Jan 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Slopeaholic
Uk. Over the pond.

No wind? Don't complain, all that fabulous winter sun you have over in So Cal... While we suffer wind rain and snow.

I fly at a number of slopes (see my blog) for last weeks lovely day out with my 4.2m scalie. Ill be flying the pro at the same site.

Once my servos arrive I'll crack on. It should look shiny, it's a new kit! Always wanted an alpina.

I take it you like yours.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2012, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=jimbo320;20413358]Uk. Over the pond. Pond what pond? You mean the Atlantic? lol

No wind? Don't complain, all that fabulous winter sun you have over in So Cal... While we suffer wind rain and snow. Oh yeah, uh, sorry.

I fly at a number of slopes (see my blog) for last weeks lovely day out with my 4.2m scalie. Ill be flying the pro at the same site. Sweet!

Once my servos arrive I'll crack on. It should look shiny, it's a new kit! Always wanted an alpina.

I take it you like yours. Love it!![/QUOTE]

see above in red
Jan 16, 2012, 04:37 AM
Slopeaholic
Bits arrived today for the the kit out. 5x nice new digitals, the hs85s and std futaba i already have.
I just need to get some syringes for measuring the epoxy this am and i can make a start.
As you can see the 5245s are a very snug fit and i doubt any epoxy will be required! (although i may add some just in case)
Jan 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
-----
You really should join Twitter.
Jan 16, 2012, 08:41 AM
Deniable plausibility
Personally, I'd like him to tell me which numbers I should play on the lottery...
Jan 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320
Bits arrived today for the the kit out. 5x nice new digitals, the hs85s and std futaba i already have.
I just need to get some syringes for measuring the epoxy this am and i can make a start.
As you can see the 5245s are a very snug fit and i doubt any epoxy will be required! (although i may add some just in case)

We need photos of the syringes.

Jan 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton Bank
We need photos of the syringes.

. Nooooooo !
Jan 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
Biting ankles since '53
So, this Alpina… is it moulded?
Jan 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
-----
Fully, mate.
Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
Phil.T-tailer
c'mon guys - just let him get stuck into this
Phil.
Jan 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Slopeaholic
No to answer your question, its foam over obechi with a carbon dbox.

The fuselage is glass fibre with carbon reinforcements.

Quite old technology. But a flyer I hear. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I Installed the compression struts today and added some additional carbon reinforcement around high stress areas. Install the servo tray tommorrow and complete the fuse wiring.
Jan 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320
No to answer your question, its foam over obechi with a carbon dbox.

The fuselage is glass fibre with carbon reinforcements.

Quite old technology. But a flyer I hear. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I Installed the compression struts today and added some additional carbon reinforcement around high stress areas. Install the servo tray tommorrow and complete the fuse wiring.
Mine's obechi over foam. Does this matter?
Jan 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Slopeaholic
Doh, typo there DP.
I just checked my cure. The carbon on the comp struts has given it a bit of additional stiffness. I added a carbon loop over the front wing area, I will add some more carbon down the fuse from the comp strut to give some additional longitutinal stiffness and energy absorbing abilities in front of the wing. I may add a half 1/4 inch ply former under the servo tray, and epoxied to the carbon, to give some bulkhead strength. I would prefer a full former but that would limit access to the MPX wing connectors.
Jan 17, 2012, 04:47 AM
Oooooh, this is so me Jimbo. Pasting bits of carbon here and there cos it makes me feel better!

I admire you trying to improve the fus but actually I've found it's near perfect as designed. Those clever chaps at Multiplex/Tangent really do know their stuff.

Sticking in extra bits of wood/carbon/whatever to make it locally stronger just creates new stress-risers either side, adds weight, reduces rx reception, costs money, delays flying. If you enjoy this then good, but it's honestly not essential. The Alpina is a well sorted model out the box and fan-blummin-tastic in the air.

Rog
Jan 17, 2012, 04:56 AM
Slopeaholic
Thanks Rog, I know what you're saying and to a certain extent I do agree with you.
My modifications are pretty minor tbh. Just beefing up the areas around the bulkhead and compression strut area. Having had a baby alpina (acrostar) with an almost identical fuz/wing/tail/kit out, the main weakness was around the bulkhead area. I really just trying to strengthen an area around the bulkhead that from experience I've learned wasn't up to the job.
Anyway I take your point. Thx.

Quick Reply