Nov 19, 2011, 02:13 PM
Essayons
Discussion

Flying in Chico, CA

My usual spot at Marsh Middle School is under heavy construction and I think they are putting a building up in the middle of where we fly.

Anyone have good places to fly park planes and helis in or very close to Chico? Oroville's flying site is great, but it's a 30 minute drive; I'd like it to be less than 10.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
I see you are looking for somewhere to fly as well.i'm in Fullerton,ca and looking
Feb 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
Goiterboy

Place to fly

There is a small rc runway behind amain hobbies warehouse, and i have had luck flying my cz yak, and extra 300 at De Garmo park north end of chico on esplanade, but only if its not too crowded. Like a wednesday or something. Would not reccomend De garmo on saturday at all. Let me know if you guys want to get together.
Feb 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
Essayons
Yeah, I've been flying some at Degarmo durring the early mornings, but the highway's proximity makes me a little nervous with my 42" slick. A Main's strip is pretty cool, but I'm still getting use to how close the trees are.

I haven't been to it, but I have heard that there is a good place to fly right across Esplanade at Degarmo in an undeveloped housing area. I have seen a plane flying above it once while driving by, but I still haven't checked it out for myself.

If the weather is any good this weekend, I'll let you know if I'm going to head out.
Mar 01, 2012, 02:52 PM
Fight for the Right to FPV!!!

flying in Chico

I've been told that there is a nice flying site across the Esplanade from De Garmo park. supposedly has a place for runway and everything and has a huge flying field. It's a site that they are getting ready to build houses in. I've also flown behind a-main a few times and it's ok but not a lot of room. If you don't need a strip, upper park is great between horseshoe lake and the north rim trail entrance. I've been doing a lot of FPV flights from there lately and have not been flying my regular RC planes much. Degarmo is ok but it's usually crowded, and Marsh was awesome but now they are putting solar and buildings in so that is no longer an option...
I'm always looking for flying buddies in Chico in case anyone's interested !! I fly FPV (3 planes), flying wings (3 wings), Warbirds (3 planes), and sailplanes and hotlines (2 planes). I only have two of my warbirds that prefer a runway so I'm not as limited with regard to flying sites... but I always enjoy company to fly with or a spotter for FPV flights (I''m relatively new to FPV). PM me !! With some creativity and searching i'm sure there are tons more great places to fly around Chico!!
Mar 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
Essayons
I checked out that area across from Degarmo. For what I do, it's not that great. Plenty of unobstructed area, but I need a better runway for landing. I haven't done any FPV, but it is something I'm interested in though. Right now I'm flying a 3DHS 42" Slick (I'm not that good with it, still learning it) and working on getting my Trex 450 and 500 flying. I also have a 55" P-40, but it's a bit too big and fast to fly anywhere but an actual airfield.
Feb 09, 2013, 05:38 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
I realize this thread is seriously old but are you guys still flying at De Garmo? If so what is being flown there, helis and planks? Maybe I will go by there tomorrow see if anyone is there.

Tips
There's an area near NORD and EAST that is great because it was a duplex tract that has stopped construction. It is mowed, has the streets already paved you can take off from and not too many obstacles. Not incredibly large but it might work. If you live near there go to the end of EAST where it meets NORD/HWY 32 and turn left. It is about 1/4 mile down on your left you will see the open area. I have flown helis there without any complaints.
Mar 29, 2013, 10:35 PM
If you can hand launch your plane, a great location is still right across the street from DeGarmo park behind Villa Risa Apartments. It's about a 25 acre field that used to be orchards.

If I had the time I would love to put in a runway but I'm sure people wouldn't be terribly supportive!
Apr 06, 2013, 04:31 PM
Beastcopter Pilot
I'm considering moving to Chico. Any updates to this thread? Here's my hangar:

CZ yak 54
CZ scimitar
Habu 2
E-flite Extra 260 rigged for night flying
F-27Q Stryker
Stinger 64 Mk II
Albatros with sonic combat module
custom profile foamie & UMX version of it (Bad Wolf)
Icon A5 ( Any water areas to fly other than the forebay )?
Yuvi Ornithopter
2x Shogun II Helis
Blade MQX
Blade micro CP heli
650mm Hexacopter with photoship one & DJI wookong M (with GPS click and go from ground station)
Skywalker X-8 FPV
UMX beast 3D
UMX geebee r2
night vapor
UMX p-40

Good lord... do you think I'm an addict? lol.

Anyway, it'd really suck to move somewhere that I can't use all these beautiful planes. Hasn't anybody started a flying club there yet? Maybe there's a high school that'll let us use their track? That's what we do here in Rohnert Park, and what they did in Pacifica.
Apr 07, 2013, 04:42 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
The thread really isn't needed once you begin looking for people to fly with. It takes time but you will build a group of pals. DeGarmo is popular enough you can meet folks there then find even more places. Failing that it's 27 miles to Oroville field the plane guys like to meet for sure on the first Saturday of every month. Ask there where people fly..

P.S. I fly helis which is a smaller group and there's plenty of us here after all. If you want to fly with me send me a PM it may take a day or two but I will see it and reply..
Apr 09, 2013, 10:46 PM
Essayons
I have since moved to Sacramento, and there is no shortage of sites to fly at or people to fly with down here. There is a club with an airstrip in Oroville called the Oroville Air Corps. It's about a 25 to 30 minute drive south. Other than that, it has been a while since I've flown in Chico so I'm not sure if the DeGarmo spot is still open or not. Amainhobbies's warehouse has a small air strip in back, but it's kind of a small area and you should limit your activities to parkflyers.
Aug 05, 2014, 03:56 PM
If you don't mind the star thistle and other unsavory plants, the empty lot on the "corner" of Bruce and 20th works well. It's huge with little to obstruct your view. Hand launches and catches are good. I land my Radian in the weeds with only minor scuffing.
Mar 11, 2015, 12:30 PM
Bringing this back up. Current locations for me have been off Degarmo Park Drive, out past the homes. I test FPV and 2.4 range here as its open and has a decent size lot @ 450yds x 800yds. Nice pull out but no great runway, so Heli's, belly landers or quads work great here. The sun is also to your back.

Then there is the Amain runway. The Chico club (previously at the airport) has been flying there and has done a bunch of work, including adding a crosswind runway and recovering the runways. Ive been removing some of the scrub oak overgrowth but its been hit and miss. Hopefully open it up a bunch more soon.

There are a few of us with 250 size FPV racers now. Ive been practicing in the back yard, but it is a little tight @ 300'x100', but the trees are trimmed well and there are some great obstacles. Definitely hard on props, but it sure is nice to walk a short ways when you are grounded, vs hiking across a fox tail covered field to find your rig. Ive cut a bunch of course markers and am building a few gates so the location can be diversified. Any ideas on spots without a bunch of foot traffic would be appreciated.
Mar 11, 2015, 01:40 PM
Beastcopter Pilot
Thanks. Just moved to Chico. I'm flying:

Carbon-z splendor
Precision Addiction
Carbon-z yak 54 (non ASX version)
MAXX (powered glider)
Stryker f-27Q
3X battle wings
Corsair (roc-hobby racer)

DJI Phantom 2 / Hero 4
DJI S900 / GH4

and a few others...

I'm thinking of starting another thread to see if any Chicoans want to hop on board to try to get AMA to sponsor a field somewhere in upper bidwell... lobby the city, etc. I don't like thistles and ticks, and need a bigger runway than aMain's
Mar 11, 2015, 02:08 PM
Upper bidwell would never happen, and shouldn't. It gets way to much foot traffic and would end up with way to much opposition. Its a natural area and people going there are looking for that experience, not buzzing and flying vehicles. The best site would be north of town but it is mostly if not all private. Oroville has a very good field and is worth looking at. I fly helis there most Sundays, mid day.

By all means don't not try to make it work, just be prepared as you aren't the first. You should meet up with the group that goes to Amain on sat mornings and you may get some more info on what they have tried and/or explored so far.