Jul 22, 2019, 05:15 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Yes, nose mount.
286 g. 10.06 oz. very light!
1400 motor etc. not powerful.

I tried to duplicate the setup in the Pelican Light Video. I do have the slender fuselage

CG is right on the spot but lawn darts if I toss it.

If I change to a very tail heavy CG, it flys very squirrely but glides nice and level. This makes no sense to me. If I set the CG per instructions, it will nose dart unless I glide in very fast to get enough elevator authority to stop the pitch.

The thrust angles of the thin fuselage seem very extreme to me. About twice what I’ve seen on other high wing trainers. But these don’t affect my power off glide problems

Too many projects going on so I won’t be free to try again for a week or two.
Last edited by mybad; Jul 22, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2019, 05:24 PM
Alright guys so after being ill for couple weeks I'm about to start albatross build, plan is nose mounted 3530 1700kv, 50a esc, 2200 or 3000 3S packs and some mg90's, thing I'm going back and forth on is laminating wing and possibly tail

I know Lee has laminated wing before but doesn't recommend tail, my question is how does EPP handle damp or humid conditions? thats my only worry for not laminating, this part of England isn't exactly known for its great weather
Aug 02, 2019, 11:36 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
If you are putting that much power on the nose you should be able to laminate the tail and not end up tail heavy.

This plane is designed to fly at 30 to 45 mph. That motor set up pulls at 80+ mph. You will have to play with the motor angle and build strong.
Aug 03, 2019, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
If you are putting that much power on the nose you should be able to laminate the tail and not end up tail heavy.

This plane is designed to fly at 30 to 45 mph. That motor set up pulls at 80+ mph. You will have to play with the motor angle and build strong.
Thanks Lee, I don't mind going smaller motor if its better, I just had this spare and saw you used it in past
Aug 03, 2019, 09:24 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I built my Albatross with the recommended weak knee'd 2812. Fun flyer. Then swapped on that 3530/1700 and a bigger battery to power it. The plane is obviously faster but not as fun a flier in every other way. For me light and nimble is just more fun than heavy and faster. And not really fast either. The plane has brickish aerodynamics and not a good choice for speedster.

Those were 40g and 75g motors IIRC. I think I might compromise with a 2830/1300 spinning an 8x6. That would be a 50g motor and get some of the attributes of each.
Aug 03, 2019, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I built my Albatross with the recommended weak knee'd 2812. Fun flyer. Then swapped on that 3530/1700 and a bigger battery to power it. The plane is obviously faster but not as fun a flier in every other way. For me light and nimble is just more fun than heavy and faster. And not really fast either. The plane has brickish aerodynamics and not a good choice for speedster.

Those were 40g and 75g motors IIRC. I think I might compromise with a 2830/1300 spinning an 8x6. That would be a 50g motor and get some of the attributes of each.
a 50-60g motor might be a good compromise, hmm I'll have a look see what options I have
Aug 03, 2019, 05:22 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
It is fun to have the higher climb rate but you have to make sure you get the plane reinforced enough.

This is a fun set up to fly. Here is one of my Albatross's with a 3530-1700 kv motor

Albatross Bomber with Ailerons (12 min 31 sec)

FPV Albatross at Squaw Peak with Mobius HD video (6 min 19 sec)
Aug 03, 2019, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
It is fun to have the higher climb rate but you have to make sure you get the plane reinforced enough.

This is a fun set up to fly. Here is one of my Albatross's with a 3530-1700 kv motor

https://youtu.be/Yu71auOkMIY

https://youtu.be/jz2vAkVnsiY
Thanks Lee, I don't mind adding some spars and extra tape or laminate to fuselage, its more I just don't really want to be messing around with motor angle
Aug 24, 2019, 10:06 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I got a question asking how I mix the ailerons and rudder. Here is my reply:

I am assuming you have a mode 2 radio with the throttle on the left that has a mixing function.

I like to trade the plug location for the aileron and rudder servos then mix the ailerons to the rudder on the right stick (in mode two radios)

I started doing this because I wanted to be able to switch back and forth between the aileron and poly wings without having to reprogram the radio or move the plugs on the receiver. I found that I liked the way it flew and the aerobatics that the aileron wing could do so much better that I used this same programming on all of my Albatrosses and Pelicans.

If I want a smooth aileron roll I use the left stick but if I want a snap roll or fast roll I use the right stick that has both the rudder and the ailerons.

Here are a couple of examples:

Pelican with Ailerons (8 min 28 sec)

Have fun flying

Lee
Aug 26, 2019, 01:59 PM
duplicate post
Last edited by tomlogan1; Aug 26, 2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: duplicate
Sep 11, 2019, 08:52 PM
I am considering an albatross that I can let newbies fly, but I also want to do some fun stuff with it. Stuff like a few bomb drops (one on the center fuse and one on each wing), and possibly even a wing-top piggyback system to carry up smaller planes or unpowered gliders and release. Would the Albatross with the stick motor mount and a larger motor be able to accomplish this? If not, what about a twin engine (motor) setup? Would the a storm chaser be a better platform for these antics? I'm afraid the storm chaser might be too scary for newbies due to the larger wingspan.
Sep 12, 2019, 06:40 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Due to new shipping regulations we are going to be discontinuing some of our big box planes including the Storm Chaser. I think we only have a few of the Storm Chasers with poly wing left.

I fly my Albatross with a 3530-1700 KV motor and can do bomb drops and towing with it. Here is a link to the motor.

http://rctimer.com/product-144.html

Here is an example. I flew this plane a couple of times today with friend who also flies an Albatross

Sep 30, 2019, 01:36 PM

Albatross dual motor

Thanks to ServiceRep and raybea528 for their advice, my 1st Albatross now sports dual motors. Like raybea528, I utilized the 2812-1534 motors with the mounting technique provided by ServiceRep. I'm used to launching both Albatorsses at 50% throttle. Not with this one, I launched at 1/2 throttle and it went straight up and almost looped. Subsequent launches are at about 25% and it climbs, but not as rapidly.

One issue I had during the upgrade was syncing the two motors. I was using two different manufacturer's Escs and the timing was off. The starboard motor would start up to about 25% before the port side motor. On shut down, the starboard would stay running longer than the port side. I tried all types of calibrating Escs but nothing worked.

I then switched to a pair of Hobby King Escs that I had and immediately all the problems were solved.

The plane now is very responsive and due the the great engineering by Lee and his group it just can't be beat.

Now to make Albatross #2 with ailerons a dual motor setup!
Last edited by tomlogan1; Sep 30, 2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply