Builds money can't buy - share what The Dollarmodeler don't have :o) - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Nov 10, 2011, 02:47 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Builds money can't buy - share what The Dollarmodeler don't have :o)


Hi all i want to start this thread to share extraordinary modelers work in respect to building technology on rc modelplanes not availabe at kennedy composits, hobbyking.
Build not buy. Show what you have.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2011, 07:13 PM
Registered User










Nov 10, 2011, 07:49 PM
Registered User

WOW. True Here my parts starting to upload.


The size of the rudder is about 20" high. Weight is 65g 2 servos included.
Nov 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
Registered User
Ward Hagaman's Avatar
Wow, Recordcap! More details please?
Nov 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECORDCAP
The size of the rudder is about 20" high. Weight is 65g 2 servos included.
That is impressive. I hope for your sake it was designed in CAD, as that would be a nightmare to try and figure out the size and shape of all those parts otherwise
Nov 10, 2011, 09:37 PM
B for Bruce
BMatthews's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast
That is impressive. I hope for your sake it was designed in CAD, as that would be a nightmare to try and figure out the size and shape of all those parts otherwise
There's ways around that if you plan it out right and don't mind doing much of the shaping after the basic "flat" structure is put together.
Nov 11, 2011, 01:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
There's ways around that if you plan it out right and don't mind doing much of the shaping after the basic "flat" structure is put together.
I figured that was one way of doing it as well. I still wouldn't want to have to do it
Nov 14, 2011, 12:01 PM
Registered User

As requested here more details..


Here some more pictures.
USing Pinkfoam balsa and CF and transparent ultracote light.
Nov 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
Ego varius quis.
Cheesehead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECORDCAP
Here some more pictures.
USing Pinkfoam balsa and CF and transparent ultracote light.
That is very impressive.

Are those carbon laminate, or just painted black? The color is very striking.
Nov 15, 2011, 06:35 AM
Closed Account
Wow Thermaler, does that ever bring back memories! Have any of those shown, actually even come from kits? What is the wing span of the Aquila. My stock one was 100 inches.
Nov 15, 2011, 08:40 AM
Registered User
Hi Cheesehead,
assume this is because of the packers()). The construction is a mix of Balsa, Pink foam and carbon fiber laminate, extruded profile trailing edge and stripes (all ribs are capped). At the end I "painted" it with black permanent marker adding zero weight. Final coating is done with Oracover light. Carbon fiber most towards the surface where stress occurs.
I found this article very helpful and learned from:

http://themmmclub.com/pdf/structure.pdf
Nov 15, 2011, 12:09 PM
Balsa breaks better
Thermaler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
Wow Thermaler, does that ever bring back memories! Have any of those shown, actually even come from kits? What is the wing span of the Aquila. My stock one was 100 inches.
They are sort of from kits. I use the parts as patterns so when I oops I can rebuild.
The Aquila XL is a 150" version, they also did a 123" version called the Aquila Grande'.

Joe


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log If You Have !New!,Different,Interesting Plane Models In Your Head You Can Share Here RcLento Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 19 Nov 25, 2011 04:57 PM
Found Anyone local have a t-pro mg90 servo I can come buy this weekend??? ddrummer508 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 24, 2011 12:49 PM
Discussion Don't forget us with money & lack of knowledge gabber865 Multirotor Drone Talk 13 Apr 03, 2011 03:02 AM
Discussion Just Starting Out??? Don't Have Much Money??? No Problem!!!! flystoolow Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 12 Jan 14, 2008 07:39 AM
Crawlers don't have to cost lots of money! MUD4FUN Off-road Cars 1 Sep 07, 2004 03:46 PM