Jul 02, 2012, 04:59 AM
Lee Liddle
Nitro powered boats
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2012, 06:09 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50
The club is PalmBeach R/C club. the field is located off of Atlantic Ave in Delray Beach. Take turnpike to Atlantic Ave go west til the road ends. Park entance on right follow road to the back of the park.......
Wow! its been a long while since I've been down there. They've done a nice job on changing from weeds to grass and even better is the paving! Wish the county would help us at the Bush pilots field.
Jul 02, 2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero
Wow! its been a long while since I've been down there. They've done a nice job on changing from weeds to grass and even better is the paving! Wish the county would help us at the Bush pilots field.
Come on down and fly at this field. Just have to have AMA, no club membership required. We will se you here!!!
Jul 02, 2012, 11:14 AM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Very nice recovery. Not only one, but two independent stalls.

I flew the prototype during its initial trials at 4.75" CG... even that much was enough to call the aft limitation @ 4.5" back!!!

Vic
Jul 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller
Very nice recovery. Not only one, but two independent stalls.

I flew the prototype during its initial trials at 4.75" CG... even that much was enough to call the aft limitation @ 4.5" back!!!

Vic
The Center of Pressure(Cp) must have moved Aft with the flaps deployed thus moving it further aft of the Center of Gravity making it very unstable. When I added flaps this thing got crazy unstable. I was lucky to recover and land it .
Jul 02, 2012, 12:54 PM
Speed Demon
That was one heck of a nice save!
Jul 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
Done it all
Falcon

I hope you can experimeent with the flap isssue some more, we need to slow that baby down a little to avoid running off the end of our 500 ft runway.

Al
Jul 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
al i fly mine on a 400 ft runway at 4500 asl. it slows down just fine
Jul 02, 2012, 01:52 PM
3DHOG
brakes anyone??
Al
I fly off a 400' runway and when I got TJ F16 that came with brakes it took all the stress of having to have a perfect landing away. now I have to have brakes on all my large edf jets. not too mention the high cool factor.
Jul 02, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50
The Center of Pressure(Cp) must have moved Aft with the flaps deployed thus moving it further aft of the Center of Gravity making it very unstable.
I know that... I know you know that... but I love the glazed look on students' faces when I try explaining this for the first time...

But yes, Flaps are very effective on this model and surprisingly create no known pitching tendency throughout the recommended CG.
With Full Flap deployment (~45-60 degrees) I've easily crossed the threshold around 30-35mph and used maybe 350ft to a full stop with no brakes on my heavy 9.75lbs 12s bird. Obviously a little headwind can only help matters, and brakes are definitely way cool, but certainly not required.
Jul 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
On that note, check out the landing on the following video ---
- My blue Sniper is 12s 9.75lbs. still comes in reasonably slow on what I consider a normal length approach.
- Brent's Navy Sniper is a little lighter, comes in super slow and touches down right on the runway edge line with a pretty quick stop.

Vic

Twin Snipers @ LA Jets.wmv (4 min 9 sec)
Jul 02, 2012, 07:28 PM
Completed flights 7 and 8 today. The Sniper on 10S climbs very nice. Pretty much unlimited vertical. Did a couple of Full throttle high altitude passes. It was a little gusty today and the Sniper showed it. Next couple of flights I will be bringing it down lower for some fast passes. The Sniper should not be a problme in 450' runway. Ours is 600 ' and I could get it stopped well before the end of ours. It does slow down nicely with 50 degrees of flap. My landings today where not the best. Thanks for trail-n-link gear made it look better than it was. First landing got a little too slow ran out of elevator hit a little hard . Second landing touch down flew the nose and gust of wind brought it back into air then touched down . Some days are good landing days and other well you know. Moving on to flight 9 and 10. So far no issues with elevator.
Jul 03, 2012, 09:01 AM
Done it all
Awesome, the video is very inspiring. I love the low passes and the landings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller
On that note, check out the landing on the following video ---
- My blue Sniper is 12s 9.75lbs. still comes in reasonably slow on what I consider a normal length approach.
- Brent's Navy Sniper is a little lighter, comes in super slow and touches down right on the runway edge line with a pretty quick stop.

Vic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnoSlOXzIAY&feature=plcp
Jul 03, 2012, 12:00 PM
Not a Drone pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
Awesome, the video is very inspiring. I love the low passes and the landings.
Yo Al. Bring that bad boy up to buttonwillow this weekend and I will put her threw the paces. I do like how it slows for landing.
James
Jul 03, 2012, 04:53 PM
Classic jets rule
whos all going to the willow?

Quick Reply