Nov 10, 2011, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Funbuild 5 - Guillows B17

Hi – I am new to this group – I have recently returned to the world of model building after a 20 year layoff and discovered that the internet is the place to be for all things RC. Over the last few months I have converted an Easybuilt Hampden and West Wings Hawker Hart to electric rc – some images attached.
My next project is the Guillows B17 – I have read some very good build logs on this site and will post my progress over the next few months
Last edited by Spitfire1954; Feb 07, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2011, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the site. You have some great looking planes there.
Are you going to do a build log of the B17?
Nov 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2
Welcome to the site. You have some great looking planes there.
Are you going to do a build log of the B17?
Hi There – yes it is my intention to do a build log
Nov 10, 2011, 10:14 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Hey Spitfire1954,

Welcome to RCGroups! Your Hampden and Hart are beautiful, so I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle the challenges of the Guillows B-17. I started one myself a few years back, but it's in "suspended animation" awaiting a revival of interest and space on my building board. Maybe your build will give me the former...

Steve
Nov 10, 2011, 12:46 PM
Or current resident
Welcome to rc groups and welcome back to modeling too!
Those are some nice models, how do they fly?

The B-17 is a bit of a challenge, I built one a few years back. The 'wood' in my kit was rubbish so I hand cut the parts from genuine balsa wood.
Mine is underpowered using GWS IPS motors as they were all that was available at the time. The model did fly ok at 20oz rtf with a 2 cell lipo but the pitch speed is too close to the stall speed for comfort.
It is currently in the maintenance hangar waiting for a set of brushless motors.
Please post a build thread, this model is underrepresented here.
Glenn
Nov 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Gravity sucks.
Neat stuff, like what you have already done with the other two...
Nov 10, 2011, 08:34 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Welcome, very nice work. I had to find a us distributer for the Hawker - A2Z Corp carries the West Wings line and Easy Built has a few candidates for conversion. Wonderful new finds for me. Thanks.

I have one of these with the formers cut out and that is about it. Maybe after the Privateer and a few other projects I'll finally get back to it. Will be watching with great interest how you tackle this one.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Nov 10, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Nov 11, 2011, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
Thanks to you all for your kind words and interest – My thoughts so far on this build are as follows:
I will be using 4 x 10g 18mm 1800kv outrunners with 4 x 6A ESCs and 3 blade GWS 5 x 3 props. I have studied the kit parts and plans, and to be honest the quality of the balsa and moulded plastic parts is good. I was planning to have the two outboard motors on one circuit connected to a 2 cell lipo and the same for the two inboard motors meaning 2 batteries – any advice on this would be appreciated. I am considering installing mechanical retracts – Irvine produce a neat unit F-IRV011 – but is the additional weight going to be a disadvantage? Any ideas on what the AUW should be on a build such as this? I will be using Spektrum DX6i radio with Super Tec Naro servos.
Nov 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
What advantages do you see from using two batteries? My Privateer is using a very similar power system, but the 10 gram motors are 2000kv. The six gram 6 amp esc I believe are manufactured by HobbyWing and they have a soft start setting that works nicely with the small motors with high kv, but I found it easier to use the programmer to set them up. It cranks pretty nice with a single two cell 2200kv battery, but there are 1300, 1600 and 1800 mah batteries of the nano tech chemistry that will be tried to see if they can hold up with the four motors drawing on them. The lightest one that can not sag too bad will get the ride. My preference would be to use retracts. I finally went with the 18.8 gram electric retracts from HobbyKing. They are inexpensive and so far have not given any problems.

Have you thought about the color scheme?

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Nov 11, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
Nov 14, 2011, 01:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP
What advantages do you see from using two batteries? My Privateer is using a very similar power system, but the 10 gram motors are 2000kv. The six gram 6 amp esc I believe are manufactured by HobbyWing and they have a soft start setting that works nicely with the small motors with high kv, but I found it easier to use the programmer to set them up. It cranks pretty nice with a single two cell 2200kv battery, but there are 1300, 1600 and 1800 mah batteries of the nano tech chemistry that will be tried to see if they can hold up with the four motors drawing on them. The lightest one that can not sag too bad will get the ride. My preference would be to use retracts. I finally went with the 18.8 gram electric retracts from HobbyKing. They are inexpensive and so far have not given any problems.

Have you thought about the color scheme?

Len
Hi Len – thanks for the information (I am new to electric rc and have based what I am proposing on what I have read) – I will study it and revert – I have decided to follow your route with regards to retracts, those 18.8s are very neat – I am leaning toward an aluminium finish for this B17 – there are some great images in 'The Mighty Eigth in Colour'. I was thinking of using Solite for the covering material, but am also thinking of sheeting the complete airframe – do you think this may add too much weight?
Nov 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Spitfire1954,

I read the thread Smokin' Beaver did on the Liberator and copied his approach pretty close. The Liberator had fairly flat sides so it was possible to get away with just using covering material, but when he did the B17 it was all sheeted. When I do my B17, it will most likely be sheeted. 1/32 balsa, if it is the lighter stuff shouldn't add that much weight to it.

There have been several B17s done and I will read all the threads before I do mine, but as of now I'm thinking it just won't look right without sheeting.

There are links to all the B17 builds in the Guillows sticky at the top of Scale Electric Planes.

I'll be watching with interest.

Len
Nov 15, 2011, 11:29 AM
Sheeting looks more scale-like but glue and balsa adds weight especially on smaller models that are heavily wing loaded to start with. I have to control the same urge for scale appearance vs enjoyable flying performance.

I watched a 6 foot foamy B-17 from Hobby King fly recently, stock motors, 3 blade props, two 2200mah 3S packs, took off in a few feet, flew at very scale speeds , landed light on it's feet, no damage to retractable landing gear . Damned foamies!!
Nov 15, 2011, 04:17 PM
Foam Av8r
Welcome to RCG Spitfire 1954
Looking forward to watching your Fort build
Nov 30, 2011, 12:40 PM
Looks GREAT.... Question for ya... I'm designing a P39 that appears to be using the same construction for the fuselage... I was planning on having 2 fuse halves (left/right) with each having their own center spine. It appears that you only have one. Is that the case?
In other words, did you build a left half over the center spine, then add the right half? I was thinking of make 2 separate halves with their own spine, and gluing together.
THANKS

Quick Reply