Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 13, 2018, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
I like to do my test glide under power with the throttle cut engaged. That way I can see how it reacts to input
Do you want to say that you actually move the control surfaces while it glides?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2018, 07:03 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
sure,...why not? You can check if they are reversed or acting as they should

I should preface this to say that my first toss is usually just with power and no hands on the stick. I just want to see how it glides with the servos holding the control surfaces as I set them. Afterwards I'll give it a toss and see how it reacts to input. As I said it gives me the opportunity to see if I screwed up and have any reversed
Sep 14, 2018, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
sure,...why not? You can check if they are reversed or acting as they should

I should preface this to say that my first toss is usually just with power and no hands on the stick. I just want to see how it glides with the servos holding the control surfaces as I set them. Afterwards I'll give it a toss and see how it reacts to input. As I said it gives me the opportunity to see if I screwed up and have any reversed
I was asking to get a clear idea of the process . Next time I attempt flying the plane I will start with glide tests so that I can see if there are any problems, before I try to actually take off and fly.
Sep 23, 2018, 01:53 PM
Following up on the issue, I can say progress has been made .

The solution was to set the Dual Rate to 75% and the Expo to 40 (percent, I guess?) on both the Elevator and the Rudder. Then came the throw test with the Throttle Cut activated. The plane glides well, doesn't nose dive and is responsive to Rudder or Elevator movement.

I still cannot control it more than 5 seconds or so, as at some point it goes either left or right and starts descending (as if it begins a spiraling movement), but I guess that's because I'm a beginner.
Sep 23, 2018, 02:57 PM
RC Adddict
Good to hear your makin progress. How much dihedral do you have in the wing ? You should be able to release the rudder and have it level out with UC wing and dihedral. Any pics for us ?
Sep 24, 2018, 07:10 AM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-one
Following up on the issue, I can say progress has been made .

The solution was to set the Dual Rate to 75% and the Expo to 40 (percent, I guess?) on both the Elevator and the Rudder. Then came the throw test with the Throttle Cut activated. The plane glides well, doesn't nose dive and is responsive to Rudder or Elevator movement.

I still cannot control it more than 5 seconds or so, as at some point it goes either left or right and starts descending (as if it begins a spiraling movement), but I guess that's because I'm a beginner.
Can you provide some video of this occurring?
Sep 25, 2018, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor
Good to hear your makin progress. How much dihedral do you have in the wing ? You should be able to release the rudder and have it level out with UC wing and dihedral. Any pics for us ?
Of course! The dihedral is about 5.5cm (or 2.16 inches) at the tip of each wing tip (the wing_dihedral.jpg attachment shows it). I also posted a picture showing the profile that the wing has (wing_side.jpg). Is there anything wrong with any of those?

Blue
Last edited by blue-one; Sep 25, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
Sep 25, 2018, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W
Can you provide some video of this occurring?
Sure! I posted an archive containing a bunch of videos. The spiraling motion I was talking about can be seen quite well in many of the videos, especially in throw_thrust_3_small.mp4 after about 3 seconds.

Blue
Sep 25, 2018, 09:28 AM
Jim
Seems to me there is a lack of power. Not staying airborne long enough to evaluate!

Pulling back on the stick to climb will result in a stall if underpowered (which I know you already know this). You can overcome the stall with power and gain enough altitude to eval and or trim. JMO
Last edited by Jim_W; Sep 25, 2018 at 09:34 AM.
Sep 25, 2018, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Seems to me there is a lack of power. Not staying airborne long enough to evaluate!

Pulling back on the stick to climb will result in a stall if underpowered (which I know you already know this). You can overcome the stall with power and gain enough altitude to eval and or trim. JMO
You are right! Most of the crashes follow after I cut the throttle. I do that because I notice that the plane goes on a bad trajectory. So I find it better to simply cut the power. Other than that, do you see anything wrong? I will try to post the first crash as well (the one that happened 2 weeks or so ago, which started this talk about my plane going crazy ).

Blue
Sep 25, 2018, 01:24 PM
Jim
From what I can see, the build looks good. I'm guessing you've already checked for twists/warps in the wing? My next attempt would be to throttle up, launch into wind, keep it flying long enough to gain some altitude, then throttle back a bit and see what corrections are needed to keep it airborne.

Meanwhile, I'll go back and watch the videos again.
Sep 25, 2018, 01:34 PM
Jim
Just for shitz and giggles, add another rubber band or two to the wings. Also, is that duct tape all over the tail assembly?
Sep 25, 2018, 02:01 PM
Quote:
From what I can see, the build looks good. I'm guessing you've already checked for twists/warps in the wing? My next attempt would be to throttle up, launch into wind, keep it flying long enough to gain some altitude, then throttle back a bit and see what corrections are needed to keep it airborne.

Meanwhile, I'll go back and watch the videos again.
Thank you very much for the effort! I did check for twists/wraps and the wing looks good. The purpose of flying it at high altitudes and correcting its flight would be to notice any possible tendencies of it behaving badly so as to get an idea of what the cause might be?
Sep 25, 2018, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Just for shitz and giggles, add another rubber band or two to the wings. Also, is that duct tape all over the tail assembly?
I will definitely add more rubber bands or at least some thicker ones . Yes, I covered the attack surfaces of the wings in duct tape, because I thought that in case of an impact, those would get damaged first.
Sep 25, 2018, 02:35 PM
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-one
I will definitely add more rubber bands or at least some thicker ones . Yes, I covered the attack surfaces of the wings in duct tape, because I thought that in case of an impact, those would get damaged first.

Use packaging tape. It's plenty strong and a lot lighter! The rubber bands will prevent the wing from springing away from the fuse!

Quick Reply