Nov 18, 2011, 05:50 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Thread OP
Discussion

Interesting Solo Pro? Clone

This looks very similar to a Solo Pro but with an lcd transmitter. Price is $45. If a parts supply catches up with this I might try one.

What do you all think?

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2011, 01:39 AM
ooops
On ebay HopMeUp has the Protomax for $58. At that price why buy a clone?
The Protomax IS a Solo Pro A year ago I bought mine for 50.
Nov 19, 2011, 06:55 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
The TX looks a lot like the Trex100s TX, except with different stick units. Apart from that, the heli itself looks identical to the Solo Pro. Let's just hope it flies better than the Juichon JC0002, that one did also look a lot like the Solo Pro, but performance was nowhere near the original.

Edit: The receiver board also looks a lot like the Trex 100, as well as the charger. Seems like either the company who makes these decided to clone both helis into one, or Align is trying to make some profit from the Trex100 by selling it's design to other companies.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Nov 19, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Nov 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
ooops
That same Vendor has the Solo Pro for $60. Again... why buy the clone?
Nov 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StCalvin
On ebay HopMeUp has the Protomax for $58. At that price why buy a clone?
The Protomax IS a Solo Pro A year ago I bought mine for 50.

Yep, +1 for HopMeUp. I've bought 2 from them over the last couple weeks. Usually get it in 3-4 days.
Nov 19, 2011, 04:46 PM
ooops
Looks like Tower/ Revell is no longer going to do the Proto Max. Now Tower is bringing in the Solo Pro itself.
Nov 19, 2011, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StCalvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by larams
Yep, +1 for HopMeUp. I've bought 2 from them over the last couple weeks. Usually get it in 3-4 days.
Unfortunately they add another $30 to ship to Canada. So typical . . .

I already have 3 Solo Pro's. One flys well, the second just got a new receiver after 50 flights and now flys well, and the third smoked its receiver 2 minutes into the second flight, still waiting for parts. I can get a new Solo Pro for under $60 shipped but I am a bit disappointed in Nine Eagles lately, including the reviews on some of their new releases.

So I thought I would try something new such as the Xieda 9958. And I thought this one looks interesting for something else to fly indoors this looooong winter.
Nov 19, 2011, 09:06 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo

I already have 3 Solo Pro's. One flys well, the second just got a new receiver after 50 flights and now flys well, and the third smoked its receiver 2 minutes into the second flight, still waiting for parts. I can get a new Solo Pro for under $60 shipped but I am a bit disappointed in Nine Eagles lately, including the reviews on some of their new releases.

So I thought I would try something new such as the Xieda 9958. And I thought this one looks interesting for something else to fly indoors this looooong winter.
I 've had a proto max for about 4 months it flew right out of the box, hands off hover unbelievable .It is also very durable. I'd get another one.
Last edited by tonytester; Nov 19, 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Nov 20, 2011, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester
I 've had a proto max for about 4 months it flew right out of the box, hands off hover unbelievable .It is also very durable. I'd get another one.
I hope I didn't come across as a Solo Pro/Proto Max hater - I love these things. They are fast, fun and can withstand some pretty good crashes. But it appears that the more recent batches might have receiver quality issues. Others here have also experienced the same thing. And many of the 'upgrades' available for the Solo Pro are IME so-so at best. I prefer stock with a Solo 210a canopy to eliminate canopy strikes. Of course, YMMV.

The Xieda 9958 intrigues me. Not because it is better quality or a better flier, just because it is similar to my MSR and has some interesting and affordable upgrade paths and tx options. I also have a 328a with modded flybar, am eagerly anticipating the revised Solo Pro 270, and am still hopefull they will get the Solo Pro 318a tail debugged.
Nov 20, 2011, 02:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro
The TX looks a lot like the Trex100s TX, except with different stick units. Apart from that, the heli itself looks identical to the Solo Pro. Let's just hope it flies better than the Juichon JC0002, that one did also look a lot like the Solo Pro, but performance was nowhere near the original.

Edit: The receiver board also looks a lot like the Trex 100, as well as the charger. Seems like either the company who makes these decided to clone both helis into one, or Align is trying to make some profit from the Trex100 by selling it's design to other companies.
OK that is scaring me away now.
Nov 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:

So, that's two receivers. Did you get any kind of warranty support, or did you have to buy them? I can understand having to pay for the one that died after 50 flights, (although for me, that would be twelve days) but two minutes into the second flight?

As to the Xieda, I suggest that you check out the thread, first b4 you buy.

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad57
So, that's two receivers. Did you get any kind of warranty support, or did you have to buy them? I can understand having to pay for the one that died after 50 flights, (although for me, that would be twelve days) but two minutes into the second flight?

As to the Xieda, I suggest that you check out the thread, first b4 you buy.

Nomad
The Solo Pro that died during the 2nd flight was purchased on AliExpress from RC_Hobby_King (not related to HobbyKing_dot_com). I purchased 2 of them but they had different receiver versions. The RX-01 flys great, the RX-06 died (old stock?). They offered me a $4 discount on a replacement Solo Pro.

I follow the Xieda thread closely. What is it about the 9958 that concerns you? It seems like some minor upgrades can make it pretty durable and I never hear about the blade strike problems I get with the Solo Pro on agressive flying. Seems to me it could be a fun addition to my micro fp's, not better, not worse, just different.
Last edited by gordonzo; Nov 20, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: correction
Nov 21, 2011, 02:52 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
I hope I didn't come across as a Solo Pro/Proto Max hater - I love these things. They are fast, fun and can withstand some pretty good crashes. But it appears that the more recent batches might have receiver quality issues. Others here have also experienced the same thing. And many of the 'upgrades' available for the Solo Pro are IME so-so at best. I prefer stock with a Solo 210a canopy to eliminate canopy strikes. Of course, YMMV.

The Xieda 9958 intrigues me. Not because it is better quality or a better flier, just because it is similar to my MSR and has some interesting and affordable upgrade paths and tx options. I also have a 328a with modded flybar, am eagerly anticipating the revised Solo Pro 270, and am still hopefull they will get the Solo Pro 318a tail debugged.
I share your concern about the RX quality of recent batches. I haven't been able to "fry" any RX-06 or early batch RC-01s, but some have fared far worse it seems.

However, this new clone seems to use the Trex100s receiver board, that has been reported to have some issues of it's own, so whether it can hold an advantage over the Solo Pro, I don't know.
Nov 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
Quote:
The Solo Pro that died during the 2nd flight was purchased on AliExpress from RC_Hobby_King (not related to HobbyKing_dot_com). I purchased 2 of them but they had different receiver versions. The RX-01 flys great, the RX-06 died (old stock?). They offered me a $4 discount on a replacement Solo Pro.
$4? Wow...

Goes to show that the HH support really does count for something. HH is still the best, where support is concerned, but my experience with the flying characteristics of my mSR has been so disappointing, that I'm at my wits' end with it.

Quote:
I follow the Xieda thread closely. What is it about the 9958 that concerns you? It seems like some minor upgrades can make it pretty durable and I never hear about the blade strike problems I get with the Solo Pro on aggressive flying. Seems to me it could be a fun addition to my micro fp's, not better, not worse, just different.
Just thought I would mention it, so that you would be aware of the need for the upgrades. Funny that you mention the blade strike problems. I hadn't heard that. Some have suggested that the Solo Pro is pretty crash-worthy.

Regards,

Nomad

Quick Reply