Nov 11, 2011, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Jumbo Home Depot Super Dart

New Photos and video after conversion to F-106, 3/5/2012.

This video is from March 9th, 2012. Aerobatics and hover attempts.

Giant Foamie Home Depot F-106 Delta Dart Flown by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 57 sec)

This video is from November 24th; after full development. The thread takes you through each modification.

Airshow: Jumbo Home Depot Super Dart flown by Otto Dieffenbach (4 min 57 sec)

This video is from November 28th and focuses on low, slow flight.

Jumbo Super Dart Low and Slow by Otto Dieffenbach (4 min 58 sec)

I have replaced the preliminary plans and parts layout with the final versions. Basic specs remain the same except it is now 4s and has an all up weight of 80 oz.

I wanted a new challenge and like my Sea Darts so much I decided to see how large a foamie Dart I could build from one sheet of R-TECH foam. My other design criteria were to make sure I could fit it in my minivan and to try to keep it under 60 ounces AUW, less than 3 oz per sqft. This should definitely be a floaty. I've included the preliminary plans and parts layout on the R-TECH sheet. I've done about 4 hours of work to this point and airframe build cost is under $11 without paint. I plan to run 3s on my Scorpion 3026, 980kv motor with an APC 12x6 prop; 79 oz of thrust.

Specs:

6.5 ft wingspan
8 ft in length
21 sqft of wing area
79 oz of thrust
Target weight under 60 oz.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Mar 09, 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Update plans, insert videos
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2011, 09:15 PM
Registered DLG addict
Nice looks fun, hope to see it completed.
Nov 11, 2011, 09:54 PM
How many sticks of hot glue to put this one together? hehe

Just kidding, looks like fun, I'll be watching with interest...

Do you rip your spars out of 2x6's or 2x4's?

Bill
Nov 11, 2011, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge
How many sticks of hot glue to put this one together? hehe

Just kidding, looks like fun, I'll be watching with interest...

Do you rip your spars out of 2x6's or 2x4's?

Bill
Using Gorilla Glue and epoxy. I buy 36" x 3/8" square hardwood from Home Depot for 95 cents each.
Nov 12, 2011, 12:42 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Subscribed.
Nov 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
Registered FFF Addict
6.5ft WS my kind of build. Haven't used R-Tech of interested on how it does.

Watching with interest.
Nov 12, 2011, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
6.5ft WS my kind of build. Haven't used R-Tech of interested on how it does.

Watching with interest.
Grand Junction; home of the best Almond Toffee.

One of my convictions is that the R-TECH has one of the best strength to weight ratios, is durable and not brittle. I figured the best way to prove it was to go extreme in size and minimize weight. Total foam weight is now 29 oz and wood 4 oz. The airframe assembly is almost complete and will get an airframe weight then.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 12, 2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Nov 12, 2011, 05:45 PM
USAF Retired
Otto,

You're out of control...LOL!

I can't wait to see this monster.

Dennis
Nov 12, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_man
Otto,

You're out of control...LOL!

I can't wait to see this monster.

Dennis
.....unload for control!!!!! I can't believe how light it will be for its size. It also is quite strong.
Nov 12, 2011, 06:14 PM
I used to like trees
Watching with interest

You may have to file a flight plan and notify air traffic control when you launch that baby!
Nov 12, 2011, 07:06 PM
This is great fun! Should be fun to watch the maiden, I bet it flys like a dream, just be warry of the wind.

Bill
Nov 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
Registered FFF Addict
You know of Enstrom's World Famous Almond Toffee.
http://www.enstrom.com/
YUMMM I am not a big chocolate fan, but I have a hard time staying away from that stuff.

Waiting to see how you attach all the break down parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
Grand Junction; home of the best Almond Toffee.

One of my convictions is that the R-TECH has one of the best strength to weight ratios, is durable and not brittle. I figured the best way to prove it was to go extreme in size and minimize weight. Total foam weight is now 29 oz and wood 4 oz. The airframe assembly is almost complete and will get an airframe weight then.
Nov 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge
This is great fun! Should be fun to watch the maiden, I bet it flys like a dream, just be warry of the wind.

Bill
You are right, this is a kite. I have no experience with super low wing loadings so I expect to learn a lot.
Nov 12, 2011, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
You know of Enstrom's World Famous Almond Toffee.
http://www.enstrom.com/
YUMMM I am not a big chocolate fan, but I have a hard time staying away from that stuff.

Waiting to see how you attach all the break down parts.
I'd weigh 300 pounds if I lived there but it is beautiful.

Quick Reply