Feb 26, 2012, 10:44 PM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
Various shots taken by my buddy Gerard.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
I have flown the Tigra quite a bit and I really like it.

In addition to flying on really light lift, and looking cool in fly bys, it is a blast for doing sequential loops, my record is 5 in a row.

It also does an OK wing-over. I need to try rolls with aileron differential turned off.

It really doesn't stall. Installed at very high angles of attack at low speed you lose lateral control and it whips around turning downwind. The key is to push the nose down before it gets to that point.

Definitely a keeper.
Jul 01, 2012, 10:04 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
Here's a question for you guys who have been flying the Tigra for a while.

I've been flying my Tigra for a couple of weeks now and I'm a bit stumped. It flies very well in a wide band of wind speeds, but it has an annoying trait of pitching up and climbing with speed. At the moment, the CG is such that the elevons are level with the TE in level flight. (right at 107) I've tried moving the CG forward and back, and I've given up and decided that maybe this is how this airfoil flies. Also, rolls are not axial at all and I think that is also an attribute of the airfoil. It flies around nicely in light lift and thermals very well, but in a dive or fast pass, or when the wind picks up, I have to really push the nose down. Inverted flight requires a lot of push. It flies fine, just not like my other planes. Has this been your experience or have I not got it balanced properly yet?

I must admit, I DS'ed it yesterday in 3-4 mph and it was smooth but it took a bit of practice to get it to not keep cutting in after the bottom turn.
Jul 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
Hello Bluzharp,

I would say your experience is similar to mine. It does tend to pitch up with increase in speed/lift and you need to push the nose down to keep it from pulling up and weather-vaning. In general as lift/speed pick up I add down elevator, typically flying with 1-3mm down. I only fly with the ailerons level with the TE under the lightest of conditions. As the speed/lift picks up I dial in more down. I have my radio programmed with three different sets of down trim.

I agree rolls are not axial, especially if you are flying with the recommended differential.

I have only flown a few planks, but I think all this behavior is typical. It did take me a while to figure it out too.

As you said, it flies a little different, but is a lot of fun, especially under light conditions. The plank wing construction is also very strong. I feel comfortable tossing it out under any condition. Even if it results in a poor landing/crash, there is no damage.

In addition to flying under a variety of conditions (if you stay on the trim) it does multiple sequential loops really well. My current record is 7.

Enjoy

Greg
Jul 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks Greg. It's good to have confirmation. It's a fun flyer for what it does. I have a number of planks/wings and they are not like this. They can be balanced for neutral inverted flight and can be wound up to very high speeds with no attitude change. Rolls are dead on center like screw threads.

As you made the the point, the Tigra is a bit different and performs the function it was designed for very well. When I try to push it into another area, some adjustment is required.

I also agree with your point that it is surprisingly rugged. Our local LZ here is somewhat sketchy and I don't make it to the weeds every time. So far there has been no damage from a couple of stony landings. I did put a bit of Scotch 471 clear vinyl tape on the nose and underbelly section for protection.

I should have painted the bottom a bit more for visibilty, as this baby will thermal out of sight in a hurry!
Jul 01, 2012, 11:40 AM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
It does sound like our experiences of the Tigra match.

The only other plank I have is a Fauvel: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1465565&page=5. It took a while to sort out, but it is a blast. It also rolls quite axially, but has an elevator in addition to ailerons.

Greg
May 11, 2013, 06:57 PM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
I continue to fly the Tigra regularly under light conditions and really enjoy it!

Its ruggedness is also quite impressive! I have cartwheeled it more than once!
May 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
I love mine dearly but it took a while to get there.
Careful placement of CG is crucial.

LP
May 12, 2013, 12:56 PM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
Yes, I agree that finding the CG is critical.

I also fly with three different preset pitch trims which I change depending on speed and lift. From what I can tell, this is typical for planks.

It does especially nice hammerheads and barrel rolls! And of course it loops tightly and infinitely!

Greg
May 18, 2013, 06:47 PM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP

Tigra RIP - Not!

I was flying the Tigra today under light conditions while a good friend was flying his $$$$ 3m moldie close to the slope.

In the tight airspace we we collided! The Tigra wrapped itself around his V-Tail and the pair went into a flat spin landing horizontally between rocks with no damage to his plane! I said "phew"! He bought me a couple beers, so we are good!

I have a new wing on order!
May 18, 2013, 08:24 PM
G,

I had a midair with a gentle lady with mine also a few months back but only broken servo horn and slight damage to leading edge. Thx for reminding me to fix it.
May 18, 2013, 08:29 PM
Bernoulli was only guessing.
The Tigra is on my short list of must have gliders

Where was this picture taken? (I know its the Golden Gate, where are you flying from ... what location).

Last edited by Tspin; May 18, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
May 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
My right wing is damaged a bit from a DS incident. It's glued back together and flies fine but if I decide to replace it, I'll either reduce the reflex or cut longer elevons to try to fix the annoying pitch change problem. Other than that, it is wonderful plane.
May 19, 2013, 11:45 AM
Cant fly enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspin
Where was this picture taken? (I know its the Golden Gate, where are you flying from ... what location).
Hi Tspin. It is from the Berkeley Marina see:http://www.soarheads.com/documents/curiouscustoms.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp
I'll either reduce the reflex or cut longer elevons to try to fix the annoying pitch change problem. Other than that, it is wonderful plane.
Interesting idea bluzharp. But I am uncertain it would fix the problem. My other plank, a Fauvel, flies identically.
May 19, 2013, 03:14 PM
Bernoulli was only guessing.
Greg that link does not work for me.

Where at the Berkeley Marina do you fly?

Quick Reply