Nov 12, 2019, 04:59 PM
Wombii, I tried to slow down the turn signal in the version 3.02, but changing the BlinkInterval value does not change the blink interval of the turn signal.
When the turn signal is active it does not have the same interval all the time, it starts at an certain interval and after some amount of blink cycles it slows down a little bit.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry about the confusion caused by the somewhat rough hack of splicing in my new light functions. There are still a number of variables that defined the behaviour of the older light functions, and you found some of them.
If you scroll to the bottom of the AA_UserConfig tab, you'll find three pairs of variables setting the flash behaviour of the new functions for blink, softblink and fastblink.
blinkLoopsPerCycle defines the speed of the flashing. A higher number is a longer, slower cycle. blinkLoopsOn defines the time the light spends on for each cycle. If this number is very short, you'll get a short strobe flash. A number equal to half of blinkLoopsPerCycle will mean it spends equal amount of time on and off.

Your other problem is more worrying, and it would help with more info.
What type of blink did you use? (blink, soft, fast)
Does the other types of blink behave the same way?
Does it stay at the faster rate, or does it randomly change between faster and slower?
Does the cycle rate change if you turn the turn signal off and then on?
Do you have other blinking lights that also change rate at the same time?
How much time (roughly) passes between rate changes?
Is the faster rate roughly twice as fast as the slower?
Which radio system are you using?

Thank you for your help in troubleshooting this matter.
Last edited by Wombii; Nov 12, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 03:16 AM
Thanks @ LukeZ for getting back with the additional input about different transmitter suggestions. I just may try out the FlySky (thanks for the link btw) the price is not bad considering what I paid for my Horus X10 a couple years ago. I also installed custom firmware on that too, so I'm sure I can manage.

Just wanted to also share that I'm having a blast with this project! Working on getting it down to a nice, clean, and tidy package. Started with an Arduino UNO protoshield, though not very compact, but just enough space for me to work with on my first attempt. Then I figured out how to use a NPN transistor on one of the light channels to allow me to keep my super bright 12v headlights, and still keep the PWM functionality (Xenon effect, fade off, etc.) without having to tweak the code. Although, my car can only run on 2s (NPRC rules) I have a step up converter to run my headlights, so I have the transistor wired in to act like a relay for my headlight channel.

Now that I got all that figured out, I am working on getting everything down to a smaller package with the Arduino MKR Protoshield with my Nano. Will share once I am done.

Thanks again to all who had time to help me through my difficulties, once I got it to work it inspired me to see what else I can do, and thanks for the awesome project Luke Z.
Nov 17, 2019, 11:35 AM
hey guys , my car is almost done, everything seem ok except a little thing
i don't see any change in : TurnSignalDelay_mS . I set it to 4000 but as soon as i turn my wheels they blink, this parameter should start my turn signal after 4s even if my wheels are turned or am i wrong or fortgot something?
thanks
Last edited by joebar65; Nov 17, 2019 at 12:57 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebar65
hey guys , my car is almost done, everything seem ok except a little thing
i don't see any change in : TurnSignalDelay_mS . I set it to 4000 but as soon as i turn my wheels they blink, this parameter should start my turn signal after 4s even if my wheels are turned or am i wrong or fortgot something?
thanks
Hi there Joebar. I'm not sure because I am still new to this but I think you have to make sure that the parameter"BlinkTurnOnlyAtStop" is set to "true" in order for that to work.
Nov 17, 2019, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gswagg
Hi there Joebar. I'm not sure because I am still new to this but I think you have to make sure that the parameter"BlinkTurnOnlyAtStop" is set to "true" in order for that to work.
hi , all help is welcome , but i already activated "BlinkTurnOnlyAtStop"
for each side of the car my AA_light_setup is set to "blink"
my setup file in the link

sry if my english is wrong
Nov 17, 2019, 04:14 PM
Hey Joebar65, no worries, your english is fine bud! I was looking at your file and, again, I could be mistaken but perhaps the drag brake setting could be the culprit. Does the turn signals come on when you turn while coasting? or, while you are on throttle?

If that's not it, I'm afraid I must digress and let the pros help you through this. Sorry, I wish I could be of more assistance, but I am new to this too.

Best wishes getting this worked out. I am sure once one (or a few) of the other guys logs on they will be able to get you going fast, they are great.

Have fun!
Nov 18, 2019, 01:44 PM
thanks for the answer.
well i didn't tried all functions, the problem was me
when I move forward/backward then turn right or left then my led blink after 4s (time set in config) .
So "TurnSignalDelay_mS" works well after moving the car and stop. i made my test without moving or after switch on the transmitter .

i'll make another tests, when i plugged my battery this evening I had only forward/backward functions and turn + ch3 were "missing" : weird
Nov 18, 2019, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Hi Joe, sorry for the slow reply, life is pretty hectic here at the moment.

You are correct, the turn delay setting probably doesn't take effect until the first time the car moves forward or backward.

Let us know if you get your other issue sorted with the "missing" channel 3, if nothing else it is worth running through Radio Setup again (and do it while connected to Serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE to confirm that it is saving your channels correctly).
Nov 19, 2019, 02:23 AM
Quote:
thanks for the answer.
well i didn't tried all functions, the problem was me
when I move forward/backward then turn right or left then my led blink after 4s (time set in config) .
So "TurnSignalDelay_mS" works well after moving the car and stop. i made my test without moving or after switch on the transmitter .

i'll make another tests, when i plugged my battery this evening I had only forward/backward functions and turn + ch3 were "missing" : weird
Thats awesome you got your initial problem worked out Joebar! Hopefully you find what went missing tomorrow.
Nov 19, 2019, 10:26 AM

Blink interval variation during blinking

Wombii,

Thanks for your reply, I'm using a FLySky GT3C with an hacked firmware which expanded the channels from 3 to 8 all programmable.
The only problem I have is when connecting an 8 channel FlySky receiver with 5 position switch on the OSL board. This also causes strobe effects on all LED outputs, but when I connect a 3 channel FlySky receiver with 5 position switch everything is working like a charm.
I suspect this to be the issue with the refresh time of the channels, but only on the 8 channel receiver.
I hoped this can be resoved with the implementation of the refresh timer

I was interested in the new light function you implemented because as I have connected the light controller to a TRX-4 Bronco I need to have 2 channels per side for the indicators, front and side and the rear in combination with rear lights and brake lights.
Although I did not notice any strange behavior during blinking, xenon and fade off having this work independently at the same time.
I changed the blinkLoopsPerCycle and the blinkLoopsOn both to 50 which slowed the blink behavour down to an acceptable frequence.Still the behaviour of the blink cycles varied when the indicator is blinking.

At this time I did not test if this behavior is also present in the soft or fast blink.

I attached a video showing the blink interval vary when using indicator or hazard lights.
Nov 19, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
Hi Joe, sorry for the slow reply, life is pretty hectic here at the moment.

You are correct, the turn delay setting probably doesn't take effect until the first time the car moves forward or backward.

Let us know if you get your other issue sorted with the "missing" channel 3, if nothing else it is worth running through Radio Setup again (and do it while connected to Serial Monitor in the Arduino IDE to confirm that it is saving your channels correctly).
ahahah don't worry , we are on a forum, not on an instant messager , I would never blame someone if an answer is not made in a couple of seconds
at least i discovered things myself, and i have a question : i'd like to try to increase this delay to 6s, if I change the setting and upload the program to my card does it reset my radio setup??
Nov 19, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
i have a question : i'd like to try to increase this delay to 6s, if I change the setting and upload the program to my card does it reset my radio setup??
Good question - and no, re-flashing firmware will not delete your saved radio settings.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:29 PM
thanks lukeZ, i uploaded my setup with 6s delay and all seem ok.
my body is almost done, I need to find a way to install it to my chassis and i make a little video as promise
Nov 21, 2019, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Great, glad everything is working out! And yes, videos are always good!

Quick Reply