Thread Tools
Nov 17, 2011, 07:40 AM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Thread OP
Cool

Multiplex Alpina 4001 Master Edition Sloping


Multiplex Alpina slermalling off Devonport, Tasmania.
Florian at the sticks. The GoPro didn't seem to have much of an effect on this big beastie.

I've since made 2 aero shrouds from blue foam that make a bit of a difference however, although not used here.

Good day. Spring sunshine, no crashes and plenty of airtime for everybody.

alpina.wmv (12 min 2 sec)


Chris.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2011, 11:41 AM
Slopeaholic
jimbo320's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
Multiplex Alpina slermalling off Devonport, Tasmania.
Florian at the sticks. The GoPro didn't seem to have much of an effect on this big beastie.

I've since made 2 aero shrouds from blue foam that make a bit of a difference however, although not used here.

Good day. Spring sunshine, no crashes and plenty of airtime for everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBEobFljug

Chris.
Fantastic vid. Lucky you have all summer long.. With that alpina you need to do an aeros video. They go well. Without tje inboard gopro of course

J.
Nov 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
Charlie
daedaluscan's Avatar
What a gorgeous slope site. And I sure miss my Alpina.
Nov 17, 2011, 10:13 PM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Thread OP
What's BC like for big slopes? Where's your Alpina now?
Nov 18, 2011, 02:09 AM
Registered User
The Don never looked better. Nice vid.
Nov 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
Registered User

Envy, Envy....


Congratulations on a fine video!

Having, only yesterday, dug out my, as yet unfinished, Alpina 4001 (Elektro), after several years in cold storage, as I have been terrified to finish it, due to its unexpectedly high AUW, I open the "Slope" section to find your 4001!

Really, it seems very, very stable and graceful and not excessively fast. My old Alpina Magic weighed almost two kgs less and was a most enjoyable beast to fly.
May I ask what your AUW is?
How much flap/flaperon (crow) do you apply on landing?
How much elevator compensation for crow?
Did you glass the wings or are they film-covered?
Do you know of any cheap flights, Pamplona/Tasmania?

Cheers,

Christopher (from the other end of the globe)
Nov 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Drill a long hole...


I have just realised that if I were to drill a (slightly) long hole, perpendicular to my favorite slope, it would emerge (the hole) at Hobart, Tasmania. Perhaps you could slip me a couple of acres of your l.z.

Come on, Dr. F., how about your a.u.w. etc.??? Please
Cheers,

Christopher
Nov 19, 2011, 03:00 PM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Thread OP
Hi Christopher,
It's Florian's Aplina; I'll see if I can sheperd him over here. I reckon the covering is Oracover (or similar).

As for Alpina Electros I test flew a 2.5m version for a mate and it was rather
dramatic; a very heavily loaded beast. Yours will be fine though I reckon.
Nov 25, 2011, 02:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by doddlepots
Congratulations on a fine video!

Having, only yesterday, dug out my, as yet unfinished, Alpina 4001 (Elektro), after several years in cold storage, as I have been terrified to finish it, due to its unexpectedly high AUW, I open the "Slope" section to find your 4001!

Really, it seems very, very stable and graceful and not excessively fast. My old Alpina Magic weighed almost two kgs less and was a most enjoyable beast to fly.
May I ask what your AUW is?
How much flap/flaperon (crow) do you apply on landing?
How much elevator compensation for crow?
Did you glass the wings or are they film-covered?
Do you know of any cheap flights, Pamplona/Tasmania?

Cheers,

Christopher (from the other end of the globe)
Bump!

żAny thoughts from Florian??
Nov 27, 2011, 04:00 AM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Thread OP

Alpina at Stanley


Something to whet your appetite; Florian wringing the Alpina out at Stanley Slopefest 2011. Part of a chunk of video taken from the event.

re: Florian's input
Apologies; I clean forgot to mention this thread to him. Will remedy asap.

http://www.seat.org.au
Nov 27, 2011, 06:43 PM
Slopeaholic
jimbo320's Avatar
What do you think of the alpina 4001 pro for slope?
Thx.
J.
Nov 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
Charlie
daedaluscan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
What's BC like for big slopes? Where's your Alpina now?
I really haven-t found any big slopes here. We have lots of slopes but lots of trees too! I lived in the French Alps fpr six years and was spoiled. I sold my Alpina when I left, and all my planes and gear foolishly thinking I could give up flying.

Slowly buying it all back!
Nov 29, 2011, 02:37 AM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Thread OP
Jimbo,

The Alpina is awesome on the slope. Big slopes of course, wth plentiful landing area. It's 4.3Kg and 4m so pick your sites carefully and you'll be fine.

Pindrops from 1000ft and beat-ups along the slope make jaws drop.

Chris.
Nov 30, 2011, 04:40 AM
Registered User
Any news from Florian, particularly on the AUW and elevator compensation, with CROW. I am, at last moving ahead with my 4001 E and need a few shots of confidence, particlarily re the above. The way things are going I am going to top 5 kgs auw and am panic stricken re the "el comp" as my l.z's are very small and no room for errors and, whilst "tests" at altitude are fine (and standard procedure), my (69) years do not make it easier to make adjustments whilst in flight and if you have to LAND to adjust, and the mix you programmed in initially was way out, how do you land, in one piece, that is, without a football field on hand?

Sorry to be a proverbial p.i.t.a.

Cheers,

Christopher
Dec 05, 2011, 02:27 AM
I do this for fun!
Hi doddlepots,

if you search Youtube there are some nice vids of E-Alpinas and they certainly have great brakes and don't look like lead sleds.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Alpina 4001 electro master edition hendrix Electric Sailplanes 56 Feb 16, 2018 07:51 AM
Sold Multiplex ALPINA CARBON MASTER EDITION Rain Maker Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 54 Nov 15, 2013 12:29 AM
Sold Alpina 4001 Carbon Master Edition kit NIB XB-70 Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 0 Apr 06, 2009 05:48 PM
Sold Multiplex/Tangent Alpina Pro 4001 Carbon Master Edition sekollera Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Aug 30, 2007 08:51 AM
For Sale Multiplex Alpina 4001 Carbon Master Edition NIB Mark Miller Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 4 Aug 09, 2006 10:31 AM