Nov 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

looking for a good daytime/dawn/dusk camera

im getting ready to buy a video system for my plane and i was looking for a good daytime/dawn/dusk camera. i wanted at least standard definition (480p) and somthing that wont give what i believe is called "over exposure". this is when you look at the sky slightly ans the ground becomes dark, and vice versa.

preferably under $75
thanks a ton
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
Is this for FPV? My WDR600 does a decent job. It can see pretty well in the evening, even when its getting too dark for my own eyes to see.

Cameras will always make the ground dark to a certain extent when you look at a light sky at dusk. That's why you just use pan to keep the ground in most of the view.

During the day that's different, the wdr600 does great, even looking directly into the sun.
Nov 20, 2011, 01:09 PM
Engineer for Christ
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....8mm-lens.html

Turn on the D-WDR and leave the rest stock settings. If you want even better clarity and a fun effect, invert the colors

Here's a video taken at dusk:

(2 min 48 sec)
Nov 20, 2011, 01:42 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Very entertaining video! Boy, that plane has more than nine lives!
Nov 20, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87
Is this for FPV? My WDR600 does a decent job. It can see pretty well in the evening, even when its getting too dark for my own eyes to see.

Cameras will always make the ground dark to a certain extent when you look at a light sky at dusk. That's why you just use pan to keep the ground in most of the view.

During the day that's different, the wdr600 does great, even looking directly into the sun.
yes ill be flying from this cam.

what specs should i be looking for?

hows this http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...rd-Camera.html

IBcrazy: hahah "tree slalom"
Last edited by fpvguy; Nov 20, 2011 at 09:38 PM.
Nov 21, 2011, 12:45 AM
anything with at least 0.01 lux.
at least 480/540 tvl. 600 tvl is popular now that the price has come down, tho the transmitters only broadcast 480/520tvl and even if they do tx higher few devices natively show anything beyond 480/540p if even that lol

but the cost difference is like 5-10 bucks, so you may as well go 600tvl (or more)

flying at dawn/dusk is pretty. if you correct your colors manually for daytime, they're real pretty.
as the sun goes down, you cant even tell in FPV because our tx/rx/viewing devices dont typically show good quality. its actually best because as soon as its below the horizon the cameras dont white/black out as badly so you can see real well!
you don't notice when the camera goes into low-light mode with base paper colors. everything still looks pretty. (mostly because we're dont dealing with as much quality as the cameras can put out by the time you do the tx/rx/viewing device chain)
then at dusk you can see the sky on the horizon, but everything else is getting darker, but you see street lights, etc VERY clearly and they light up large portions of ground.
then you hit twilight/night and in the short span of about 5-15 minutes you go from still being able to see everything in low-light color mode (basepaper colors) to pitch black (minus anything lit up by lights) & the camera goes to black & white mode.
Last edited by Toysrme; Nov 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Nov 21, 2011, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....1mm-Lens.html

can someone post a link to a mic for this to get sound?
Last edited by fpvguy; Nov 21, 2011 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply