KK Board Bluetooth and LCD Emulator - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 20, 2011, 03:42 PM
Discussion

KK Board Bluetooth and LCD Emulator

I donít know how much interest there might be in something like this, but I thought I would throw it out here and see.

I took a look a the datasheet for Sparkfunís Serial LCD. (http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/SerLCD_V2_5.PDF) The commands seemed easy enough, so I wrote a .Net program to emulate the LCD screen. I used an inexpensive Bluetooth module that I picked up on eBay and connected it to the serial pins on my KK board.

Since the XX firmware only uses two commands, I kept the program simple and only emulated those commands. The program probably wonít work correctly for any other boards that use the Serial LCD module. I don't have any other boards to test this with, so I don't know what commands would need to be emulated, but it could be done...

This is the Bluetooth module I am using.

My board (KK Plus 5.5d) has the LCD pins right next to the rudder input pins. I just hooked up positive, ground and signal to the corresponding pins on the Bluetooth module. If your board doesn't have the LCD pins, use pins 9,2 and 10 for signal, +5v and ground. Since it weighs next to nothing, I found a spot to mount it and leave it hooked up all the time.

After pairing it to my laptop, tuning and tweaking is super simple. Land, disarm, make a change and take off.

Yes, you will need a laptop or tablet PC with you, so this isnít an option for some people. It might still be useful for initial setup.

I would guess that a simple serial cable could be used instead of the Bluetooth module, but I haven't tried it. My intent was to get rid of cables.

If there is enough interest, Iíll find a place to host the program. For now, if you are interested in inital testing, send me a PM with your email. The .Net Framework 2 is required for the program.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2011, 05:34 PM
Interesting idea BlackCat_

Thinking logically, the perfect solution would be to (somehow!) have a display mounted on the Tx in a similar way to FrSky and without the use of a pc.

or perhaps I am just dreaming

I think MWC uses a few more commands than XX, so could also easily be made compatible ?
Nov 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
With the cool firmware mods for the TH9X, it wouldn't be too hard at all to have the display on the transmitter. I don't have one to play with yet. (ordered)

Or, a second BT module could be hooked to the LCD module, but then it would need power and probably an enclosure of some kind.

Another thought is for an experienced Androd developer make an app to do the display via BT. I hope that wasn't too subtle of a hint.

I'm sure I could make the program compatible with the WMC. It may already be depending on the commands it uses.
Dec 18, 2011, 01:42 PM
Ok, here is the program. It is untested by anyone but me, so your mileage may very.

Right click anywhere to bring up the menu. The "Set Comm Port" option also opens the port.
Dec 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Hi BC,

My NeXtcopter code uses a similar LCD serial interface but also supports the much richer MWC serial interface. I was going to try exactly the same bluetooth module that you link to, but in the end just use my LCD in the field.

The Android guys have an app for the MWC GUI so that Android mobiles can link directly with the BT module on the copter and so seen the MWC on the mobile. As an iPhone user this isn't an option for me. I already modified the MWC GUI for my code and a little birdy told me that someone is doing a .NET version of the MWC GUI. If so, then it will be easier for small laptops or Windows tablets to connect wirelessly in the field.

Interesting project!
Dec 18, 2011, 06:13 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Gents,
Thanks BC!
Is BlueStacks a way ahead for multi OS platform use? http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/37755/
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Dec 20, 2011, 04:23 AM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Hi BlackCat_
Is the BT modue you bought a master or a slave module?
There are heaps on eBay and I'm not sure which is best...
Dec 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
The one on I have is a slave. Your PC acts as the master.
If you get the wrong one, it can be changed with "AT" commands.
Dec 20, 2011, 06:12 PM
very interesting so i ordered also a bluetooth board , same board as Blackcat_
Is the pin State and Key to be used?
hope to find an Android app which does the same as your pc application.
Found one on android market Bluetooth Serial Test App ,maybe the designer is willing to change the app similar like yours on the pc.
Last edited by jaccies; Dec 20, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Dec 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
The pins I used are TX, Ground and 5V. Connect to the coorisponding pins of the LCD connector on the newer Plus board, or on the programming port on other boards.

I'm making slow progress on an Android app. No idea when I might have something to share...
Dec 23, 2011, 03:30 PM
The Android app lives!
I just need to do some more testing, a little spit and polish and make it user-proof. Then I need to package it up and put it in the Android Market. It should be available early next week.
Dec 23, 2011, 04:08 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Congrats BC! Merry Christmas too!
I'd love to learn how you did that!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat_
The Android app lives!
I just need to do some more testing, a little spit and polish and make it user-proof. Then I need to package it up and put it in the Android Market. It should be available early next week.
Dec 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat_
The Android app lives!
thanks blackcat_ , so when my bluetooth board arrives i can use it ..well done
Dec 25, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hi there

Cool stuff!

On the bluetooth module - I have one that plugs into my PC = mounted on USB connector and looks the same as the one in the pic.

Which pins are signal, +5v and ground?

Merry Christmas!
Dec 26, 2011, 02:10 AM
TZ, I can't say for sure if your module is the same or not, but the one I have is like this:

Quick Reply