Nov 21, 2011, 07:40 PM
Gravity gets me down.
Ken, have a question regarding dihedral. I looked back through the Oshkosh Special thread and only found one place where it provided some measurements.

Something like the wing tips are 2 1/4(think this was best) to 2 1/2 inches higher than the center of the wing.

Is this the recommendation for the sport? I am assuming so, but was nt real sure I had the numbers correct?

Thanks, will hold off bending dowels for a bit.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Bob,
I have indicated on the plans 2.25" - 3" per tip. The lower end of the range makes it more docile, while the higher end is more lively.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Nov 22, 2011, 07:01 AM
Gravity gets me down.
Thanks, did not look at plans since I got kits from you. Sorry about that.
Dec 12, 2011, 04:54 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
I'm going to start building the oshkosh sport for my brother-in-law, so he can have a cool plane to learn with. Looking at the design, I may build the a KFC (under-camber with step on the bottom) wing for the plane. I've never had luck with a normal under-camber wing, but I've had luck with the KFC wing (seems to handle the wind a lot better). I do have a question on contruction, I've noticed this plane has an inner structure, do I build this first then put on the outer layers (I'm building the non-folding version), or do I build each half and join them? From looking at the plans it seems the former is the way to go. Also, are there any other non-obvious building steps? I've already built a number of other foamies (including your designs, Ken), so I think this will be an awesome plane.

Thanks again for your work and your willingness to share your designes.

-Heath
Dec 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Heath,

The process is to build up the inner structure with the landing gear and outer nose wrap. Then build the rear outer structure(fuselage sides, top, bottom, and bulkhead), then bring the two together. Makes for a very straight structure.

Ken
Dec 15, 2011, 05:33 PM

New to rc

SgTalon recommended I try the Oshkosh Special prior to attempting to fly one of his models. Do you sell the pre-cut foam, and how does one order it? He said go with the larger size so that the hardware could be mOved over to the Voyage or Enterprise.

Thanks,
Eric
Dec 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Hi Eric,

I cut kits on demand. They are CNC cut foam parts, wings have airfoil baked in, and prebent landing gear wires. The kit is $25 plus $7 shipping. PM me with your zip code and we can take care of the payment details.

Also this is the Oshkosh Sport. The Oshkosh Special is here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1040899
Same price for either one.

Ken
Jan 03, 2012, 03:19 PM
So, after talking to my brother-in-law he mentioned that he wanted something a bit more sportier. I have most of the parts cut out for this (minus the wing), and was wondering if I converted this to a mid-wing plane, could I just keep the proportions the same (i.e. wing area to rudder and stabalizer)? I'm thinking of doing a mid wing using a symmetrical version of the armin wing.

-Heath
Jan 03, 2012, 04:43 PM
RC Adddict
Heath did you see the wing FreddieB posted in the combat thread ? Another nice option for a Symmetrical wing . Here's the post
Jan 03, 2012, 06:11 PM
Wilfor,
I did see that post, and I may do that, as the armin wing seems to be just a flat bottomed airfoil. I also may increase the thickness of the wing so that it slows it down just a bit (my brother in law is still pretty new to R/C).

-Heath
Jan 03, 2012, 07:24 PM
AKA Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_thumbs
So, after talking to my brother-in-law he mentioned that he wanted something a bit more sportier. I have most of the parts cut out for this (minus the wing), and was wondering if I converted this to a mid-wing plane, could I just keep the proportions the same (i.e. wing area to rudder and stabalizer)? I'm thinking of doing a mid wing using a symmetrical version of the armin wing.

-Heath
Oskosh Sport is designed for that! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1541228
May 25, 2012, 01:27 AM

Question for begginer flyer

I am a total Beginner and would like to thank you for all the hard work you have done. I built the 40 UC version and it flys great. Unfortunately this wasn't my first attempt at building a model. But this was my first success. You have answered many questions that I had because others asked first. thanks for all the work and replys.

Now for the question.
I am wanting to eventually learn acrobatic type flying and was wandering if the sport version with the kfm3 would be a good next step after having learned with the osh kosh special? If not would you have other recommendations?
May 25, 2012, 07:17 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Bobdaone,
In answer to your question, Yes! Use the KFm3 wing design in the Oshkosh Special 40 plans posting.

Ken
Jun 01, 2012, 01:12 AM

Just started the wing

I just started working on the wing. I will try to start to put together one of these sports to use it on as I have time. I could convert the special I have but would rather practice with that while building this one. I have a question regarding prop size. I am using a motor that was recommended for the blu baby 42 inch on the osh kosh special and just ordered another for the sport.
The FC 28-22 1200 kv. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354
Right now I have a 10x5 prop on it with a 1200 mah 2s. The question is would it be better to use a 9x5 with a 3s battery with the kkfm3 wing, or stick with the 10x5 prop and a 2s battery?

Thanks again for the help
---Craig------
Jun 15, 2012, 03:28 PM

Pictures and maidens

well I finished my osh kosh sport to the plans and was wanting to try some different wings I read about on the blu baby thread. The kfm3p and the armin wing that is talked about in the scratchbuild university. I made this plane to be able to learn ailerons and so I made the kfm3 wing from the plans provided.

I have been unsuccessful in flying the ailerons so far, The plane keeps turning left and when I try to correct it seems to get worse and stall. This happens as soon as I throw the plane( I do not have the landing gear on the plane). I have the plane balanced at a 3.25" CG because ailerons was the purpose of this plane. The wing I made I used two servos and programmed in a differential in my controller(as per the blu baby thread) I patiently waited for a windless day and finally got to try this new build(My second plane but, I don't know if the 2 destroyed osh kosh specials count) well after three failed attempts( and a rather major break and fix) with the kfm3 ailerons, I decided to try the other wings.

I didn't change the cg and left it balanced for the aileron wing. As I was getting a little restless and frustrated with this plane I decided to be impatient and try these two wings in a wind I had attempted with the uc wing on the special but found out the wings couldn't take the speed to stay up(They started fluttering) about 12 mph according to weather.com. well I managed to successfully fly these two wings without a crash in the wind. These two wings flew so I know the plane is capable of flying. The armin wing was really twitchy I guess. I could barely control the thing and it was like a rocket. The kfm3p had similar issues but I was able to trim it and have a somewhat fun 5min flight in really strong wind. I decided to end the flight as the plane started to hover( like the wind blowing it hard enough not to move it) and brought it down safely(I never said I was smart). but this is the strongest wind I have flown in to date without hitting a fence. Umm ended my streak of 16 crash free flights in a row.

Ending on a good note. I have now flown my osh kosh special a record 20 times in a row without breaking anything on it. I would say I am getting pretty good with that UC Wing.

Well sorry for rambling I attached some pictures of the wings, the sport, and my special. I did decide to add a skewer to the horizontal stabilizer because the one on my special seemed flimsy. I made no other deviations other than wings and hardware(Like different motor and esc and battery), from the plans posted.

Quick Reply