Nov 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sarge
Thread OP
Discussion

Easy Glider VS Easy Glider Pro (what's different?)

Hi, (beginner here).
I own an Easy Glider electric with brushed motor. I've had it for a few years and just now getting around to building it. I'm looking for a few parts and all I can find is references to Easy Glider Pro. What's the difference? I'm looking to replace the brushed motor with a brushless motor. Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark in Colorado
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2011, 08:33 PM
eflyguy
Flaps. I'm an idiot.. sorry..
..a
Last edited by Andy W; Nov 17, 2011 at 06:56 AM.
Nov 17, 2011, 03:00 AM
I have both, although the Pro is still in the box. The big difference is the original is a geared inrunner setup, while the pro has a substantially redesigned nose for outrunners. I'm pretty sure neither has flaps - Andy W might be thinking Radian Pro

While you can convert the original to brushless outrunner, it requires surgery on the nose.

What I did was find a brushless inrunner comparable in size & weight to the S400, and put it in the original gearbox. While it is more efficient and puts out a bit more power than the S400, there's not much point in going overboard with the original gearbox because it has limited power handling capability.

I use a Keda KB20-40L-17L, about $15 from Hobby King. Fits the original gearbox perfectly, and uses the original 2.3mm bore pinion. Kv is 3400 and from memory with the standard prop it uses about 110W from a Turnigy 2S 2200 pack which slides into the battery recess perfectly. Power sounds low doesn't it! But gliders have very low drag and it climbs out fine, just not like a hot outrunner EGPro.

Last weekend I flew for about 30 minutes in marginal lift with probably 8 climbs. Went out again on the same battery as it was still at over 3.8V/cell for another 20 minutes, again very little lift anywhere.

I'm happy to recommend it rather than cutting up the nose.
Last edited by scirocco; Nov 17, 2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: added link
Nov 17, 2011, 03:07 AM
Who said Kiwi's can't fly!
I have a easyglider , I was sceptical about a foam sailplane , but I love it, its fitted with a KDA 22-20L brushless.. will climb out very steep and will get to around 500 feet in roughly 12 to 15 seconds and do that quite a few times on a single charge from the 1800 lipo. Ditch the brushed motor !
Mines modded with flaps ( easy to do) but I dont use them , there not that great....
I fly it more than my woodies, mainly because it has ailerons and is a bit more agile, it flies a bit faster to so seems a bit more sporty..

Grant.
Last edited by Grunta5; Nov 17, 2011 at 03:23 AM.
Nov 17, 2011, 06:57 AM
eflyguy
(slaps head)

Yeah, was thinking Radian.

I actually added flaps to my EZG but didn't like how it flew (even before flaps)..
..a
Nov 17, 2011, 09:05 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
I installed a narrow outrunner in the nose of my EZG - opened up the inside a little bit and glued on a firewall - worked great for years.

Glen
Nov 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
I also have an original MPX Easyglider, that I converted to brushless, by using a suitable inrunner that bolts into the original gearbox, after the original brass pinion gear removed from the stock brushed motor and pressed onto the brushless motor shaft. As already mentioned, you need an inrunner of up to 28mm with a 2.3mm Diameter shaft. The motor I settled on is of 3100kv powered by 2S 2200mah swinging Graupner CAM 10x8 folder, with this combination, there is plenty speed and rapid climb outs with this clean and light airframe, and the glider is fully aerobatic to boot.
Nov 17, 2011, 08:42 PM
Sarge
Thread OP
Thanks very much for the advice and parts references. I'm definitely on my way now. You guys make this the best web site for RC. Thanks again.

Quick Reply