Nov 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Open Source Lights - Arduino based RC Light Controller

I've been disappointed with the RC light controllers available on the market and decided to make my own. It works pretty well in my opinion so I decided I'd post it as an open source project.

Brief Description
  • 8 light outputs
  • Three channels of RC input (throttle, steering, and an optional 3rd channel)
  • Each light can respond to various model States: forward, reverse, stopped, stopped after delay, braking, right turn, left turn, no turn, accelerating, decelerating, and any of up to 5 positions for the channel 3 switch if attached.
  • For each light in each State the Setting defines the behavior of the light: on, off, fade on, fade off, blink, fast blink, soft blink, dim, xenon-on effect, or backfire effect.
  • The collection of all Settings for all lights in all States is called a Scheme. Multiple schemes can be defined and you can switch between them from your transmitter.
  • Schemes and other operating adjustments are made in the free Arduino IDE. Everything is well explained and you don't need to know how to write code.
  • Works with both 5 and 6 volt RC systems
  • The board design uses through-hole components and is easy to solder by hand.

Resources and Files

See this great video for an example of OSL in action. This is by Sergio from Switzerland,
he also contributed the code for the Xenon and backfiring effect.
Anonymous Drift Team & SRCDF (3 min 4 sec)

Last edited by LukeZ; Jun 02, 2021 at 01:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2011, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Here are a couple videos that show the device in operation.

Open Source RC Lights - Intro (5 min 58 sec)

Open Source RC Lights - Radio Setup (4 min 8 sec)

Open Source RC Lights - Example (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by LukeZ; Apr 08, 2021 at 08:48 PM.
Nov 14, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Reserved.
Nov 14, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Reserved.
Dec 09, 2011, 03:34 AM
thanks!
I have not started with Arduino yet, but this looks like a good reference when I'm ready.
Dec 11, 2011, 06:55 AM
Hi Luke

it's possible to upload this program in Arduino Pro Mini 328 ?
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9218
Dec 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
Yes, the code should work fine on the Pro Mini 328. It is the same processor used here just in a different package.
Dec 19, 2011, 09:50 PM
ELECTRIC R/C

Open Source Lights - Arduino based RC Light Controller

Ya this is great.......
Thanks..........

Like those ARDUINO projects.
Last edited by Jsutherland8; Dec 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: + ?
Dec 19, 2011, 11:54 PM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Excellent work. I really like the way you have the schemes set up.

Very well thought out. Keep up the good work.
Jan 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Could this be build on arduino board itself? I'm starting with it myself. Eventually I'd like a setup similar to yours but with few changes. I want hazard lights to come on say after 10sec standstill and a flame from exhaust - say 2-colour led flashing after letting off throttle. Is that doable? Thanks
Jan 17, 2012, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Fallaci - yes, you could use a standard Arduino board, you will just need to add the transistors for controlling your lights (or you can use the Arduino pins directly if you keep the current within limits!).

The code can be modified to do anything you like. I don't really have time to make many modifications right now but you are familiar with Arduino programming just take a look at the code, I think you will find it rather easy to add the features you are talking about.

Luke
Apr 05, 2014, 03:21 PM
Hi Luke,

great idea. Do you sell the bare boards? batchpcd does not worl

Cheers

Mike
Apr 05, 2014, 10:06 PM
kad
kad
Quad Crasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongKongPfui
Hi Luke,

great idea. Do you sell the bare boards? batchpcd does not worl

Cheers

Mike
You can get boards from OSH Park. You'll have to order 3, but it's only $18.50 for the set.

http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/uynap7Y6

-K
Apr 10, 2014, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Kad for responding. Mike, you're right, BatchPCB closed down and was bought out by OSH Park. You can order the boards from the link Kad provided. EDIT: To get the latest version, you should actually order from the link posted above in the Hardware Notes section. This fixes an issue with the transistor pins and has a cleaner silkscreen.

Also the instructional videos had gotten removed, but I reposted them, you will see them above.

To answer your question about whether I am providing boards: no, you should buy them from OSH Park.

HOWEVER - I do have four, assembled and tested boards which I will give away for free. I will mail them to the first four people who contact me via PM, BUT you must also indicate to me you have an actual project to use it in and you must commit to post your results here in this thread! If you just have a general idea of vague testing you would like to do, please do not request one. I want to see these end up in actual RC models.

Please send your requests to me via PM so we don't clutter this thread with it.
Last edited by LukeZ; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM.
Apr 10, 2014, 10:03 PM
nice project

but I think it lacks a honking.

add channel for speaker " Beepppppp"

and when turn left or turn right or reverse , speaker also will work as Led blink: Beep....beep........beep

Quick Reply