Jun 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Jcdfrd,
Thank you for the heads up! Your right I didn't see the proposed black hingelines over the brown background. With that said I'd go with something along those lines.
Tip edges and then control surface or control surface to the tip?

--RW
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2012, 02:26 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
Tip edges and then control surface or control surface to the tip?

--RW
Depends on construction techniques IMO. If you guys are going with hollow molded parts & skin hinges then is best to avoid the rounded off wingtip. If your using conventional dubro, hayes (my favorites for speed models) or ez hinges, then its imo easier to just cut off the entire elevator including the tip prior to cutting the hinge slots.
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Jun 03, 2012, 03:10 PM
Callsign blocked
Robert, looks to me like "4" is winning
I would like to propose a "3.5", exact original outline that 3 has, but with elevators like 4.

Glad to see its getting worked out
Jun 03, 2012, 03:18 PM
Classic jets rule
i think a nice hinged in the mold elev (Kevlar) would be sweet i like #4 also it just looks right . i've been testing a core material that would make a nice stiff composite skin.it's very lite and not as expensive as some core materials.having a sandwich of glass/core/glass is the way to go.
Jun 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
whether the servo is inside the fuse or outside the fuse, wouldn't the servo horn and linkage line in the same spot on the elevator? Unless you moved it way out on the stab of course but it would get real thin and be no room for the servo. With the servo mounted inside the fuse you can rotate the servo to get the linkage 90 degrees with the hinge line which is always best. I set up my Blaze like the Bandit with the linkage parallel to the flight path to reduce drag, but if servo is mounted inside the fuse, drag won't even be a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
I see that. But in your pics, servo is aligned with hinge line. Not at an angle from center of stab out to ele. like the proposed pic.

And your pic three is what I was talking about having to move servos out to align with inner edge of ele. and hinge line. Altho I would have pivoted the servos a couple degrees to perfect the alignment in that pic.
Jun 03, 2012, 04:28 PM
It's 14.5lbs with 10lbs installed thrust....its only going to go so fast

Yeah the horn and the servo movement should all be in line yeah. I though guys were saying the servo had to be rotated so that the linkage was 90 degrees to hinge line, which is not true based on the fact the Bandit elevator and rudder are not 90 and either is the Electra's elevator, rudder, or ailerons. Its not a 3d plane where we need 3" deflection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wagoner View Post
Your Blaze is nice. Only 175?

I think the point is the hinge line, horn and servo movement should be aligned for optimal setup so everything stays orthogonal to each other in all the movements.

--RW
Jun 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Well swept elevators with servos inboard under the thrust tube and rods slightly skewed out arent going to cut it much for mechanical geometry.

And there are other dealers around the world also looking into this so how about we stop jumping on anyone who says something that doesnt toe the line for our "favourite" shop, HET will take all the info onboard and then build a new Stab and we will all be happy
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jun 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
Robert, for ease of implementation and testing purposes options 1 and 2 would be my pick. The only deviations I would do is to carry the elevator all the way out to the tip (i.e. remove the ends as suggested by Extreme). I would also narrow the elevator cord/width. With this setup a single servo (GOOD) is still an option.

I was curious how the mod would look so I did a quick Paint mod

Fly this and make adjustments as needed.
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Jun 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
BOHICA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
.......And there are other dealers around the world.......also looking into this so how about we stop jumping on anyone who says something that doesnt toe the line for our "favourite" shop.
Hmm......another "uninformed opinion" I guess
Jun 03, 2012, 05:27 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Removing the tips makes it look like the wing, makes is easy for the factory to use the current Stab (albeit with mods, like a nice big Trailing edge twice the width of current one and using hard stock balsa) And means the elevator will move at 90 deg to the servo.

You could have a one piece elevator and still have 2 servos if you wanted to, my drawing was not to scale and still isnt but here is another version with the blue outlines showing where the hard balsa LE & TE should be, and the hardwood spars in the Stab just for clarity.

Oh and of course the elevator could be solid right across the centre, same width right through, as the exhaust overhangs the elevator anyway.
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Jun 03, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Jun 03, 2012, 05:46 PM
Done it all
With a split elevator there may be another problem created in solving the current problem.The horns would have to attach to the inside edge of each elevator half.

The best position would not be at the edge as it would put a twisting force on each elevator. If not at the edge, then the pushrods would have to go through the side of the tail cone, if the servos are mounted inside, as in the diagrams.

The split elevators may work better, even look better , but then the whole tail might have to be re-designed. The tail part of the fuse is thin, unsupported, and subject to twisting.

You actually have to inspect a current model of this plane in order to visualize how a fix could be made. End result without a major change to the design would be a better one piece elevator and solid stab. The present stab is hollow and actually crinkles if the bolts are tightened.

CN and Ace don't have a flutter or weakness problem, so perhaps the fix is simple, solid stab, single one piece elevator, better method of attachment.
Jun 03, 2012, 05:49 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Hmm......another "uninformed opinion" I guess
At least they bring something to the table.
Jun 03, 2012, 06:16 PM
BOHICA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller View Post
At least they bring something to the table.
You got me there Ace.......no more comment from here.
Jun 03, 2012, 07:00 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike warren View Post
you got me there ace.......no more comment from here.
+1
Jun 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
Suspended Account
Vic, how old are you? Seems to me the force is not strong in you. You must yield to those jedi who know much more before you.

+100 to Mike master Jedi.

Quick Reply