May 14, 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
If you need to reinforce, why carbon? Why not just glue some balsa on both sides? Or if you don't have balsa or you're afraid it's not strong enough, use bamboo kebab skewers from the grocery store, or plastic from a cheap ruler, etc. etc.
A carbon fiber spar is about lightest, most ridged and easy to install thing I can think of.
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2017, 09:22 PM
Suit yourself, I just wouldn't order, pay postage and wait for the stuff to arrive when there are things lying around that would do the job. When balsa, even thin balsa, is glued on two sides of a piece of foam the whole thing is very rigid, and light. Bamboo is light too, and very strong, an excellent material.
May 14, 2017, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Suit yourself, I just wouldn't order, pay postage and wait for the stuff to arrive when there are things lying around that would do the job. When balsa, even thin balsa, is glued on two sides of a piece of foam the whole thing is very rigid, and light. Bamboo is light too, and very strong, an excellent material.
I don't have any of that on hand either, so it's a wash. I have a carbon arrow shaft anyway.

Just got back from the first session with my Albatross with poly wing. This is my third battery on the Albatross, and also the third battery on a fixed wing ever! I come from acro FPV quads, so I have some experience on the sticks, but putting some hours in a free sim gave me a huge head start and the confidence to go for it. This is full rates and no expo, the poly Albatross is really that easy to fly, thanks Lee!

CTH Albatross (2 min 51 sec)
May 14, 2017, 11:23 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Good flight. You are doing good turns and keeping the plane over the field.

Here are some things I like to do to fine tune my planes after the first flights.

First double check the CG.
Get some altitude and turn the motor off.
Trim the plane so it is floating flat and level and going straight.
Feed in some throttle and see what the plane does. Does it climb or dive.
It is natural to have the plane slowly climb and prop torque will put a gentle turn to the direction.

I will make minor changes to throws on the elevator and rudder and motor angle and CG to get the best performace out of the plane.

If it is too touchy turn the throws down or move the CG forward. If it won't pull up in a motor off glide move the CG back or turn the elevator throws up.

I like to keep working on trims even after I get airplane flying well to see if I can fine tune it to fly better.
Last edited by Lee; May 14, 2017 at 11:29 PM.
May 15, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Good flight. You are doing good turns and keeping the plane over the field.

Here are some things I like to do to fine tune my planes after the first flights.

First double check the CG.
Get some altitude and turn the motor off.
Trim the plane so it is floating flat and level and going straight.
Feed in some throttle and see what the plane does. Does it climb or dive.
It is natural to have the plane slowly climb and prop torque will put a gentle turn to the direction.

I will make minor changes to throws on the elevator and rudder and motor angle and CG to get the best performace out of the plane.

If it is too touchy turn the throws down or move the CG forward. If it won't pull up in a motor off glide move the CG back or turn the elevator throws up.

I like to keep working on trims even after I get airplane flying well to see if I can fine tune it to fly better.
Good tips! I'll get it trimmed up tomorrow before my first flight using a TX03.

Lee, what size rubber bands does the albatross use?
May 15, 2017, 12:03 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog
Good tips! I'll get it trimmed up tomorrow before my first flight using a TX03.

Lee, what size rubber bands does the albatross use?
I think they are called #64. Most office supply stores have them.
May 15, 2017, 11:14 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I think they are called #64. Most office supply stores have them.
I found the bands that came from CTH to be too short & tough to stretch. Regular #64's fit fine, but I leave my planes assembled and the cheap rubber bands disintegrated in storage. So I bought a box of synthetic rubber (ie non-latex) bands which have a reputation for better toughness and reusabililty and so far they've worked out well.

https://www.amazon.com/Alliance-3764...e+rubber+bands
May 15, 2017, 05:15 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
I found the bands that came from CTH to be too short & tough to stretch. Regular #64's fit fine, but I leave my planes assembled and the cheap rubber bands disintegrated in storage. So I bought a box of synthetic rubber (ie non-latex) bands which have a reputation for better toughness and reusabililty and so far they've worked out well.

https://www.amazon.com/Alliance-3764...e+rubber+bands
They look like a good idea. What is everyone else using? I like the stock 64s because they are so available and inexpensive. As long as they aren't stored in the sun and taken off the model they seem to last fairly long.

Here is a video from our last sWARm. The wind was howling most of the day but that didn't stop us.

sWARm in the Wind (5 min 53 sec)
May 21, 2017, 12:31 AM
I finally FPV'd my Albatross. This footage is with a poly wing and TX03, third fpv fixed wing flight ever. So much fun, can't wait to try it with the aileron wing. The tx03 looks better in the goggles, I was very surprised by the quality and range on the 200mw setting. Extremely light and easy to install, I think it's a great option for those who want to get into FPV cheap.

Pretty constant 5-10mph wind and gusts in this video by the way.

CTH Albatross w/ Eachine TX03 (5 min 50 sec)
May 21, 2017, 03:32 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
I experienced this same camera/transmitter a couple of weeks ago on another flyers plane at the club field. He was doing take offs and landings on a bigger biplane with what you are seeing in the video. I was impressed with his ability and the clear image through the camera.