This thread is privately moderated by RedRanger, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 19, 2011, 08:06 PM
Did you say up or down?
Thread OP
Discussion

Big Flat Ultimate by DemonGTi

This is a funny story. My father was forced to buy a new fridge as the old one died suddenly. Of course I was called because I own a truck. Go pick up the fridge, move old fridge and install new fridge and then get rid of old fridge. So I am calling this story "I bought some foam that came with a new fridge!"
Anyway, the fridge came with some nice 14mm EPS(styrofaom) sheets. They were just perfect in dimensions for the BFU.
I printed the one sheet plan and transferred all the measurements to the EPS. I cut it out with a xknife instead of my hotwire cutter. Was just easier. I was concerned that this foam was to flimbsy but once it started going together I was surprised at its rigidity.
The EPS has a few imperfections so I do not know if I will cover the wings in tape or spackle,sand and minwax
Want to put the Park480 in but I don't have it yet so may try this
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2127

Just have the control rods and horns to install and she is ready for the power system.

Regards,

E.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
Watt Waster

Ultimate

It is hard to tell, but just how big is this plane? To bad you didn't cold roll the top part so it wouldn't look so boxy. Maybe next time.
Nov 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
Did you say up or down?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah
It is hard to tell, but just how big is this plane? To bad you didn't cold roll the top part so it wouldn't look so boxy. Maybe next time.
Hey Tsavah,

My wingspan is 39". You can find the build log here by DemonGTi https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...+flat+ultimate
What is cold rolling? Could you explain? Would love to know how if it would make my models look nicer.

Regards,

E.
Nov 24, 2011, 07:33 PM
Watt Waster

Cold Rolling Foam Sheet and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Hey Tsavah, My wingspan is 39". You can find the build log here by DemonGTi - What is cold rolling? Could you explain? Would love to know how if it would make my models look nicer. Regards, E.
Not much to the process if you are using a soft enough foam board. The secret is mostly in the firm foam rubber pad that is at least 2" thick. I like to use 3" thick or more myself. I will attach a Youtube video I made. So far this seems to be the simplest method that keeps the wrinkles and other issues in the hard to see category.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tsavah?f.../2/tIM5B5m8Av0
Last edited by Tsavah; Nov 24, 2011 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Dec 07, 2011, 01:17 AM
Dixie Normious
Awesome Build man, cant wait to see it fly!! Looks sort of like my Infinion
Dec 07, 2011, 06:01 PM
Did you say up or down?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78
Awesome Build man, cant wait to see it fly!! Looks sort of like my Infinion
Your Infineon Build inspired me! Couldn't find EPP so found plans for what I could grab!!

Thanks Bud!

E.
Dec 21, 2011, 02:55 AM
Dixie Normious
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Your Infineon Build inspired me! Couldn't find EPP so found plans for what I could grab!!

Thanks Bud!

E.
yea good luck finding EPP in canada! I ordered a 6 sheet bundle form RCFoam.com
came to around $60 with shipping, still all in all 10 bucks a plane an't to bad!! lol
Dec 21, 2011, 12:19 PM
Did you say up or down?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78
yea good luck finding EPP in canada! I ordered a 6 sheet bundle form RCFoam.com
came to around $60 with shipping, still all in all 10 bucks a plane an't to bad!! lol
Couldn't believe it! Found EPP at my LHS plus real Depron. They were hiding it in the back. Not bad pricing either. I think $8 for a sheet of 9mm. They have 1mm, 3mm, 6mm, 9mm and some I think thats 13mm

I am going to try some after the Holidays or when I stop messing with my new toys! I love these Quads man!

Quick Reply