Jul 06, 2012, 08:55 AM
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig
Thats a good idea but I would think that it is such a large cork it would effect the air flow to a degree.

Or you could cover the boom inside a section of silicon tubeing or a couple of layers of heat shrink over the boom.
It hasn't affected the flight characteristics as far as I can tell

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2012, 12:10 PM
Steve

Tx comparisons

I'd be interested in anyone's opinions about the :
TH9X
Fut 6EX
DX6i

Helis I have:
V911
DH 9116
Hausler 450 v2
Jul 06, 2012, 12:44 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by sllee51
I'd be interested in anyone's opinions about the :
TH9X
Fut 6EX
DX6i

Helis I have:
V911
DH 9116
Hausler 450 v2
I have a DX6i and older model Futaba 6EX. They are comparable in almost all respects as far as programming and ease of use are concerned. Removing old models from the DX6i is a pain in the ass, otherwise the are no major issues. Futaba FASST is the best and most reliable 2.4 ghz protocol. Receivers for either aren't cheap, but you can find orange clone DSM2 receivers for the DX6i for under $20. I'm using two with no complaints. There are no helis that come with Futaba receivers. All Blade helis will work with a DX6i.

If I could pick a radio system based entirely on quality and reliability, without regard to cost, it would be Futaba, Airtronics, JR and Spectrum (in that order).
Last edited by Balr14; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Jul 06, 2012, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdigiovabc
The screw is 7.5mm in length (0.300") and is very fine thread but I don't know the thread size.
Can anyone else provide any more information on this screw? I took my heli to the local electronics and hardware stores looking for a match and haven't found anything remotely a match. I even ventured to an eye glass place. The nearest RC shop is some distance away and doesn't stock DH models so I'd at least like to call ahead to see if they have the screw before driving over. Until then I'm grounded but in the mean time I'm taking advantage of my grounded time to rig up a quick change system for my batteries based on this set up: . I even got my first 900 mAH LiPo battery as a birthday gift. The under carriage rig is built on needing to have the extra space for the new battery. However I found that the battery doesn't have the proper connectors. Can I change these connectors or am I out of luck on this battery? It's my first venture in to RC land and I'm trying not to sink hundreds of dollars into it right off the bat.
Name: photo (1).jpg
Views: 60
Size: 171.7 KB
Description:

Name: photo (3).jpg
Views: 51
Size: 152.3 KB
Description:

Long term I know I'll need a non-OEM charger and I'm looking at something like this. In the short-term I'm hoping I can get by with the OEM for a while so I can make sure this is going to be a long term hobby before investing too much money. So far it's been a thrilling, mentally stimulating, if not challenging ride thus far. I think once I settle my missing screw dilemma and get my spare battery situation under control I'll probably be very satisfied and well on my way to improving my skill and growing my fleet.

For anyone who wants to see my quick change battery set up it is here below. I'm using industrial strength velcro with the hook side affixed to the fuselage between where the skids attach and the loop side affixed to the battery(ies) themselves. This lets me adjust the front/back and left/right positioning of the battery to adjust balance. And since I don't fully trust velcro I'm using a cable strap to loop around and secure the battery to the frame so the weight of the battery doesn't unfasten the velcro and cause a power loss if the battery should fall from the helicopter.

Name: photo.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 150.4 KB
Description:

Edit: apologies if I'm retreading old ground I'm reading the forum from start to current and got up to pg 90 without finding anything about my particular predicament.
Last edited by mdweaver7485; Jul 06, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Update
Jul 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Crash and learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdweaver7485
Can anyone else provide any more information on this screw?
Check the screws in your transmitter and battery charger. You may get lucky.

And you could try just setting the controls to make the mainshaft lift up until liftoff.

Duct tape may work. That collar is not all that important once airborne.

Enamel nail polish is what I use for fixing things like that instead of superglue. Don't get any in the bearings though.
Last edited by Ribble; Jul 06, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Jul 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun

DH9116 Vibration

I'm seeing some unusual vibrations. I did have a bend near the tip and was able to bend it back to about 98% of normal. I took the balance bar off and spun it up. It still seems to be vibrating visibly. When I hold the main shaft and wiggle I don't get any side-to-side motion, but I do get the tiniest front-to-back motion. I don't think this video shows it well and it was tricky to film holding the camera and controls all at once.

Double Horse 9116 (0 min 19 sec)

I'm not sure what to look at for this one. I already tried replacing the main blades with a new set.
Jul 06, 2012, 05:26 PM
I will get you more info on the screw. I will see if I can get my hands on some and if I do I will send it to you. In the meantime, you may be able to put a pin through (in place of the screw) and put a little dab of shoe goo on both ends so that the pin does not come out.
Jul 06, 2012, 06:38 PM
i have of this camara and i think the resolution is no really good, i don't know if i have to setup it and how?
Jul 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce
Yes, it will.

I mounted a cheap self contained video camera specifically made for mounting on rc aircraft from ebay like this on my 9116 (4gb version, with mounting frame)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4GB-Fly-D...item3a71cac529

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvFg...aPEn-OwoL16iI=

The full version is much better, as I had to reduce the quality and resolution so I could upload it onto youtube.
i have one of this camara but i think the resolution is really poor or something wrong, problably i need to setup it or if i do, how?
Jul 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless
I'm seeing some unusual vibrations. I did have a bend near the tip and was able to bend it back to about 98% of normal. I took the balance bar off and spun it up. It still seems to be vibrating visibly. When I hold the main shaft and wiggle I don't get any side-to-side motion, but I do get the tiniest front-to-back motion. I don't think this video shows it well and it was tricky to film holding the camera and controls all at once.

http://youtu.be/zF22qqgswUA

I'm not sure what to look at for this one. I already tried replacing the main blades with a new set.
It looks like the ground effect is upsetting it in the vid, so it isn't showing the vibration properly. Get it off the ground about 2 metres up and if it still vibrates, you could have a bent shaft.
Jul 06, 2012, 07:01 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by opal226
i have one of this camara but i think the resolution is really poor or something wrong, problably i need to setup it or if i do, how?
yeah the res is pretty bad on this one. try a #808 keychain vid camera, either in 720p or 1020p HD res.
Jul 06, 2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Can anyone else provide any more information on this screw?
You can probably find it in one of the parts packs. Not sure if banggood has the screw kit for 9116 anymore.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/9116/ind...0-0_page1.html
Jul 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce
Get it off the ground about 2 metres up and if it still vibrates, you could have a bent shaft.
Yeah, it's hard to see but it's actually more than normal even that low. Maybe I'll try it at my studio where one of my band mates can film it. Thanks!
Jul 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Can anyone else provide any more information on this screw? I took my heli to the local electronics and hardware stores looking for a match and haven't found anything remotely a match.
Based on the diameter that I measured for my screw, this appears to be a M2x7.5mm but you should be able to use an M2x8mm as well.

http://www.laptopscrews.com/M2x8.htm

The above site has 15 of them for US$1.76 but it's going to cost you $5 to ship to USA (assuming you are in USA).

Your better option is to buy the part from Banggood as indicated by rexless in post #2877 but you will have to wait.

You could go to a computer repair shop and ask for the size that I mentioned above and that should be your cheapest and fastest way to get a replacement screw.

If you are not able to get screw in a decent timeframe, let me know and I can send you my spare one (from my 2nd 9116).

I see that you have velcro mounted your battery underneath the skid. Have you tried adjusting the swash with the battery set so far back from the original position? I believe that you indicated that you are making this mod while you wait for a screw so I'm not sure if you have been able to mechanically change the trim due to the new position of the battery.

I have mine velcro mounted but I had to mount my batteries directly under the original position which means they are mounted on the canopy. I had it mounted this way so that I did not have to re-trim my heli since the CG was virtually in the same place. This worked well except that it placed too much stress on the stock canopy stems so I tried doing what you have indicated (i.e. mount the battery underneath the skid) but I could not adjust my servo linkages - needed longer linkages.

I then went back to mounting the battery underneath the canopy and at the same time I replaced the stock canopy stems with these. These are much stronger than the stock ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280881270073...84.m1497.l2649

I had to modify the canopy stems because the mounting holes are wider apart on the DH 9053 and I used the stock canopy stems to determine where to drill the new holes in the 9053 canopy stems. I had to also trim the ribbing on the 9053 canopy stems so that the screws can clear the canopy stems.

I have attached some photos of how I have mounted my external battery and one thing you will notice is that the velcro now covers the front searchlight. I saw stormforce's post on adding navigation lights and am waiting for my LED's and resistors to arrive. My searchlight will be mounted as far forward as possible and in one of the photos you should be able to see the hole that I have drilled for the LED.
Jul 06, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless
You can probably find it in one of the parts packs. Not sure if banggood has the screw kit for 9116 anymore.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/9116/ind...0-0_page1.html
Thanks I spent the better part of the evening ripping apart my electronics horde and found a suitable replacement screw in one of my laptops holding in the wireless NIC (its got a dead screen so I run a media server on it and use the LAN so the screw was fair game). It got me flying again so now I just need to sort out the balance issue with my under carriage hot swap battery contraption and I should be good to go.

Quick Reply