Apr 11, 2021, 09:40 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
If you wish, you may be able to get that hot glue to dissolve into a gooey gel with 70% Isopropyl alcohol. Disassemble, clean it up, and try again. Alcohol won't hurt the EPP.

Just work small areas with alcohol on a cotton swab and after several seconds pull chunks of the glue loose with tweezers or needle nose pliers.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2021, 08:25 PM
I've used IPA to break the hot melt bond before. It works well against solid things like servos or the tongue depressors. When I've tried to pull hotmelt from foam using IPA, no matter how careful I am or how much I use, I get a fair amount of foam pulling from the body and sticking with the glue. I would also have to pull the vertical stabilizer first as well. In order to more firmly attach the vertical stabilizer to the fuselage I cut two 50mm sections of the left over fiberglass rods and sunk them in the fuselage and mounted the vertical stabilizer on the posts. Each rod only added 1 gram and I believe this anchors the vertical stabilizers more firmly than all the hotmelt glue in the videos and if done correctly gets the alignment right. I believe I would do more damage trying to pull all that off. I've found reheating hotmelt works really well to remove the glue from foam but reheating only works through thin substrates, the horizontal stabilizer is too thick. My solution of moving the CG forward seems to be working. This is my first RC plane so I'm certainly not experienced enough to detect subtle details but so far I haven't observed any downsides.
Apr 13, 2021, 08:38 PM
I posted about this issue because in reading through all the posts I hadn't seen anyone having a similar experience. As Lee says, if there is one person willing to ask there are 10 with the same question who aren't. In Lee's recommendation to get the plane high and trim it so neutral stick the plane glides straight and at a steady slope, I would add that the rudder and elevator should be parallel with their respective stabilizers. If the rudder isn't straight then I would suspect the wing is either twisted on the fuselage or is asymmetric. If the elevator isn't straight, adjust the CG until it is. Then and only then is it appropriate to start adjusting the motor angles.
Apr 16, 2021, 09:31 PM
It's high time I got back to basics. I ordered the Albatross. If nothing else it'll block out the Arizona sun this summer.
Apr 17, 2021, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter
It's high time I got back to basics. I ordered the Albatross. If nothing else it'll block out the Arizona sun this summer.
Get the dihedral wings and bring a chaise lounge. I fly mine out in the desert and have to bring it down after 30 minutes because my neck gets stiff.
May 04, 2021, 10:57 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I have had several flyers who have ordered extra laminate so they can laminate the wing and tail of the Pelican and the Albatross. It adds some weight but the planes still fly well. It also adds life to the plane and helps to keep the foam clean. If you can keep the CG correct I think that it is a good idea and may be the recommended way to build in the future.

On the Q-P plane which is a modified Pelican kit, I laminated the wing and I love the way the plane flies.
May 05, 2021, 08:05 AM
Is it possible to get an airfoil on the tail section? I was thinking of building another pelican and taking it to the belt sander to streamline it.
May 05, 2021, 07:59 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
If you want to shape the leading edge you can use a razor blade or an iron that is hot enough to shape the foam. If you get the elevator too thin it isn't strong enough to work.
Today, 10:06 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
We try to add a couple of new products to our line up every year. We are curious what types of things would interest you. We do like to specialize in flying wings and slow flyers but are interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas.
Today, 11:07 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'd still like a 3D trainer that's design-biased towards crashworthy vs high performance. I can buy Twisted Hobby planes for the latter.
Today, 12:30 PM
Lee,

Have a look at Flex Innovation's Pirana. https://www.flexinnovations.com/prod...ana-super-pnp/ Obviously a CTH version would not feature a Le Mans race car profile. But the power options would appeal to a broad range of flyers. The dual vertical stabs/rudders and (whoa) air brakes are well within the CTH designing wheelhouse Essentially a 36" wing including a center "pod" for electrics. Anyway...food for thought.

Jim
Today, 01:07 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Good ideas. We have been discussing 3D lately. Give more ideas on how to make a different design that would accomplish the 3D flight envelope.

Part of the durability and long life of a flying wing is that it doesn't have a fuselage. Our QP will be an exception along with the other slow flyers.

We have been discussing bringing back the Snowball, Capricorn and Roswell too.

The Snowball and Capricorn are 3D capable. The problem with the Roswell was fitting it in a box that USPS liked.
Today, 01:57 PM
I like the idea of a 3d plane. I'm much more of a park flyer, so I tend to go for smaller planes.
I would also like a super light pelican sized(or smaller) STOL 3/5 channel plane that could fly super slow.
Today, 02:51 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Good ideas. We have been discussing 3D lately. Give more ideas on how to make a different design that would accomplish the 3D flight envelope.
Maybe do a prototype from an aileron Albatross with a center-mounted wing and H-stab (both in-line down the middle of the fuse). Straighten up the motor mount surface. Compare to current accepted designs from Twisted Hobby and West Michigan Park Fliers for similar wing sizing and fore/aft placement. Can you narrow the fuselage like you did with Pelican? Provide lightest power that will hover at near half throttle.

Then put it in the hands of someone with mad skills and have him tell you what it needs. I think you'll be close for just a basic 3D trainer. Perhaps elevators and rudder will need a bit of up-sizing and all surfaces will need to rotate 45 degrees. As long as it can hover, harrier and knife-edge with only low to moderate skills, that will be fine.

But there are a lot of 3D foamies out there. This one needs to be crash-worthy to set it apart.
Today, 03:41 PM

Product idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
We try to add a couple of new products to our line up every year. We are curious what types of things would interest you. We do like to specialize in flying wings and slow flyers but are interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas.
Biplane - Any size 3 channel or 4 channel. If it is tough as the Albatross & Pelican let me know how soon I can place an order.

Quick Reply