....so you don't lose your's.

Gordy
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
Jan 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Gordy makes a good point.

mark in fl, it sounds like what you are planning to do is consistant with what Gordy suggests.

My club is a thermal soaring club but we do have some slope sites nearby. They are not "offical" flying sites so we are always concerned about being locked out. So I remind my friends that the more silent we are the more likely we are to be allowed back.

Good points Gordy.
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 06, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Jan 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
I understand ,i dont want my mello harshed when flying either. I fly flatland and its a real ama airfield. I
would never risk my field by doing somthing stupid like what you suggest. I am suprised you posted on this thread i would think you could start your own directed just to your point. Dont hate electric gliders, i like the winch too but when they pack it up the thermals are just getting started.
Mark in fl. Ps: i dont think there is a slope within 100 miles of us lol.

Quick Reply