Jan 19, 2015, 09:55 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Here it is so far.

Made the rudder a bit fatter and simplified a bit from the plans. Also left the two sections of 20" foam wings intact for a bit more wing.

Although I have the control rods installed, am waiting on motor and electronics before finishing.

Does having the rudder cut at an angle help to keep the plane more level when turning?

How well will the paper control surface hinges hold up?

The weight so far is 200 grams.
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2015, 06:31 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Paper hinges tend to need some service after a short time. One tip that I have seen with the Flite Test group is to open up the hinge by folding back the control surface and shooting hot glue into the corner and then wipe it as clean as possible with a piece of scrap. This more solidly adheres the paper to the foam and remains flexible.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Jan 21, 2015, 12:24 PM
I got it ready to go. Came out heavier than expected at 485 grams, ready to fly. Wing loading is 8oz/sq foot. Built it without landing gear as our field doesn't have any mowed area. Also no paint yet.
Has a Turnigy 2210 motor and a 1300 2s battery.
Jan 22, 2015, 06:32 AM
Ken's CAD Models
I just refound the video I was looking for from the Flite Test guys on the hinge gluing with foamboard.

Ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...layer_embedded
Jan 22, 2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks Ken,
A lot of good ideas. May get a chance to make the initial flight today. Light winds.
Jan 22, 2015, 05:06 PM

Maiden flight Oshkosh 40 sport

Oshkosh 40 Sport foamie flight (1 min 57 sec)

Thanks a lot for the plans. Really has lots of climb and nice cruise.
Jan 22, 2015, 09:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Congratulations on the successful maiden.

Ken
Jan 22, 2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks Ken.
I was impressed with how well it was trimmed out and the flat angle of attack it flew at. At first at higher throttle I gave it a little elevator to make sure it was not going to go in and it went almost straight up only leveling when I gave it down elevator.

I have to polish the rust off my skill set before I can use all this plane has.
Jan 24, 2015, 06:39 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Oshkosh Sport at 150%

At the request of Basicguy, here is the tiled letter plan at 150%.

Ken
Jan 24, 2015, 07:22 PM
Thanks Ken, Will build it, will fly it.
Jan 24, 2015, 07:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Thanks Ken, Will build it, will fly it.
Looking forward to your progress.

Ken
Jan 25, 2015, 11:08 PM
I built the body, tail and put in the servos.

It actually came out at about 1.2x from the 40 size, both printed from the same computer and printer. When I got laying out the the body, it came about 30" long which means that I won't have to splice the dollar tree foam. Might be a better size for my 205 watt motor too. My "40" flew with a 180 watt, and only needed about 1/2 throttle to cruise.

I plan on using the armin type of wing and may try a kf airfoil. I guess the KF works but goes against my grain a bit.
Jan 26, 2015, 06:56 AM
Ken's CAD Models
For that size of wing the Armin is certainly a better choice over the KF.

Ken
Jan 26, 2015, 10:43 PM
Got the superscale Oshkosh Sport built.

I ended up cutting down the body a bit, still is generous. The main wing scaled to a 9.5" chord and a 47.5 " span. I built it with a 1.2" thickness and left the span to 60". It took an entire sheet of dollar tree foam for each wing panel.

One thing I am trying is a coroplast firewall assembly. I used an 8" scrap of it and folded it back on each side.

The wind is predicted to lay down on Wednesday. Will fly then.
Jan 28, 2015, 04:51 PM
I have my second Oshkosh ready. This one came out with a 30" fuselage and a bit oversized on the wing span at 60"

Both are set up with Rudder, Elevator and Throttle.
Wind has been 15-20 all day.

Quick Reply